Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

rakovsky maybe posted:

Help me BFC, you're my only hope.
nm

swenblack fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Mons Hubris posted:

Thanks for the replies. Good to know you can self-teach and get decent results. I guess I didn't realize you could get job interviews without some kind of degree or certifications.

You'd probably want some project portfolio though. Which you can make on your own time if you got the gumption. Most people who do this though love coding and have no problem churning it out.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Alright you fruit it's time to ignore the half assed posts that have cropped up in this steaming turd of a thread and listen to me. I'm your new life coach, your genie, but instead of Robin Williams we're going to be robbing millions on your behalf throughout the rest of your life. Here's how.

While at your current lovely job or whatever, get into a month long CNA course. This is optional but will make the next step easier, which is passing a state CNA exam. You can take it on your own and the written part is dead easy. Study the skills for two days if you choose to skip the course.

Once certified, get a CNA job. No hospital will hire you, so you'll be working at an assisted living facility. Don't choose hospice. Now you're making like 12-15 per hour maybe. Work until you somehow land a job in a hospital, and take whatever they give you. It will likely be a night shift.

Now that you're hospitalized, keep working until you qualify for the program that pays for your nursing school. Make them pay for your nursing school. Attend nursing school and continue working at your hospital until your contract runs out. Now you're making normal person money, hopefully. At this point, meet a nice girl whose parents are hopefully richer than yours. Act fast, because you have about 7 months to propose.

Work your way into the cardiovascular ICU, then work there for a year or 2.

Get into a school for nurse anesthesia or become a nurse practitioner. Attend school, don't flunk. You're married now, so hopefully the girl's parents will help with expenses while you're out of work.

Get out of school, make six figures. Not 200k, but you're not done! Maybe you have a kid by now, maybe your sperm doesn't work. Who knows!

While working, partner up with one of your somewhat affluent coworkers to start a side business. It will suck at first, but eventually you'll make good money! And you won't be eating ramen until it succeeds. Don't let the fucker sleep with your wife. If you need ideas for a business, I suggest branding your own vitamin water. That poo poo is only going up from here I'm pretty sure.

Alright, your brand has taken off! Maybe that appearance on Shark Tank's modern equivalent really helped you out! You're making well over 200k at this point and your product is sold in stores all over the country. Maybe overseas?? Better go check, book a flight and get a BJ from the flight crew you rich son of a bitch.

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical

Cicero posted:

Hitting 200k isn't that hard. Senior engineers and even mid-levels at many companies in the bay area do it (assuming you include RSUs and bonuses).

This is pretty much my plan in terms of hitting $150k+ salary by the time I hit 35. I'm studying electrical engineering now and hope to go into embedded systems/software.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Devian666 posted:

2. These degrees are only useful in the context of what I stated in 1. An MBA is worthless other than networking. While on holiday I bought a book for $25 AUD that contains the majority of what you would learn in an MBA. I did a lot of the content while completing my chemistry degree so the book is good and better value for money that paying tuition costs/wasting your life.

You say that like that isn't super important. Networking is exactly what you need to get somewhere without spending half your life in poo poo-tier jobs.

• Locked thread