Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Seeing it tucked away deep in the underground carpark is still an exciting experience. The aero pieces add to the car's silhouette and it gives me goosebumps every time I look at it. Kimbo is right in that the car is physically small, but so too are most other supercars, and the presence it has places it firmly in the company of the greats.

Speaking of torque, rather than straining to redline like small displacement engines, it just rips right to the fuel cut like there's nothing holding the engine back. Going from a fuel cut of 8750 to 6400 was a weird experience, despite the tall gearing I bounced off the limiter frequently in the black car and had to recalibrate my shift timing. You could put that engine in a large motorhome and drive it around with ease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
http://youtu.be/2ZiCcwMNZZs

You can hear me tag the rev limiter in this.

The videos don't do justice to what being in the cabin is like, the only thing louder than the exhaust is the intake and the exhaust is tuned to be pop as much possible. It's amazing. If you nail a high rpm first to second it sounds like a gunshot and even fuel cut just dumps the spark resulting in a deafening PHWOOMF.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I built up a Viper TA 2.0 in Forza 6 with slicks and twin turbo chargers.

To say it wants to kill you even in third gear is an understatement.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Today's Blipshift shirt seems like a good match for you, DV.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
*Googles to see if the ACR is in fact classed as A Street Prepared for autocross*

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Ether Frenzy posted:

Today's Blipshift shirt seems like a good match for you, DV.

Awesome, bought 2. I always forget to check Blipshift...

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
How are you liking the Charger so far? More specifically the engine/drive etc. My wife and I are done with my Speed3. She can't drive a stick and I've had issues with the car since I bought it.

I never really considered a Dodge initially but I gave it a look when we started defining what we want in a new car. Auto, 4 Door, Fizzys in the penis area and the Charger seems like it might fit that criteria. The SRT in particular as she can get all the niceties and I can get a very quick large car. I just then think about spending $50k on a Charger and wonder if the 6.4L is worth it with so many other options in the price range.

TheFonz fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jan 17, 2016

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

TheFonz posted:

How are you liking the Charger so far? More specifically the engine/drive etc. My wife and I are done with my Speed3. She can't drive a stick and I've had issues with the car since I bought it.

I never really considered a Dodge initially but I gave it a look when we started defining what we want in a new car. Auto, 4 Door, Fizzys in the penis area and the Charger seems like it might fit that criteria. The SRT in particular as she can get all the niceties and I can get a very quick large car. I just then think about spending $50k on a Charger and wonder if the 6.4L is worth it with so many other options in the price range.

I love it so far, and you don't have to drop $50K on the SRT to get a whole lot of awesome. Keep in mind that I was a huge BMW guy for a long time too, my opinion was not easily swayed. The 6.4L is the 392 Hemi motor, same as the one in the SRT, only the MSRP of the Scat Pack is $11K less. They nailed everything in the car - the electric power steering is adjustable and feels excellent. The transmission can be lazy and docile or aggressive as hell, it will do engine braking and avoids automatic creep. The paddle shifting is awesome too, and it's fairly clear it was designed to please people who generally hate automatics.

The suspension and brakes are excellent as well, the shocks are Bilstein units so the ride is good but still sporty, and the brakes are 4-pot Brembos that have plenty of stopping power. For a car this big, it performs exceptionally well. Then there's the engine, which has cylinder deactivation and gets 27MPG on the highway. I'm saving the best for last here though, it makes the most satisfying sounds and a shitton of power - it gets you moving right now. The exhaust system is a dual mode, and stays quiet most of the time in the Normal setting but in Sport, the valves are open all the time. Beautiful mandrel bends feed an X-pipe and you end up with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_PCaKvmgzM

Back to the price - this car cost $42.5K optioned with the stuff in the sticker below. That's invoice pricing because I'm friends with the guy who owns the dealership, but that isn't terribly hard to get if you work at it. It can be optioned all the way up to having lane departure assist, radar cruise, for 45K you're basically getting a half priced M5 / E63 AMG. You don't need to buy the SRT model to get all the toys, I think that car is best suited for the person who really wants an all-in-one, and they're liable to be slightly dissatisfied because, like all super sedans, the car is heavy and there's no getting around it. However you might find one or two out there with big discounts (because the Scat Pack is so good) but I wouldn't turn down either one of them.

The Viper club got Ralph Gilles to come talk to a handful of us over drinks in San Francisco a month ago, and at the time I was asking him why there wasn't a Dart SRT. He said that he'd love to have the resources to build that car, but there just wasn't a market for it. After I bought this though, I shot him an email raving about it and this was his response:

quote:

Yeah we have been doing really well with the ScatPack Chargers. Selling all we can make!

Once it is broken in the highway Fuel economy will shock you! (25-27mpg at 75mph!) Glad you discovered it...I think it is the best performance value if not overall car guys sedan out there! I love my hellcat... But as a daily driver the 392 ScatPack is the winner!

