Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
Can someone explain this "triggers" thing to me? It sounds dumb but I want to make sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
suck my dick

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp
idiots pretend to have emotional issues which are offset by something asinine for attention

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

triggered :D

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Trigger are people who make anime.

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

they are like the button on a gun to make it shoot

pew pew

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
it's like if you have PTSD and you hear a car backfire and freak out - the car backfire triggered your PTSD

somehow I think you knew that already

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
so why is gbs triggered all the time? does everyone here have ptsd :confused:

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
needs more 5 guys burgers and fries i guess :shrug:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Trigger started out as a word to describe a phenomenon which could cause someone with a serious mental illness or trauma to be launched into a fugue state wherein they experience extreme anxiety and discomfort. Violent outbursts are also possible when triggered.

Its definition has since been expanded to include "anything that makes anyone less than happy for any reason and to any degree."
"Triggers" are often used as an excuse for weak people to never leave their comfort zone and, in-fact, contract that zone over time.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a mental health condition that's triggered by a terrifying event — either experiencing it or witnessing it. Symptoms may include flashbacks, nightmares and severe anxiety, as well as uncontrollable thoughts about the event.

Many people who go through traumatic events have difficulty adjusting and coping for a while, but they don't have PTSD — with time and good self-care, they usually get better. But if the symptoms get worse or last for months or even years and interfere with your functioning, you may have PTSD.

Getting effective treatment after PTSD symptoms develop can be critical to reduce symptoms and improve function

Post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms may start within three months of a traumatic event, but sometimes symptoms may not appear until years after the event. These symptoms cause significant problems in social or work situations and in relationships.

PTSD symptoms are generally grouped into four types: intrusive memories, avoidance, negative changes in thinking and mood, or changes in emotional reactions.

Intrusive memories

Symptoms of intrusive memories may include:

Recurrent, unwanted distressing memories of the traumatic event
Reliving the traumatic event as if it were happening again (flashbacks)
Upsetting dreams about the traumatic event
Severe emotional distress or physical reactions to something that reminds you of the event
Avoidance

Symptoms of avoidance may include:

Trying to avoid thinking or talking about the traumatic event
Avoiding places, activities or people that remind you of the traumatic event
Negative changes in thinking and mood

Symptoms of negative changes in thinking and mood may include:

Negative feelings about yourself or other people
Inability to experience positive emotions
Feeling emotionally numb
Lack of interest in activities you once enjoyed
Hopelessness about the future
Memory problems, including not remembering important aspects of the traumatic event
Difficulty maintaining close relationships
Changes in emotional reactions

Symptoms of changes in emotional reactions (also called arousal symptoms) may include:

Irritability, angry outbursts or aggressive behavior
Always being on guard for danger
Overwhelming guilt or shame
Self-destructive behavior, such as drinking too much or driving too fast
Trouble concentrating
Trouble sleeping
Being easily startled or frightened
Intensity of symptoms

PTSD symptoms can vary in intensity over time. You may have more PTSD symptoms when you're stressed in general, or when you run into reminders of what you went through. For example, you may hear a car backfire and relive combat experiences. Or you may see a report on the news about a sexual assault and feel overcome by memories of your own assault

FrankenVader
Sep 12, 2004
Polymer Records
A database trigger is procedural code that is automatically executed in response to certain events on a particular table or view in a database. The trigger is mostly used for maintaining the integrity of the information on the database. For example, when a new record (representing a new worker) is added to the employees table, new records should also be created in the tables of the taxes, vacations and salaries

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i think you meant "burgers" OP. i recommend 5 guys burgers and fries

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

That's what I call my black friend. His real name is Trent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

It's dumb - I know someone with severe PTSD and honestly only a few people have ever even needed to know about 'triggers' and day-to-day they can be worked around without anyone even noticing. They certainly never need to be mentioned on the internet because words generally aren't triggering because you can just stop loving reading them, a TV report can be turned off, a loud noise can be rationalised away after a few seconds of blind panic and anxiety and life goes on. Being annoyed because someone mentioned penises or referred to you as 'she' instead of 'xhe' on your internet blog is not a loving 'trigger'.

• Locked thread