Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

tactlessbastard posted:

I feel you man. I'm the world's champion at going to the hardware store three times every time I work on the house.

So, is there any way to test the seal on the water pump before I put everything back together? Doesn't seem like it.

Just for the record, yes, there is but it might not be worth it unless you plan on doing a lot of these. Probably wouldn't be too hard to rig up an air fitting in a spare radiator cap with a cheap hand pump though, if you didn't want to shell out for the fancy kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Raluek posted:

If you want to be able to get it off again, white lithium works too.

That's why you put it on the replacement part. IE Only reason to remove the water pump is to replace it!

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

tactlessbastard posted:

Well, you can't really tell from this picture, but that is a in time, leak free, taut quiet belt running engine.

Thanks for all of the advice and support!

Not Pictured: Knowledge, Sense of Accomplishment.

Good work man.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Not Pictured: Knowledge, Sense of Accomplishment.

Good work man.

Thanks!

So, the alternator/AC belt started occasionally squealing. Are there any tips to making it easier to adjusting the tension on that belt via the alternator beyond pulling the bastard back out and lubricating that set screw/bolt set? I had a a devil of a time applying a quarter turn at a time to that thing in situ.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

More straight/wobble extensions and a longer ratchet for more leverage/room to swing it?

Also, are you loosening the bolt that the alternator pivots on? That can make it a lot harder to tension if you don't.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Enourmo posted:

More straight/wobble extensions and a longer ratchet for more leverage/room to swing it?

Also, are you loosening the bolt that the alternator pivots on? That can make it a lot harder to tension if you don't.

Yes, I had the pivot bolt loose. The problem with more ratchet, extensions, etcetera, is that the drat thing is topped off by a wing nut, so there's nothing but hand power down there.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

As you get more experience and tools you'll learn things like how to use your dremel to grind a couple notches in a regular socket that you seldom use due to its oddball size, so that it works on a wingnut.

Everyone needs a dremel.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

:wtc: Why the gently caress would that not just be a hex bolt? I'm calling PO shenanigans (unless you're the first owner in which case disregard).

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Enourmo posted:

:wtc: Why the gently caress would that not just be a hex bolt? I'm calling PO shenanigans (unless you're the first owner in which case disregard).

Straight from the factory. My occasionally squealing belt became a major issue last night when I was downtown and suddenly there was a slapping sound, the power steering quit and the battery light came on.

The belt came off and it took the power steering belt with it, heh.

So, here we are again. There that wing nut is, in situ, and I've thoroughly lubricated the threads so it turns much easier, but the problem still is, once you get it down to almost tight enough, it gets extremely difficult to turn, and you just can't get any leverage on it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tactlessbastard fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 16, 2015

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

going by the munted corners on the hex nut behind it, im going to call "PO stripped the poo poo out of the nut and put a wing nut on it instead"

If you can get the wingnut off, a cheap 6 sided socket will still grip that hex nut nicely. as for easier, i use an air wrench to do my alternator belts because of access woes, makes life SO MUCH EASIER!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Ferremit posted:

going by the munted corners on the hex nut behind it, im going to call "PO stripped the poo poo out of the nut and put a wing nut on it instead"

If you can get the wingnut off, a cheap 6 sided socket will still grip that hex nut nicely. as for easier, i use an air wrench to do my alternator belts because of access woes, makes life SO MUCH EASIER!

Honda was the PO.

Anyway, it appears that "As tight as you can get it" after a thorough cleaning and lubing of the tensioning screw is good enough, according to the youtubes, so I'm going to put it back together. It didn't squeal when I fired it back up just now.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Well, everything seems to have gone back together and is running quietly. Only downside now is that I knocked my socket set over and recovered everything except a single 5/8 socket, which bounced down through the hood latch area and through a wormhole. I'm just relieved it wasn't one if my metric sockets.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

tactlessbastard posted:

Well, everything seems to have gone back together and is running quietly. Only downside now is that I knocked my socket set over and recovered everything except a single 5/8 socket, which bounced down through the hood latch area and through a wormhole. I'm just relieved it wasn't one if my metric sockets.

Haha, running. Lately I've been having a bit of difficulty getting the ignition to turn. Nothing but taking the key out and putting it back in and trying to turn it again a few times will get it to rotate.

This morning I had to get my wife to take me to work because it flat won't turn at all anymore. There's no tension on the steering wheel or wheel lock.

I see a whole new ignition cylinder is a $450 part and that's not exactly in the budget for today.

Do you all have any suggestions? I'd like to cure this problem or at least bypass it until I can get a new cylinder bought and installed this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxJE9rDZW80

Surprisingly, this worked like a charm.

• Locked thread