Das Volk fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jan 17, 2016

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Were you able to get the same forever warranty with the Charger that you got on the Viper?

I've always discounted the Charger, but after seeing Kimbo's cop car and this one, I can see having one somewhere down the depreciation road.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Das Volk posted:

Good Stuff

Thanks for the response DV. I've done a bit of reading on this and I guess I didn't realize all the options you could get with the Scat Pack. I knew the wife would want heated seats and all the drive assist gadgets so that is why I was looking at the SRTs, but I'm glad you said that since now I've looked at some inventory and there are some well optioned Scat Packs at lower prices than SRTs start at.

It helps too living in the snowy north that prices seem marked down:
http://www.coonrapidschrysler.net/new/Dodge/2016-Dodge-Charger-Minneapolis-017f518b0a0e0adf42d49e9b4935b24b.htm

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

meatpimp posted:

Were you able to get the same forever warranty with the Charger that you got on the Viper?

I've always discounted the Charger, but after seeing Kimbo's cop car and this one, I can see having one somewhere down the depreciation road.

I can, but I haven't decided yet. There is quite a bit of tech in this car, and I have no idea how reliable these are. I have to think that the drivetrain is well established, and the uconnect module as well. I'll probably do some reading on them before I make up my mind.

TheFonz posted:

Thanks for the response DV. I've done a bit of reading on this and I guess I didn't realize all the options you could get with the Scat Pack. I knew the wife would want heated seats and all the drive assist gadgets so that is why I was looking at the SRTs, but I'm glad you said that since now I've looked at some inventory and there are some well optioned Scat Packs at lower prices than SRTs start at.

It helps too living in the snowy north that prices seem marked down:
http://www.coonrapidschrysler.net/new/Dodge/2016-Dodge-Charger-Minneapolis-017f518b0a0e0adf42d49e9b4935b24b.htm

That's a great deal! The LSD works great in the snow too.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
From the why-the-hell-not deparment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kz27fQ05eA

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
That s quite a quick hop from uhhhh 5mph to 11mph. Looking forward to seeing what the scat pack does at Laguna

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

Das Volk posted:

I'm saving the best for last here though, it makes the most satisfying sounds and a shitton of power - it gets you moving right now.

I haven't really even driven it in Sport mode for real yet. The above is still true.

Awful photo of a pretty car.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Das Volk, you didn't happen to drive through the Palm Springs area today, did you? I thought I saw your Viper but it was dark and you were heading the other way. There can't be many in that shade of blue...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I still giggle at the term "scat pack"

Probably have to rename that for the Aus market if it ever comes here, scat means something very different down under

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ferremit posted:

Probably have to rename that for the Aus market if it ever comes here, scat means something very different down under

Yes, it means feces here too. It's Greek, actually.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

It's used a bit more here too- I'm not sure how well a dodge poo poo pack would sell to be honest

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

El Jebus posted:

Das Volk, you didn't happen to drive through the Palm Springs area today, did you? I thought I saw your Viper but it was dark and you were heading the other way. There can't be many in that shade of blue...

Sadly I haven't been in LA in my own car for 4 or 5 years now.

Ferremit posted:

I guarantee no one under the age of 40 thinks it refers to a musical style. The Germans could always have ScheißPack.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Poop Group. Thanks, whoever coined that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Apparently they issued a recall for oil contamination that could have caused engine failure?:
http://driveviper.com/forums/threads/12394-Gen-V-2013-2015-oil-consumption-RECALLS-R28-amp-R29/

If I'd known this was coming, I'd have been very tempted to keep the Viper and throw in Viper Exchange's electronic suspension package.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, I got it in the mail recently. I didn't realize that oil contamination was new longblock time. It seems OK but I hope to christ it doesn't mean another motor. I'll get this done before I track it again.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Is this a different thing to the bad #8 cylinder? Like they revised the build process or parts but ended up with another bad problem?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

kimbo305 posted:

Is this a different thing to the bad #8 cylinder? Like they revised the build process or parts but ended up with another bad problem?

I don't know - it happened 3 times including mine, at the local shop. That may simply be where the weak spot is on that engine. It's not too late! :)

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Keeping this out of the archives. Not much has changed, getting way more traffic for the hillclimb this year. We're almost full now, which hasn't happened since the 90s.

I got the recall work done to replace the valve cover and change the crankcase vent, which is the source of sudden oil loss on the motors. Kind of amazing such a simple thing could cause so many issues, but then a problem description of "part throttle high-G right hand turn" isn't exactly easy to chase down when you sell a car that runs a higher than average risk of abuse by its owners.

That opening pointing down and the windage tray were apparently the design flaw.

I got that done so I could do this, which is all the reason anyone ever needs to own this car:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Compelling reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
That color is officially called "Boner Blue" in the updated spec sheets.

• Locked thread