Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

this is a legit answer op, for a long time whenever people had a problem they didn't know how to deal with they'd set the nearest jew of fire just to cover their bases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
If you tie it in with the theories espoused by Julian Jaynes in the Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind, it would be pretty reasonable to expect the tormenting figures to generally represent whatever authority was most well-known at the time. Schizophrenics are something of an evolutionary throwback in that the right-hemisphere's dormant speech center is more active than that of a normal person, and typically "speaks" to the victim in the voice of admonitory authority (this is why Schizophrenics so often believe they hear the voice of God).
The theory is that once upon a time the whole human race was what we would now call "schizophrenic" and that as a society the voices they heard were interpreted to be Gods. Nowadays most people don't hear them so the voices are no longer contextualized by society in a way schizophrenics can understand rationally.
My understanding is that therapeutic techniques which teach the patient to work with the voices, rather than silence or ignore them, showed much promise before the psychotherapy field switched to a chemotherapeutic standard.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Krampus

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

5-HT posted:

freemasons. and they still think that too.
they might be right who knows what they get up to when they conspire

when did people start blaming the illuminati?

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

XMNN posted:

they might be right who knows what they get up to when they conspire

when did people start blaming the illuminati?

Pretty sure that poo poo goes back to like the late 18th century.

E: The Illuminati, I mean. I'm not really sure about the Freemasons but I believe they go even further back.

the future is WOW fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 10, 2015

Zaeryth
Dec 14, 2014
Ghosts and Aliens never get old. Then again, there have pretty much always been law enforcement of some kind or another, and they're always out to get you! Or how about other crazy ppl following crazy ppl... Psychological cannibalism?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

President Garfield

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Applewhite posted:

If you tie it in with the theories espoused by Julian Jaynes in the Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind, it would be pretty reasonable to expect the tormenting figures to generally represent whatever authority was most well-known at the time. Schizophrenics are something of an evolutionary throwback in that the right-hemisphere's dormant speech center is more active than that of a normal person, and typically "speaks" to the victim in the voice of admonitory authority (this is why Schizophrenics so often believe they hear the voice of God).
The theory is that once upon a time the whole human race was what we would now call "schizophrenic" and that as a society the voices they heard were interpreted to be Gods. Nowadays most people don't hear them so the voices are no longer contextualized by society in a way schizophrenics can understand rationally.
My understanding is that therapeutic techniques which teach the patient to work with the voices, rather than silence or ignore them, showed much promise before the psychotherapy field switched to a chemotherapeutic standard.

What about the (very common) form of schizophrenia where there are tons of voices all the time that constantly insult and threaten the sufferer

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Could be a locusts of control thing. I did a paper about conspiracy theories for school one time. Dunno if it's at all the same on a neurochemical level.

Running amok is what the easterns called it along ago.

I'm partial to the type one and two association error stuff. It's very flight or fight. It's like superstitious baseball players who take to adjusting their cup only with murdering their children for the devil instead. Or whatever. This is all armchair, though.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Gangster Communist Computer God

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CAwi-Y--fQ

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

Improbable Lobster posted:

What about the (very common) form of schizophrenia where there are tons of voices all the time that constantly insult and threaten the sufferer

yeah this is so common it's used to detect malingering , lol at that other poo poo

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Poetic Justice posted:

so were there people running around on the streets screaming about how the angels and faierys and demons are listening to their thoughts? are there any documented cases of those people from back then?

They screamed about angels, demons, neighbours, trees, the sun, or whatever they felt made the most "sense" in relation to the neural misfirings they were experiencing. Just like today! German philosopher Immanuel Kant, in his older days, would often complain of "electrical waves" that he felt were interfering with his brain and "putting pressure" on his brain. He literally turned to wearing a special hat lined with metal in the hope that it would keep the electricity out. :tinfoil:

quote:

It is said that hypochondria is often a defense mechanism against paranoia. Despite exhaustive practice at his hobby, hypochondria, Kant's paranoia gradually began to get the upper hand. He started to experience pressure on his brain, which he decided was caused by a rare form of electricity in the air. Such obsession with "electrical powers" is often associated with schizophrenia. http://www.departments.bucknell.edu/history/carnegie/kant/didyouknow.html

So in summation, mentally ill people back then were pretty much mentally ill in the same way we are now. Schizophrenics feel that mysterious outside "waves" areaffecting their thoughts and their brains, and taking away from their autonomy and ability to think; then they turn to whatever explanatory apparatus they can cobble together from their contemporary surroundings, and blame it on that. Once the brain starts sending itself wrong messages about what is going on outside the confines of its skull, it doesn't matter whether you're a literal genius, like Kant. If your tool for thinking starts decaying, then your thinking-about-thinking is going to get all sorts of bonkers and there's not much you can do about it :/

Minimalist Program fucked around with this message at 10:37 on May 13, 2015

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...
What's it like to get your drivers license when you're crazy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

medium to large dogs,

• Locked thread