Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

And, hell, once Shadow of Revan begins, it'll be further reduced to one character, unless you guys do some edit mucking so it looks like two of your guys are teaming up.

And kotfe couldn't even do that, it'd be strictly one dood. until chapter IX, I guess you could have a different fella recruiting the alliance companions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

##Begin Log##

Captain’s Log, entry #008
Stardate: Ending back where it began

I'm writing this from the comfort of Keylander station – so, spoiler alert, I survived Makeb. Everything happened so fast at the end there I didn't have a minute to spare, so get comfortable because there's a lot worth getting caught up on.

So when I left off, I'd just heard the news that the Cartel had cracked. Let's start with that feel-good story.

Recommended for hard bargaining
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8LGQp3dtyI

quote:

D-LZ8: Had we known Toborro was insane, we never would have supported him. He is no longer Hutt Cartel. We formally shun him.

D-LZ8: However, in breaking ties with Toborro, we find ourselves stranded on Makeb with you. We are prepared to offer generous compensation for seating and cargo space aboard the ark.

Shalim Avesta: Cargo? Are you delusional? Your bodies take up more room than a dozen good people!

Gez Addar: Ah! One of the Republic's greatest heroes. Just the person we could use to bring some wisdom and perspective to the discussion.

Quentine: Let me see if I understand: Toborro's former friends got on his bad side. Now they need to get off Makeb, so they've come to us?

I'm only surprised they didn't fold earlier. Hutts aren't known for their backbone, and Makeb looked like a losing proposition for them for a while. It really came down to how long Toborro could keep them in line.

quote:

D-LZ8: Most revered Republic champions, my masters apologize for this unfortunate situation. Surely we can reach a state of mutually beneficial recompense and earn passage aboard the ark?

Shalim Avesta: My people deserve rescue. The Hutt Cartel leaders can't just beg their way out.

Shalim stormed out at that point, leaving me and Gez alone with the Hutt negotiator. When the Hutt didn't tune out, I realized at that point I was the senior Republic agent on the planet – meaning it was my turn to strike a deal.

quote:

Gez Addar: Shalim's right, but these are the most powerful Hutts in the galaxy. We can name our price to save their lives – and think what that means for defeating the Empire.

Quentine: Are you planning on running for Senate as soon as we leave the planet?

Gez wasn't wrong. Shalim might be mad about sharing space with the Hutts who destroyed his homeworld, but I'd seen the ark's schematics, there was more than enough room to fit the people of Makeb and the Cartel leaders.

quote:

Gez Addar: Toborro has lost his mind, and these Cartel leaders know it. They can't go back to him – they need us.

D-LZ8: Honored Republic heroes, you are known for mercy and greatness. Can you find it within yourselves to forgive our profound error in judgment?

Quentine: Stop appealing to our sentimentality. Forgiveness isn't the issue here. Your masters want a ticket off Makeb, and we'll consider providing it – for the right price.

D-LZ8: Honored Republic negotiators, my masters will happily continue debasing themselves, but Makeb's time grows short.

[:siren:Voting:siren: time! Will Quentine accept the Hutts' apology and take their offer of partnership, or use this opportunity to force the Cartel's leadership into shameful subservience? After all, this whole crisis might be their doing and Quentine's hated Hutts with a passion his entire career for their shameless greed and cruelty, but they feel totally bad about all of thahahaha!

Sorry, I can't even finish that sentence.]

quote:

Quentine: We'll need your technology, your mercenaries, your warships and your money. Keep giving them until we tell you to stop.

Quentine: That's our offer – take it or leave it. Your masters can enjoy Makeb's destruction from front-row seats for all we care.

D-LZ8: My masters wish no further hostilities with you. The offer is accepted without condition.

Gez Addar: I think you're the first in galactic history to force the Hutts into a deal they can't afford.

Legend has it, Nok Drayen once killed half the leaders of the Cartel in a single night. I remember laughing about it at the time, like anybody could corner that many Hutts at once. Now I've got the whole Cartel wrapped around my – well, the Republic's finger. How times change, huh?

