Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Hi, I'm a software dev specializing in UI/UX/Mobile apps with a full time gig with a big company where I work in a cubicle under florescent lighting where the dominant color is "Depressing Beige."

I was approached by some guys who are looking to do a tech startup and they've got a cool workspace and promises of being able to set my own hours and work remotely and poo poo. I have no experience negotiating pay--I just took what was offered my at my current job 3 years ago like a total rube.

How do I bring up the subject? Do I start off negotiating with a realistic figure or an inflated one?

Above Our Own fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Above Our Own posted:

Hi, I'm a software dev specializing in UI/UX/Mobile apps with a full time gig with a big company where I work in a cubicle under florescent lighting where the dominant color is "Depressing Beige."

I was approached by some guys who are looking to do a tech startup and they've got a cool workspace and promises of being able to set my own hours and work remotely and poo poo. I have no experience negotiating pay--I just took what was offered my at my current job 3 years ago like a total rube.

How do I bring up the subject? Do I start off negotiating with a realistic figure or an inflated one?

Try to have them be the first to name a number. Ask for more than you're worth so that when they offer you something lower you'll have more of a middle ground since that's usually the accepted place (negotiating is so stupid sometimes). Being a tech startup they may be able to be more flexible with things like vacation time rather than pure salary (but you still try). If you don't like the salary you can probably negotiate there.

From the Cavern of Cobol developer get a job thread: http://www.kalzumeus.com/2012/01/23/salary-negotiation/

and the BFC megathread version: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3603093

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Above Our Own posted:

...Do they have funding?

They might want you to work for free ("a cut of the profits once we're all rich").

• Locked thread