Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Armani posted:

This legit terrifies me then something kicks into my brain to distract me to wash dishes

gently caress

Fuuuck

My SO overcame any such existential fears after dropping acid in a bamboo grove. Maybe try that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Nothing ends, Adrian.

Nothing ever ends.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Armani posted:

This legit terrifies me then something kicks into my brain to distract me to wash dishes

gently caress

Fuuuck

Don't worry about it. You won't be there when it happens.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
There is no self. What we are is just an amalgam of moment-to-moment perceptions and subjective experiences. Without your thoughts, emotions, memories, sensations, etc, what are you? Once all of those things melt away, what's left? So really death is just the disappearance of all subjective experience, which you can't experience anyway.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
That's overly reductive. The self may be radically different than what we think it is, and a lot of research and reflection would suggest that the self is at least partially an emergent byproduct of language and socialization, but it doesn't necessarily follow that the self therefore does not exist. At most we may feel compelled to relax or abandon some of our humanist assumptions about personhood.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Helsing posted:

That's overly reductive. The self may be radically different than what we think it is, and a lot of research and reflection would suggest that the self is at least partially an emergent byproduct of language and socialization, but it doesn't necessarily follow that the self therefore does not exist. At most we may feel compelled to relax or abandon some of our humanist assumptions about personhood.

True. "There is no self" is too simplistic but it gets the point across that what we think of our "self" is really something that is subject to constant change and which has no essential nature.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I heard talk on the radio today about how geo-engineering from various companies could save us from climate change. Letting private Companies mess around with the global thermostat at the behest of the free market sounds kind of dangerous if you ask me. It`s a perverse way to deal with global warming and it will solve nothing. Yet again a sympthom of how modern day nihilism is preventing us from using our brains in a productive manner to save ourselves. There is no major visible threat to civlization that`s beyond our thechnical or economical capacity to solve. We will just never choose to do it. That`s what will kill us in the end. In some ways i am not that bothered about humanity ending. Most species that have ever existed have long since ceased to be. Why should we be any different? It`s the way of all flesh.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Baudolino posted:

I heard talk on the radio today about how geo-engineering from various companies could save us from climate change. Letting private Companies mess around with the global thermostat at the behest of the free market sounds kind of dangerous if you ask me. It`s a perverse way to deal with global warming and it will solve nothing. Yet again a sympthom of how modern day nihilism is preventing us from using our brains in a productive manner to save ourselves. There is no major visible threat to civlization that`s beyond our thechnical or economical capacity to solve. We will just never choose to do it. That`s what will kill us in the end. In some ways i am not that bothered about humanity ending. Most species that have ever existed have long since ceased to be. Why should we be any different? It`s the way of all flesh.

Fortunately the Earth is not actually as fragile as Science Fiction movies make you believe.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
the way geoengineering would work is that in achieving its goal, it would alter weather patterns in a way that would probably intensify major droughts in some sections of africa asia and south america, killing tens or hundreds of millions for the benefit of those countries which cause the most greenhouse emissions through their consumption habits.

I wouldn't blame one of those countries hurt by the effects of geongineering from starting a conflict over it (or really, you could look at geoengineering as the initial attack on those nations), so it probably isn't politically viable without universal political agreement.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Rodatose posted:

the way geoengineering would work is that in achieving its goal, it would alter weather patterns in a way that would probably intensify major droughts in some sections of africa asia and south america, killing tens or hundreds of millions for the benefit of those countries which cause the most greenhouse emissions through their consumption habits.

I wouldn't blame one of those countries hurt by the effects of geongineering from starting a conflict over it (or really, you could look at geoengineering as the initial attack on those nations), so it probably isn't politically viable without universal political agreement.

Nuking them might kick up enough dust to cool everyone else off a bit. The rad-crawlers can pick at the bones of civilization bathed in the perpetual twilight of nuclear deliverance.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think we've adequately answered the OP's question: yes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

computer parts posted:

Fortunately the Earth is not actually as fragile as Science Fiction movies make you believe.

Nah, we're just wiping out whole species and loving up things that we depend on to survive :ironicat:

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.
There is a difference between the end of humanity and the end of the Earth. The Earth will live on even if humanity does not.

Semantics motherfucker.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

It's the end of the world as we know it. And I feel fine.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
It's kind of an academic question because whatever happens we're all going to die. Which is the important thing, to my mind. My world is very definitely going to end within the next century.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Guys, the girl I liked turned out to have a boyfriend. I'm pretty sure the world is ending.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Elukka posted:

Guys, the girl I liked turned out to have a boyfriend. I'm pretty sure the world is ending.

Told you not to lug that printer across town but did you listen?

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Elukka posted:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

PerpetualSelf posted:

We now don't have a single stable country on earth governed by any left wing party. Russia is on the rise. Hate and fear are at record levels. Global warming is growing stronger and faster. The world media is being taken over and controlled by singular entities geared towards fulfilling one single purpose. Mankind is losing all autonomy to the fascist government police state and machines.

Are these a sign of the end times? I think this is pointing that the end of mankind will be within the next 8 years. I can not imagine anything else.

We must prepare for this. We must be ready.

Russia is more like in free-fall mode. Also you don't seem to know many countries, or your view of what a "left wing party" is, is seriously screwed up.

But don't worry, you're still 66% right, the world will still end. Only 4,5 billion years left until the sun goes nova.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Libluini posted:

Russia is more like in free-fall mode. Also you don't seem to know many countries, or your view of what a "left wing party" is, is seriously screwed up.

But don't worry, you're still 66% right, the world will still end. Only 4,5 billion years left until the sun goes nova.

It's expansion will obliterate the earth long before it dies.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tncnWp67wQI&t=143s

wheez the roux fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 18, 2015

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
will there be creepy white haired girls and gay angels??? i wanna turn into tang https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ynx26LJ1YC4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Who What Now posted:

It's expansion will obliterate the earth long before it dies.

True, true.

Hear that, OP? You're even more right then I thought.

• Locked thread