So we had the Cartel leaders gift-wrapped for the Republic, but we still had the problem that none of them had any isotope-5 for the ark. Toborro kept the good stuff for himself, so that meant we still needed to deal with him.

Recommended for more smooth talking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aDOdWgp824

quote:

Toborro the Hutt: Never! The entire galaxy plots against me, but I still hold the ultimate power!

Toborro the Hutt: Let this planet tear itself apart! My fortress can withstand anything. When you are all dead, Toborro will still remain! This galaxy is mine!

Quentine: Toborro, there's something really wrong with you. Listen to what you're saying – it doesn't make sense.

Toborro the Hutt: No more words! Now, only death!

quote:

Doctor Oggurob. His palace is a testament to my artistry. I poured my spirit into designing lethal defenses. I also left myself a private entrance inside.

Quentine: A secret back door? I'm starting to like you, Oggurob.

Doctor Oggurob: My charms are legion.

Doctor Oggurob: Toborro will have far more than my inspired designs guarding him. His most lethal soldiers and isotope-5 droids patrol every corrridor.

Shalim Avesta: We'll hold this position until you get back.

Lemda was getting pretty worked up. I guess knowing exactly what's happening when the planet beneath your feet starts falling apart can do that to someone. Like always, I played it cool.

I've got to work on my material.

Good instructions to live by.

To be honest, we didn't have that much of a plan – grab a shuttle to Toborro's palace, take the secret entrance, blast everything between us and the fuel rods.

The Avestas' milita secured a landing zone and extraction point for me, but there weren't nearly enough of them to attack Toborro's palace directly.

That's what I brought Bowdaar for.

Despite Toborro's rant, the groundquakes were clearly doing a number on his palace. It made our job a little easier, since a lot of the outer security grid was broken up.

We took a peek at the main entrance, and yeah, no chance we'd want to get in that way. You can't see it so clearly in this shot but the main gate had isotope-5 droids and heavy turrets waiting just inside. Even Wookies have limits.

Oggurob's secret entrance was down in the maintenance levels. You can believe the Regulators ordered to guard the sewers were surprised to see us.

Like any good Hutt basement, the place was dank and full of monsters. Naturally, we tried to sneak past.

That... didn't go so well. Plan B worked fine.

The security console Oggurob'd singled out for us was just past some Ginx. What Toborro had Ginx for, I have no idea.

quote:

Doctor Oggurob: Of course. Toborro doesn't even know it exists. He has no eye for such exquisite detail.

Doctor Oggurob: He is also despairingly predictable, and almost certainly ranting away in his throne room while cluthing the fuel rods to his bosom.

Doctor Oggurob: I am transmitting procedures to defeat the security protocols separating you from Toborro. Follow them precisely. I'll be unable to reach you via holo after this.

Quentine: We can take things from here. You've been most helpful. The Republic will remember your cooperation.

Doctor Oggurob: Perhaps your Supreme Chancellor will reward me with my own private laboratory. The planet Tisheraan would be perfect.

Credit where it's due, I don't think I'd have found the secret entrance without the doctor's help. So I guess rescuing him from Sanctuary was worth the effort after all. Oggurob, you're back on the “okay Hutts” list.

There was still security inside the palace to deal with, but less than the front door. Not to mention anyone dumb enough to still be working for Toborro wasn't the brightest star in the galaxy.

Toborro's throne room was locked down, but a bit of snooping turned up a frozen former security chief for the palace – a security chief whose credentials also got a carbonite coating.

You'd think the guy would've been more grateful, considering Toborro'd put him on ice, but we ended up having to fight him to get his security pass anyway. Like I said, not so bright.

Then we had a clear shot at the Hutt himself, and whatever last tricks he had waiting for us.

quote:

Toborro the Hutt: What fools you are, fighting for a planet that isn't even a part of your pitiful Republic. For all your struggles, you will gain nothing!

Quentine: The planet may not be around much longer, but its people will always be a part of the Republic.

Toborro the Hutt: You mean those people who are all going to die? I hope you enjoy digging graves!

Toborro the Hutt: You are nothing but dirty little thieves, come to steal what is rightfully mine! But you will never have it!

quote:

Toborro the Hutt: I would never touch scum like you!

