Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I never could understand spending weeks painting little pewter men to play some slow rear end strategy game in the back of some games/comic shop. I just wanna read about derranged supermen owning demons and casually destroying worlds because some hills just aren't worth dying on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
do people in the WH40k universe ever get tired of war? seems pretty exhausting.

WW1 was a really grindy war that went on for years and people just got fed up with it.

doesn't seem too realistic IMO

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Omi-Polari posted:

WW1 was a really grindy war that went on for years and people just got fed up with it.

It's not like ww1 was the only war. They had that one that lasted 30 years. And that one that lasted 100

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Omi-Polari posted:

yeah but don't they have, like, redeemable qualities? the rest of the universe is just mass exploitation and suffering and the tau are tolerant and stuff.

The ethereal dudes just mindcontrol everyone else which is how their empire is made up of poo poo like the kroot and vespid without them all turning on each other. That is the grand total of all nuance with them though.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Omi-Polari posted:

The most the average imperial deals with is a long boring lifetime career or being a peon/slave to some Techpriest/Administration Adept or as a trooper or naval rating in the Planetary Defense Force/System Defence Fleet. Occasionally a system gets unlucky and gets wrecked by aliens/demons/psykers/cultists or the Imperial Guard comes by and sends and entire generation of troops to die against the aforementioned threats. So the average imperial mostly just has a meaningless boring existence amongst the other trillions of normal humans.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I bet any given WWF champion from 1977-1996 could beat up a Space Marine Primarch with a flurry of suplexes

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Avernus posted:

The most the average imperial deals with is a long boring lifetime career or being a peon/slave to some Techpriest/Administration Adept or as a trooper or naval rating in the Planetary Defense Force/System Defence Fleet. Occasionally a system gets unlucky and gets wrecked by aliens/demons/psykers/cultists or the Imperial Guard comes by and sends and entire generation of troops to die against the aforementioned threats. So the average imperial mostly just has a meaningless boring existence amongst the other trillions of normal humans.
i shall quote the WH40k wiki:

quote:

The Imperium of Man is a war-torn empire, teetering on the brink of collapse. For 10,000 Terran years it has been ruled by the deathless Emperor, a being of almost limitless psychic power, to whom thousands of souls are sacrificed daily. The peoples of the Imperium live in a place where daemons are real, mutation is frequent and death is a constant companion. To be alive in the late 41st Millennium is to know that the universe is a terrifying and hostile place. It is a place where you are but one amongst billions and, no matter how heroic your death, you will not be missed. A truly vast domain, the Imperium is spread amongst the many stars of the galaxy. Its territories encompass untold millions of stars and countless more human lives. In its name, terrible wars are fought and desperate sacrifices made, yet even this river of carnage and blood is a small price to pay, for the Imperium is the guardian of Mankind. Were it to pass into nothingness, so too would the human race, destroyed by enemies uncountable, to the braying laughter of the Dark Gods.

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

are warhammer players/fans the lowest tier of nerd?

I would say Sonic fandom is lower

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

Borneo Jimmy posted:

I would say Sonic fandom is lower

definitely not, everyone who likes sonic is under the age of 20 or mentally handicapped, and sonic is a thing you enjoy in your own home, alone or with a friend or two

so thats a lot less pathetic than the middle aged financial advisors who go to the hobby store, loosen their tie and roll dice to mow down orcs with an army they spent 6 months painting

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Omi-Polari posted:

i shall quote the WH40k wiki:

That or a version of it is in the front of every single novel. But reading them will reveal that the average schmuck believes most that crap is myths and legends due to ruthless suppression by the Inquisition of any information about the existence of that kind of poo poo. To a lot of imperials daemons and space marines and poo poo are literally just a way to scare kids. Very few people relative to the massive population of the Imperium really know much about anything beyond their backwater shithole of a world and maybe perhaps some time in the local PDF fighting the occasional rebel or uppity noble.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Avernus posted:

That or a version of it is in the front of every single novel. But reading them will reveal that the average schmuck believes most that crap is myths and legends due to ruthless suppression by the Inquisition of any information about the existence of that kind of poo poo. To a lot of imperials daemons and space marines and poo poo are literally just a way to scare kids. Very few people relative to the massive population of the Imperium really know much about anything beyond their backwater shithole of a world and maybe perhaps some time in the local PDF fighting the occasional rebel or uppity noble.

fascinating! could you tell us a lot more please

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Yeah I know discussing things with people is bad and your brand of nerd is much less awful than my quietly reading garbage in the evenings before bed.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Avernus posted:

Yeah I know discussing things with people is bad and your brand of nerd is much less awful than my quietly reading garbage in the evenings before bed.

you sound pretty defensive lol

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Nah I dig nerds ripping on nerds for being worse nerds. Like star wars and star trek nerds arguing, and d&d players ripping on...eh some other pnp game or whatever. The books are just my brand of nerdbait so I figured I'd answer some poo poo. All the weird little bits and events is part of the appeal of 40k to me. Dunno, guess you kinda get into genre fiction knowing full well it's an inferior story to anything legit but you dig the setting and stuff enough. Kinda like digging on a certain kind of really lovely movie.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Avernus posted:

Nah I dig nerds ripping on nerds for being worse nerds. Like star wars and star trek nerds arguing, and d&d players ripping on...eh some other pnp game or whatever. The books are just my brand of nerdbait so I figured I'd answer some poo poo. All the weird little bits and events is part of the appeal of 40k to me. Dunno, guess you kinda get into genre fiction knowing full well it's an inferior story to anything legit but you dig the setting and stuff enough. Kinda like digging on a certain kind of really lovely movie.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

40k is for losers.

