Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Real hurthling! posted:

both of them are made in the same distillery and are practically just buffalo trace with a different label

Almost all the good bourbons are owned by Bufflo Trace, including those 2, eagle rare, blantons, George T Stagg, and WL Weller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Just got a job so the combo of more money and less time to drink means I can step up from Evan Williams to Maker's Mark

I made some sick mint juleps this weekend and I'll probably have one tonight

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Bulleit makes a pretty drat good bourbon. It's barely a bourbon, though, they use the bare minimum percentage of corn in the mash and put in a fuckload of rye instead so it's like some sort of weird hybrid whiskey. poo poo's tasty, though. I miss when I could drop 30 bucks on a bottle.

FYI bulliet 10 yr isn't as good as the regular stuff and its like $50. Save your money.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Real hurthling! posted:

both of them are made in the same distillery and are practically just buffalo trace with a different label

Buffalo Trace only uses three-ish mash bills for all their bourbons. All the magic that distinguishes the good stuff from the cheapo happens in the rickhouse.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Speleothing posted:

Buffalo Trace only uses three-ish mash bills for all their bourbons. All the magic that distinguishes the good stuff from the cheapo happens in the rickhouse.

I'm sorry, what does this mean?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BigBoss posted:

FYI bulliet 10 yr isn't as good as the regular stuff and its like $50. Save your money.

For bourbon I usually stick to the midrange stuff. I haven't really found a 10 year fancy version that was worth the extra money.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Charles Bukowski posted:

Barreling and aging are what count son.

Buffalo Trace is garbage for the price. Tastes like pennies and pit sweat.

Drink fuckin Booker's if you're gonna go for a beam/suntory brand. 120 proof or bust

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

whitey delenda est posted:

Drink fuckin Booker's if you're gonna go for a beam/suntory brand. 120 proof or bust

You poor, poor bastard and your broken tastebuds

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

whitey delenda est posted:

Buffalo tastes a lot better than the cheap/affordable brands that come to Canadaland (JB, 4 roses, wild turkey). What is a better bourbon for $25-$30 a bottle that I can pick up when I visit your fine country?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Charles Bukowski posted:

Buffalo tastes a lot better than the cheap/affordable brands that come to Canadaland (JB, 4 roses, wild turkey). What is a better bourbon for $25-$30 a bottle that I can pick up when I visit your fine country?

Rittenhouse Rye

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

lol 120 proof might as well drink thunderbird

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Charles Bukowski posted:

A mash bill is the ingredients that go into the sour mash for cooking & fermentation. Bourbon is 51%+ corn, and the remainder either rye or wheat, with at a small amount of barley. Once it has fermented for a few days, this 'distiller's beer' is sent to the stills. The white dog that comes out of the still is put into new charred oak barrels. It's a thing nowadays to sell white dog, which is nasty nasty stuff, but some people drink it. That's basic whiskeymaking.

In the rickhouse, filled with thousands of 50 gallon barrels, variations in temperature age the drink as it is soaked into and expelled from the wood's pores. Location of the individual barrel is extremely important in how much variation and how rapidly. The top floor ages whiskey quickly and produces cheap, spicy whiskey after about 4-6 years. The bottoms age very slowly and produce very expensive, mellowed whiskey over 15 to 25 years. Different rickhouses give different character to their barrels as well. By regular tasting, decades of experience, and blending dozens or hundreds of barrels together, the bottled product maintains consistency despite this.

This is also the reason why actual real small-batch distillers* can't produce products as good as the big guys, they don't have the warehouse space to do it properly or they try to speed up the process by using smaller barrels. *A lot of small batch guys are really just bottlers who buy barrels from the big guys, or have the big guys produce a special batch according to their mash bill.

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

You have quite a treasure there...
wild turkey where it's at :cheers:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Darf posted:

wild turkey where it's at :cheers:

I had the worst hangover of my entire life after a night with Wild Turkey. Still can't even look at the stuff.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
rum is better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

You have quite a treasure there...

Zeroisanumber posted:

I had the worst hangover of my entire life after a night with Wild Turkey. Still can't even look at the stuff.

My 21st was celebrated with multiple bottles of WT being passed around. Night I'll never remember/never forget

• Locked thread