Now that was one hell of a droid. And, of course, gold-plated.

Me and Bowdaar didn't have much choice but to tackle the thing head on. The thing had more weapon systems than I could count and it gave each of them a try.

Probably the worst were these crazy... I don't know, super-lasers? Eradication beams? Basically two capital-class cannons squeezed onto a droid's shoulders.

It only took a couple seconds to charge up, but believe me you didn't want to be anywhere near those things when they went off. Scorched the whole wall.

Even when we got behind the thing, it'd just start raining missiles down on our heads. I burned out my defense screens from the shrapnel, I think Bowdaar's still combing it out of his fur.

Despite all the trouble, though, we got the thing in the end. It was pretty, over-gunned and ray-shielded, but there were enough exposed joints for us to pick at that the thing came apart eventually. When Bowdaar cracked the ammunition compartment it was all over, for the droid and Toborro.

quote:

Toborro the Hutt: If I can't have my isotope-5, no one can! Prepare to face the Void with me, you thieving filth!

Toborro the Hutt: A single drop of isotope-5 could level this palace! I just set fire to a whole lake of it! Prepare for flaming death!

Quentine: Oh no, you don't. Nobody kills you but me!

I figured at that point I'd earned it, after all the trouble the Hutt put me through, but I was up for splitting the credit.

I blasted the supports holding up the palace ceiling, built into the mesa. Big, rocky chunks of the planet he'd killed squashed the Hutt to paste. Maybe not the most satisfying way I'd taken out a Hutt, but I like a bit of poetic justic.

After that, it was time to split with the fuel rods. I'd sent Bowdaar on with one and grabbed the other from the remains of Toborro's last toy.

The palace was falling apart so fast that by the time we reached the front gate the security from before was in a panic. We had a clear run all the way back to the extraction point, and from there the Giant's Spear.

quote:

Shalim Avesta: The whole planet felt it. Lemda says the explosion triggered a chain reaction in the planet's core.

Shalim Avesta: If you have unfinished business, better make it quick. I'll take the fuel rods and get our people to work installing them.

Shalim Avesta: I left a shielded shuttle here at the camp. It's your ticket off Makeb. The rest of us are taking the ark.

Quentine: You're sure there's nothing else that needs to be done? Have all the planets' refugees made it aboard the ark?

Shalim Avesta: The ship is full and ready to fly. Thank to you, we're about to achieve the fastest planetary evacuation in galactic history.

We didn't waste time. My crew was already aboard the ark, so Bowdaar and I just needed to grab Navigator Uptin's shuttle before the ground collapsed under our feet.

quote:

Shalim Avesta: It'll have to be. Lemda says there's a fissure opening directly beneath us. We're launching before the mesa collapses!

Maybe not the closest takeoff I've ever had, but in the top five. And that was the end for Makeb.

quote:

Supreme Chancellor Saresh: Please meet me in Keylander station's conference chamber. We have much to discuss.

Yeah, I could already tell the Chancellor wasn't pleased. It used to be I'd just get paid for jobs and fly on to the next while the important people sorted out the details. I guess serving up the Hutt Cartel on a platter's a bit of a step up.

Recommended for dramatic conclusion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcJ6X9mqMBQ

quote:

ZAN-3L0: Welcome back! I was informed that you survived a terrifying ordeal. You have my deepest admiration. Ah, here they are...

quote:

Shalim Avesta: We had no idea the planet was that unstable. Our offer was made in good faith.

Doctor Lemda Avesta: My uncle is a businessman, Chancellor – but in this case he's telling the truth.

Supreme Chancellor Saresh: You knew the groundquakes were getting worse. You used the Republic, knowing we'd be obligated to help your people even if you had nothing to offer in return.

Quentine: What's done is done. We have a vessel filled with millions of refugees who need food, water and medical treatment.

Shalim Avesta: And a home. My people can't live on that ark forever. They're packed in like cargo.

Yeah, turns out the aftermath of a planet blowing up wasn't as clear-cut as I was hoping. At first I was confused what the Chancellor's problem was, crushing Toborro sure felt like a win, but thinking about how this fight plays into the rest of the galaxy...

quote:

Shalim Avesta: What about the Hutt leaders? You negotiated a peace agreement with them, didn't you?

