Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
What does that even mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Neurosis posted:

Scrubs is inoffensive humour for people who are white in the worst way

Not untrue at all, but it still has some episodes and gags worth a once-over.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
The first season was extremely realistic for its time

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

scrubs was a funny show when i was 13. its still probably funny. its inoffensive and quirky but cmon there has to be better poo poo for goons to hate

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

Mange Mite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boT8ixXocCc

I used to think stuff like this was unrealistic but apparently it's a thing, or used to be.

Pendrell
May 18, 2005

honk honk

Neurosis posted:

Scrubs is inoffensive humour for people who are white in the worst way

What show is the opposite of Scrubs by this metric?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Pendrell posted:

What show is the opposite of Scrubs by this metric?

The Boondocks or somethin maybe

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Planarch posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boT8ixXocCc

I used to think stuff like this was unrealistic but apparently it's a thing, or used to be.

I actually work in a hospital now and while Scrubs is all exaggerated and TV the general atmosphere translates pretty well, where things feel kind-of dumb and goofy until "oh poo poo dying person everyone battlestations."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

thathonkey posted:

The Boondocks or somethin maybe

The Boondocks is about black characters but was designed with a white market in mind.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Mange Mite posted:

yeah, i've heard this from friends of mine who are doctors and they've said that Scrubs was the most accurate of any of the hospital shows

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

Fascinating.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

mind the walrus posted:

The Boondocks is about black characters but was designed with a white market in mind.

Yeah the constant critique of black culture and black cultural icons (Martin Luther King, rappers, Tyler Perry, Civil Rights-era protesters, slavery-era folk heroes, Katrina victims, Jesse Jackson, self-hating black people, self-hating-black-people-hating-black people, Black Panther-era activists, etc etc etc in literally every episode) was totally intended to speak to white people

Basically totally identical to The Cosby Show, a show about black characters designed for mainstream appeal, in every respect especially tone and how it handled racial issues

yep

retard

Edit: White person: Wow, that sure was a scathing take on my hip-hop community's homophobia issues

Tujague fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

• Locked thread