30k is for cool guys like me.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
who would win, batman vs superman vs goku vs wolverine vs space marine ?? ?

Zaeryth
Dec 14, 2014

happyhippy posted:

It's the muscly men in them.

The only valid response!

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

:hb:

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
https://soundcloud.com/skwatt/another-dramatic-reading-of-witchs-warning-by-taylor-howe-2013

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Ignore my lovely posting.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 15, 2015

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Avernus posted:

Ignore the haters. You're cool and get it. Check out some of the 40k threads in trad games, the writing is better than half the books.

I knew almost nothing about it until I read some stuff here and now it's the greatest waste of my time. Like the bold and the beautiful for goony spaz people. Don't play the game and only read half of a book, it was poo poo, I have standards.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

are warhammer players/fans the lowest tier of nerd?

im trying to think of one lower but every single fandom i can think of would look at a bunch of dumpy 40-something bachelors standing around a WH40k table and go "ugh at least we arent like those loving losers" and thats like including kids playing yugioh and anime fans

I went to a gaming store once when I was in hs and the WoW players were the ones everyone hated so among nerds I guess its WoW players but yeah to anyone else if you're playing a tabletop strategy game in the age of computers youre probably a retired sixty year old who likes Napoleon/WW2 or a broken person in whos 30

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Omi-Polari posted:

Yeah everyone's tired of it but two of the races are biologically programmed to fight and kill until there's nothing left to kill and they go extinct so you can't exactly put a hold button on it.

Though in stories and stuff there's only a few thousand space marines and the war only effects a small amount of people, in the Imperium at least. The best analogy is probably WW2. Yeah you could be drafted and die horribly, but chances are you won't.

Actually one of the neater things is that the fight against the demons and poo poo is a secret war and only a handful of people know they're out there. It's basically D&D in space so getting corrupted by demons is fuckeasy and the Imperium does all it can to keep people from finding out.

im gay

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Robo Reagan posted:

i read the eisenhorn books and it was pretty good and i just wish more sci fi was "here's a gigantic loving empire and everything's poo poo and here's a miles long battleship piloted by a dude who looks like he's in GWAR and he's fighting a bunch of other dudes who look like they should be in GWAR but they're the bad guys because gently caress THEM" instead of all this sleek tech bullshit with how squeaky clean everything is all the time you'd think people wouldn't be able to walk because of all the loving roombas they'd need to keep running

Death to this transparent soft-blue lightning that's everywhere in sci-fi nowadays.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Robo Reagan posted:

Yeah everyone's tired of it but two of the races are biologically programmed to fight and kill until there's nothing left to kill and they go extinct so you can't exactly put a hold button on it.

Though in stories and stuff there's only a few thousand space marines and the war only effects a small amount of people, in the Imperium at least. The best analogy is probably WW2. Yeah you could be drafted and die horribly, but chances are you won't.

What stories re you talking about? Even dudes who live on farm planets or work in manufactorums are still producing goods for the war. Every planet has a tithe of soldiers that they have to produce on a regular schedule. And there's tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of Space Marines. Every chapter tries to stay at the maximum allowed one thousand marines per chapter, and this is a very incomplete list of chapters.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
No Space Sharks? That diagram is HERESY :colbert:

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

I've read some Ciaphas Cain books and they were pretty entertaining I guess.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Dre2Dee2 posted:

No Space Sharks? That diagram is HERESY :colbert:

It doesn't have Minotaurs either. As I said, very incomplete.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

boom boom boom posted:

What stories re you talking about? Even dudes who live on farm planets or work in manufactorums are still producing goods for the war. Every planet has a tithe of soldiers that they have to produce on a regular schedule. And there's tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of Space Marines. Every chapter tries to stay at the maximum allowed one thousand marines per chapter, and this is a very incomplete list of chapters.

But there's hundreds of thousands of worlds. If each world would have to supply like, half a space marine each. Not really a big deal.

What's the deal with the erased guy?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Outrail posted:

But there's hundreds of thousands of worlds. If each world would have to supply like, half a space marine each. Not really a big deal.

What's the deal with the erased guy?

Generally each chapter will draw recruits from a specific world or system. But every planet has to supply normal troops on a regular basis. The amount of troops they need to supply and how often is decided by the Administratum, and it's implied they default to "a lot of troops pretty often"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

you're a pissface cockshit who is also probably gay

• Locked thread