Quentine: He's right. The Cartel leaders have promised to support the Republic wholeheartedly.

Supreme Chancellor Saresh: So we have a worthless ally and a broken one. Still... the Hutts possess considerable wealth.

Supreme Chancellor Saresh: Only the Cartel leaders who needed rescuing agreed to this alliance. Fortunately, they possess most of the wealth and power. They'll neutralize any holdouts.

Supreme Chancellor Saresh: With our new friends' wealth and warships, we've gained a substantial advantage over the Empire. That doesn't address the problem of Makeb's people, however. I need a solution.

When the Supreme Chancellor asks you to solve a galactic-level problem, that takes some getting used to. It's been happening more often lately, though, so I gave it my best shot.

quote:

Quentine: We can hold their warships in reserve and use them to protect vulnerable systems. Meanwhile, the Hutts will build a colony for Makeb's people.

As for which Hutt we can trust to manage all this, well, something tells me Bareesh's ship is about to come in. Looks like he was right about the profits of legal enterprise after all.

quote:

Doctor Lemda Avesta: I had to twist your arm to call the Republic. Glad you finally swallowed that “spirit of independence”?

Shalim Avesta: After everything we've been through, to receive such generosity... thank you all.

Quentine: Make sure the Hutts build you a nice place, Lemda. You deserve the best.

Yeesh, awkward. I didn't want to spoil the mood, but I don't really do the long-distance thing. I'll hold onto that number in case I'm ever in... well, whatever system the Hutts cough up for them.

quote:

Supreme Chancellor Saresh: I want to speak with my operative in private. Please excuse us.

Supreme Chancellor Saresh: You've made the best of an unfortunate situation. Well done.

Supreme Chancellor Saresh: The Hutts want to be on the winning side of this war, and you've shown them who that is. We have you alone to thank for this alliance.

Quentine: We still have plenty of fighting to do. The Empire isn't falling anytime soon.

Supreme Chancellor Saresh: Indeed – which brings me to my next point.

Supreme Chancellor Saresh: For too long, the Republic has wasted time reacting to the enemy. We must fight this war to win by going on the offensive.

She's got my vote.

The Republic's closing up shop around Makeb. The rest of my crew came aboard the station when the ark docked, so we're warming up the Miel Muwn. So far as I know, Keylander'll stick around to record Makeb falling apart from orbit then follow the fleet out. I figure we'll split before then – call me superstitious, but it feels like bad luck being near an exploding planet.

So that's all for the Republic's adventure on Makeb. We didn't get the planet, but we saved a couple million lives in the process and I achieved my lifelong dream of breaking the Hutts over my knee. There's still a lot up in the air right now, like how to use our leverage over the Cartel. Shalim's people are on their way toward the core to bide their time while a new colony gets set up. We still don't know what those Imperials were really up to on Makeb.

One thing's for sure, I know where I'm heading – back to taking the fight to the Empire. Saresh's backing up her words, Cartel fleets are already being deployed to relieve Republic positions to free forces up for new offensives, and I'm going to be right there with them. The vacation's over. Time to win this war once and for all.

This is Captain Quentine Pellaeon, Republic Privateer, signing off.

##End Log##

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Next up on our plate: Dread.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That Makeb ending was jarring for me because in the main Trooper story Saresh is the voice of the huggy-dovey lightside option, trading the Empire's top military leader and all-around bastard back to them in exchange for some POWs, with the defense of "their families are suffering!" Must have been an election year.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bruceski posted:

Must have been an election year.

Saresh was born an Imperial slave. She's sympathetic to POWs and slaves, but never doubt for a moment that she really, really loving hates the Empire.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

A very Empire Strikes Back feeling ending.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Its an interesting ending for a Republic story line. I mean the Republic always seemed to come across as putting peace before war in the books,movies and other material and yet here we have a Republic that is going on the offensive. It's a nice change. Still prefer the Imperial story side of things now that the really stupid lets fight among ourselves while in a galactic war plots are over. It always bugged me that for as much good as the Empire does it is always Sith infighting that ruins it. I know that is what the Sith do but still you would think they'd drop it in the middle of an actual war.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

koolkevz666 posted:

Still prefer the Imperial story side of things now that the really stupid lets fight among ourselves while in a galactic war plots are over.

