Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
It's that time again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YdeSNcAWos

The time to cross into a new Demimonde

Eva Green as the Devil's Onetime Consort Vanessa Ives

Timothy Dalton as adventurer Sir Malcolm Murray

Reeve Carney as the one who will gently caress anything that moves

Billie Piper as Dead Irish Prostitute Brona Croft

and featuring Josh Hartnett as Normal American Man Ethan Chandler

Plus Many More (that I can't find pictures of on imgur right now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Who will the devil have this year!?!? Maybe Josh Hartnett will drop that bussy for our dark lord?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I believe in you new thread! I truly do! Wait until Sunday, then you will be filled with rants on Emo-Stein and Green and Dalton chewing every scrap of scenery within reach...

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn
people need to watch this show, that last scene in Episode 2 was creepy as all gently caress.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
The dialogue in this show is way too heavy-handed. Some of it would actually be good, but then they go and immediately re-explain it to the audience just in case it was too subtle. Guy blurts out that Josh Hartnet's character is his brother? Haha, he's a bad liar, isn't he! The witch has photos of the same flamboyant guy that would ruin his life? If she reveals them, everyone will know he's a sodomite! Come on, give the audience a little more credit here.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 11, 2015

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
first off i think helen mccrory might be a little typecast and second dang she just graphically disemboweled a baby on tv

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I'm pleased that Penny Dreadful has taken a page out of the Hemlock Grove playbook with the "major trauma causes problematic accent to conveniently disappear" move. Even better that there were multiple lines of dialogue explaining how it made sense.

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

Suxpool posted:

dang she just graphically disemboweled a baby on tv

Cross that off the list of things you never expected to see on a television program

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Sucrose posted:

The dialogue in this show is way too heavy-handed. Some of it would actually be good, but then they go and immediately re-explain it to the audience just in case it was too subtle. Guy blurts out that Josh Hartnet's character is his brother? Haha, he's a bad liar, isn't he! The witch has photos of the same flamboyant guy that would ruin his life? If she reveals them, everyone will know he's a sodomite! Come on, give the audience a little more credit here.

Perhaps they're just invoking the style of their namesake. Although I'm not sure if actual penny dreadfuls are that bad, and it'd be a stupid crutch to lean on anyway.

Darth Ballz posted:

Cross that off the list of things you never expected to see on a television program

Seriously, sort of figured that'd be the kind of thing that was only ever implied. Reminded me of that episode of the Venture Bros. where he made the joy can using part of an orphan.

"What is this creepy doll made of?"

"Oh you know, wood, some cloth, paint, *cough*an orphan*cough*"

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Brightman posted:

Perhaps they're just invoking the style of their namesake. Although I'm not sure if actual penny dreadfuls are that bad, and it'd be a stupid crutch to lean on anyway.

Oh absolutely they were that bad. They used the same 'morality' trick that was used later to get exploitational stuff past movie censorship..."It's for the education of the masses!" ploy. The layers of bombastic dialogue were one of their trademarks.

Here's an excellent example Varney the Vampire of one of the ones that inspired the show. Links to the etext and a lot of the illustrations are at the bottom of the article.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I really love this show. Tim Dalton kills it, and I kind of love Werewolf Cowboy in London. The sets and costumes are also fantastic. This show could just go completely bonkers and go Supernatural and have all these beasties from fiction from pouring out, but instead it reins it in a little and makes for some truly creepy horror television instead of just out-and-out action.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I did not know what Grey bought.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Honest Thief posted:

I did not know what Grey bought.

Grey knows all. He has dick-dar or something.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Wait, you guys seriously couldn't tell that was a man in the first scene? The voice was way too low for a woman.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Also, you know, the face.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Ferdinand Lyle :allears:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I hope we see the painting this season.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

cheerfullydrab posted:

I hope we see the painting this season.

Dorian Gray's portrait? I hope exactly the opposite. If we see it, there's no way it won't be a let-down.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I love how Dorian Grey is completely unconnected to anything or any one in the show, and is just off on his own quest to gently caress all of Victorian London.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Well the second episode reminded me of something I should have remembered from season one - if Ferdinand Lyle is in an episode, it's a good episode. :allears:

Overall the episode was a big improvement over the first, though that final shot of the doll was laughably bad and kinda wrecked the good work they'd done to that point. If they keep things more in this direction, I'd be pretty pleased.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Every moment Ferdinand Lyle was interacting with Ethan was solid gold. He also seemed to underplay their progress and competence in the end, so hopefully he tries not to gently caress them over while also avoiding being gutted.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I love this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Emy posted:

Dorian Gray's portrait? I hope exactly the opposite. If we see it, there's no way it won't be a let-down.

That's why I'd rather see it sooner than later. Also it's Penny Dreadful, the show that's good at visual stuff. The painting could look rather cool, you never know.

• Locked thread