Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Waroduce posted:

Re: Quarterback Talent

This is a good post and USA #1, but what was meant was that regardless of the rule changes or schemes, the overall distribution of talent to take advantage of the present situation is the same as it's always been. That is to say there's the same number of effective starters in the league capable of producing in this environment to the standards we expect of a "good" quarterback as there were back in the 70s, just that the situation and those standards have all changed over time.

That being said, I disagree with that notion - because as people have said there were a lot more quarterbacks that seemed to be in the "top tier" recently, where as before you had a very clearly set group of the "elite" and then a very clear set of everyone else (with an obvious bottom to everyone else). Now this may be because we see offenses with more talent or quicker advances in offensive scheming, but as the league was still adjusting to the different rules we saw a spike in QB play relative to the past averages. Not in terms of stats (though of course we saw that), but in numbers of QBs that were able to play at a high level. I think that's leveled off some, as defenses have adjusted we're back to more historically "reasonable" performances from QBs - the average numbers are up, but the number of truly distinguishable QBs are about the same.

We still have no idea what's coming though, look at how people were projecting Cam's draft class worth of QBs, or how quickly RG3's career was completely destroyed. I doubt we'll go back to the crazy amount of "talent" we had in the mid-late 00's, but there's plenty of promise in the future.

Speaking of cam - I'm so glad That Works is getting shouted down for being a total loving idiot. You can't seriously argue that there are "excuses" made for Cam and he's just an average QB. Especially if you factor in his contributions on the ground and his size/long term durability. He's shown himself to be a young quality starter that can absorb some damage and change how defenses scheme against his team as a whole. You lock guys like that up and you hold on tight. Or you end up in QB-limbo, like the Saints every year before Brees, or about 10 other teams in the league right now.

Also Ray RIce is definitely worth kicking the tires on, you're going to see if a guy who has shown great pass catching/blocking abilities has enough left in his legs to contribute as a situational 3rd down player. I also agree with the bills fan that said he shouldn't be in Buffalo, their backfield has enough talent. But the guy who said he'd do well in Dallas? Spot on. Give him a line like that, a QB that would make good use of a swing safety valve, and an oft-injured starting RB that he could spell for stretches, it's a perfect fit. Since it's the Cowboys and PR is the #1 concern with the wife-beating piece of poo poo, you're never going to see it, but it'd be a great idea for them to give him a shot.

Last thing - gently caress i'm stoked for football to come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

FizFashizzle posted:

Last year cam had torn ankle ligaments, broken ribs, and was tboned and had his back broken and very nearly killed.

I'm pretty confident he'll be better this year.

But he had such a good offensive line opening holes for DeAngelo WIlliams, Mike Tolbert, and 3 plays worth of J Stew, or blocking until he could throw to Philly Brown and Jericho Cotchery! His numbers still went down because he's a fraud!

Edit: Chilichimp I know you're joke posting but please stop because i get trolled too easily and take everything on the internet serious so my heart cant take your saying Tebow is better than Alex Smith tia

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Bad Moon posted:

I'm still super salty about that time Ted Ginn Jr returned a punt and a kickoff for a touchdown against the Seahawks when he was playing for the Niners.

Nah that loving owned. They were within like 20 minutes real time too if I remember right.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

@APMarkLong: Jaguars awarded QB Jeff Tuel off waivers from Buffalo

thank god

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

That Works posted:

Realtalk, what do you use for facts if not numbers in this scenario?

I use his on field play as an indicator most importantly decision making . Cam isn't perfect but last year he made huge strides as a passer so next year it's very possible for him to be better but maybe not statically better.

That Works posted:

You say he doesn't have a good supporting cast or system but has that been significantly improved this season? If so how would that be quantified?

If the new left tackle is average I say cam's supporting cast has significantly improved just on the fact he won't have to worry about his blind side all the time. I'm not sure how that will be quantified because the growth of the players around him and how good funchess/all the other rookies is unknown.

That Works posted:

In part I agree with you as I said in my earlier post that he wouldn't get any better without a change of scenery. I feel like it's just people making excuses for Cam though because his numbers are steady or slightly dropping each year and you can always point to another part of the team that isn't doing well and make that the issue.

You have the right to feel that way but I feel like it's a little premature to feel like that for a qb that has looked as promising as cam.

That Works posted:

Like, a common opinion is that Brees is old and busted after last season (that's getting close to being true :ohdear: ). You could also say that since his defense was dogshit and he was throwing a lot down a few scores that secondaries had an easier time picking him off and hurting his stats.

Brees will be fine

That Works posted:

Cam might be good, with the right team around him. With the team he has right now he's average, and I don't see anything changing to make him significantly better. Maybe if he played for another team whose QB was nearing the end of his career...

Which says a lot because the offense around him has been pretty bad.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Nick mangold's sister is the better athlete.

https://instagram.com/p/3Znllss7xi/

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

KettleWL posted:

But he had such a good offensive line opening holes for DeAngelo WIlliams, Mike Tolbert, and 3 plays worth of J Stew, or blocking until he could throw to Philly Brown and Jericho Cotchery! His numbers still went down because he's a fraud!

Edit: Chilichimp I know you're joke posting but please stop because i get trolled too easily and take everything on the internet serious so my heart cant take your saying Tebow is better than Alex Smith tia

good thing all of those things are better now

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Parmesan Basil posted:

All of the QBs in the discussion are better than the one on my team. Please be more considerate when complaining about your top twenty-five QB. Thank you.