If you think stupid Sith infighting is over... :allears:

Siegkrow posted:

Next up on our plate: Dread.

Unfortunately, the Dread Masters storyline ends in an Operation.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Hey, to be fair the next expansion's round of stupid Sith infighting is basically the Republic's fault. :v: And Marr just sighs when he learns about it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

PoptartsNinja posted:

is it Operation: Peach Trees?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Operation: Poptarts is bad at Multiplayer in an MMO, mostly.

I don't learn my "DPS rotations" and have extremely poor situational awareness, so I'm pretty terrible even at flashpoints.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
"Let the Hutts take care of them" is really kind of a staggeringly obvious solution, but I imagine at this point everybody outside Quin doesn't really expect how much help any given Hutt can be.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

You could ask someone from That's no goon to record a run through Storymode Dread Fortress?

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

PoptartsNinja posted:

This quote will likely be even funnier to me as I have a max level sniper Agent character and I am fully up to date with the latest story line waiting for the new chapter so I should know about anymore infighting and yet for the life of me I can't remember. So yeah expect a lot of face palming or whatever it is people do here when they notice how stupid they have been.

And to stay more on topic congratulations on sticking through this, and this goes to everyone who took and are taking part, it has been a fun read and I look forward to more. Just wish it was on the European servers so I could help some how haha.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
If you were on Jedi Covenant, you could ask TNG to carry you through. As it stands though, you might have to settle for recorded run with Mort as some sort of invisible ninth member.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

I've considered transferring a character to try and do it with them. Haven't dive any except eyeless, but I've raided a bit in WoW. Plus then I could do Oricon which is neat.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Catsworth posted:

I've considered transferring a character to try and do it with them. Haven't dive any except eyeless, but I've raided a bit in WoW. Plus then I could do Oricon which is neat.

The Dread Masters are right up Atronie's alley. Plus, you already did Section X! :shobon:

I can float you a little money to pay for the server transfer (and back again afterwards, if you'd like) if that's at all a concern.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Dread Masters are right up Atronie's alley. Plus, you already did Section X! :shobon:

I can float you a little money to pay for the server transfer (and back again afterwards, if you'd like) if that's at all a concern.

If he has used a friend code, he should have a free character transfer (unless he used it OFC)

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

I used it to transfer Fake Atronie to Harbinger so I could finish up Corellia because I lose my story mission and couldn't get it back. :v:

And don't worry about any money, I'm good, but thank you! Also I've actually still got my free 60 character token, so I might just use that and make a third Atronie!

Although I do still need those drat Wings of the Architect... :argh:

Bahumat
Oct 11, 2012
As a note, the music selection for the end of Makeb during the reverse zoom on Darth Marr is a hint about the next major bit of content, and is a rather nice touch.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Man the trooper storyline is so bad that it made Mort give up in shame :P

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
What are you talking about? The Trooper story ends after Act 1 :v:

I've got more endgame updates recorded. I just don't want to bother Moon if they're not feeling like updating, so I'm considering starting a third thread just to make keeping up with the table of contents easier.

Trooper story's probably going to stay a sideshow mostly because it's very good at making me not give a poo poo.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Yeah, the trooper's story loses al cohesion after act 1.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

I've still got at least one section x thing with atronie and also recorded the jedi knight finale. Maybe I'll get around to posting them some day!

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

So are you guys starting a new thread or...?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's coming.

Stardew Valley happened. :shrug:

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.
So I was playing through Imperial Taris a few days ago, and it turns out Bioware took out a certain bonus quest. The very same that used to decide whether you won Thana's bet or not. Which means you can not in fact win it, and she'll insult you for losing the literally unwinnable bet. It gets on my nerves more than it should, honestly, but why of all bonus quests would they take out the one that actually has some relevance to the 'plot'? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

New thread up http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3769309

• Locked thread