Please don't quarterback shame

Ehud posted:

@APMarkLong: Jaguars awarded QB Jeff Tuel off waivers from Buffalo

thank god

I'm glad Tuel Time will continue , even if it's not in Buffalo.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

PrinceRandom posted:

good thing all of those things are better now

His line is somewhat improved (theoretically anything they put there is an improvement), he has another target in Funchess (remains to be seen if that matters of course), another year of development in Benjamin, and hopefully significantly less injuries this year. Next year they're entirely out of cap hell and can make a run at some targets, or linemen, or (most likely) terribly over pay for an old RB!

Regardless, the point wasn't that Cam Newton's situation is now perfect, the point was that Cam's situation has been pretty loving terrible, actively getting worse since his rookie year. What That Works is calling regression is really him keeping the team afloat as they toss more and more weight on top of him. It'll get better, eventually.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

FizFashizzle posted:

Nick mangold's sister is the better athlete.

https://instagram.com/p/3Znllss7xi/

good god

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014
Great news on the Cam Newton signing. It's nice to have a franchise QB. Honestly, there are 3 QB's I'd rather sign to a 5 year deal today. They are:

- Rodgers
- Luck
- Wilson

Every one else is old (Brees, Manning), beat up (Roethlisberger, Romo) or tainted (Brady). There are other QB's that are maybe on Cam's level or close to it, but Rodgers, Luck, and Wilson are the only 3 I can see having a better 5 year period than Cam.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Same but no Russell. The Panthers have done what they have with Cam at the helm and no spending money whereas the Seahawks have been getting a ton of production from players on rookie contracts. Just wait until the Panthers can afford a top flight left tackle (which is almost a foregone conclusion by now).

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Gronk posted:

“My drink is usually vodka with water because it gets you hydrated and drunk at the same time,” he explains after the sommelier has departed. “I never drink wine. There’s only one wine I like, but I forget what it’s called. It tastes like Sprite.”

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014

zimbomonkey posted:

Same but no Russell. The Panthers have done what they have with Cam at the helm and no spending money whereas the Seahawks have been getting a ton of production from players on rookie contracts. Just wait until the Panthers can afford a top flight left tackle (which is almost a foregone conclusion by now).

I put Russel in there because he's got a ring, and he got it done with a bunch of lovely receivers. Unlike some QB's, who have great receivers, a hall of fame tight end, and still can't get it done.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

He's right about Vodka and water. The real protip is vodka + Gatorade + Redbull in a Camelbak

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FINGERBLASTER69 posted:

I put Russel in there because he's got a ring, and he got it done with a bunch of lovely receivers. Unlike some QB's, who have great receivers, a hall of fame tight end, and still can't get it done.

I can't figure out if this is about Romo or Ryan.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh sure thing, that makes total sense.

quote:

[Louis] Murphy played with Tebow at the University of Florida and when asked on a recent Sirius XM appearance if he was worried about Winston's off-the-field life at Florida State, he pulled out the old Tebow card.

"No, not really," Murphy said. "I just saw how much of a competitor he is. He competes. He doesn't like losing. He wants to win and that's a guy I want to play with. He's young, kind of similar to Tim Tebow in a way, he just wants to win. He'll do anything it takes to win. But he's young, everyone makes mistakes ... I'm just really excited to be with a guy who is really passionate about playing this game."

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
Ryan, because ROmo is too old/injury concerns to be considered anyways imo.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I thought he was talking about Rivers lol

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
This is new. I forgot Murphy played in Tampa bay.

And Carolina absolutely caters to Cam, as they should. He needs big receivers so you get him big receivers

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

FizFashizzle posted:

Last year cam had torn ankle ligaments, broken ribs, and was tboned and had his back broken and very nearly killed.

I'm pretty confident he'll be better this year.

How much better can he realistically get while playing under the same hyper conservative HC and OC? Not to mention that o-line.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Wow you guys are usually screaming for a new thread at the turn of midnight on a new month. What's happened?

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

we're grieving over the loss of the andy dalton thread

rip

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Chilichimp posted:

Tim Tebow is better than Alex Smith.

The difference in their two careers is that Smith's wasn't smothered in its infancy, he instead got to fail for a while and then improve under a good coach only to be traded to an even better QB's coach.

Tebow took an underestimated franchise to the play-offs and beat the Steelers there, then got traded to the Jets. The Jets. On a team with a decent supporting cast and a decent QB-minded coach/OC his ceiling is much higher than Alex Smith.

Of course he's an up-beat/positive douche-bag so gently caress him. Who wants that kind of locker room cancer?

mhm

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Relentlessboredomm posted:

How much better can he realistically get while playing under the same hyper conservative HC and OC? Not to mention that o-line.
They'll start off 0 fer with a loss to the Seahawks, then panic and air it out on the way to an entertaining 9-7, NFC south championship, first round win, and loss to Seattle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

FizFashizzle posted:

They'll start off 0 fer with a loss to the Seahawks, then panic and air it out on the way to an entertaining 9-7, NFC south championship, first round win, and loss to Seattle.

I think this is the year Ron stops pulling late season wins out of his rear end. 7-9 and they still make the playoffs :v:

• Locked thread