Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Endless runs eventually end up being daylight bank robberies. Run in, blow the safes, shoot people if they get uppity, GTFO while shooting the cops on the way out. Stealth isn't too much of an option other than some quick recon unless you're lucky, but you might be able to bypass a bunch of guards and lock them in with a shock trap or two for when it gets loud. Money shouldn't be great concern as you should have max agents by now. You pretty much buying as many shock traps as you can get along with a couple of EMPs for robots and mass safe cracking and cloaks just so you can walk out of some really bad situations. Flashing them with the cloak is bonus fun when you can get it.

Less time on a level, less time for something to go really wrong. I really don't like Sankaku as there are drones everywhere and the sound bugs restricts movement and makes herding of guards with sound hard.

Leaving bodies everywhere can be useful for slowing alert guards down as they spend time shouting "Hey! is he ok?". I pulled of an Expert Plus DLC win with this by knocking out or killing a guard in a relatively out of the way room. Every time someone fell over everybody stops to check the body and it draws more guards in. They did eventually started to get out, but I had kettled them in long enough for that not to be a concern as I had free range on the rest of the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

An ode to shock traps:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
:eyepop: Goddamn. Six?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

It's been a few hours so I'm probably not recalling exactly, but it's five: the dudes in the bottom right were hit when an enforcer ran out of the pad into my trap. The other dudes went through a separate shock trap I placed earlier, and they're about to wake up.

Fortunately for me, the exit is just south of my position and I've got unlimited power thanks to Archive!Internationale and the alarms.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay, how the heck do turrets work? Sometimes I hack them and they kill guards, sometimes they just go into overwatch on 'em, and sometimes nothing happens. What gives?

I think they will overwatch but not fire if the guard's armor is too high. At least, that was my hypothesis when it happened to me and turned a carefully planned death trap into a disorganized scramble for survival.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Draco is pretty funny if you get a K&O level with a laser for the first stage. I think I expended one bullet.

There was just a bit of collateral damage to deal with.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I burst out laughing to see so many dead guards. That's incredible! :allears:

Trip report: I finally got the ten days in Endless mode cheevo and I'm honestly worn out from seeing the same level designs over and over again - but the game took pity on me for my final mission in that mode.

The vault was connected to the beginning room, there was one guard between me and the exit, and the safe had the exit key in it. Incredibly, ridiculously easy and I'm happy to move onto playing other modes - Expert+, time attack, anything but "cloak, shocktrap, cloak, hack safes, leave".

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Hahahaha. I wonder if that is coded in.

"Jesus this guy has seen every permutation. Just give him the award."

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Every time I've tried to launch this game the past few days the DLC content is not loading, so I can't start a mission with any of the new agents or find any of the contingency plan items...I've got it ticked in the DLC box on steam and I've reinstalled the game a few times, no dice.

What's going on?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Fano posted:

Every time I've tried to launch this game the past few days the DLC content is not loading, so I can't start a mission with any of the new agents or find any of the contingency plan items...I've got it ticked in the DLC box on steam and I've reinstalled the game a few times, no dice.

What's going on?

Dumb question: have you verified the cache? Have you tinkered with the files to get that hidden cheevo? I'm not sure what's going on if both of those are clear.

Gameplay thing:

archive!Prism and archive!Internationale are cheating. There, I said it. One of them has an invisiblity cloak that works forever as long as you have power. One of them generates power when the alarm goes up, with the highest alarms generating 20 power per turn. This expert run is just ridiculously easy with them, and when I finally got a third agent I got Xu.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Dumb question: have you verified the cache? Have you tinkered with the files to get that hidden cheevo? I'm not sure what's going on if both of those are clear.
Done both of those things, I got it to work by restarting steam, I dunno.

Fano fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 7, 2016

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Fano posted:

Done both of those things, I got it to work by restart steam, I dunno.

Huh, weird. Glad to hear it's working now, at least!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Game's out on iPad. :toot:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

An ode to Mono Molecular Railguns - that's the final mission on an expert difficulty dlc campaign. I've got two of the things, and that means my agents can sit on all of the guards in the level, while Prism waits to stun the elite enforcers 'porting in.

And yes. I got lucky and got two guards to get KOed in the same tile, so I just dragged one dude over to sit on a pile of three.

Naturally my security room was as far from the mainframe room as possible, but hey, Monster had a clear path for sprinting.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Bought this game on sale the other day. Holy poo poo I'm completely addicted to it. Just cannot stop. Haven't beaten the campaign yet but still loving it. Quick question: I always tend to split my duo up to cover more ground. I don't know if this is optimal however as you still need to spend the same amount of turns getting one guy over to the other guy. What do you guys do?

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Bought this game on sale the other day. Holy poo poo I'm completely addicted to it. Just cannot stop. Haven't beaten the campaign yet but still loving it. Quick question: I always tend to split my duo up to cover more ground. I don't know if this is optimal however as you still need to spend the same amount of turns getting one guy over to the other guy. What do you guys do?

The more you can scout in the first few turns, the better, IMO.

Finding your objective and your exit room during the early game allows you to plan out your route much more efficiently, you don't want to still not know where your exit elevator is when the alarm hits level 4. I tend to split my agents up at the beginning too, though they usually end up in the same general location about halfway through the missions.

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

:hellyeah:

I really like this game. It took me almost 50 hours and quite a few attempts to beat the extended campaign, but I'm still enjoying the moment-to-moment gameplay so much that I started an endless mode run right after.

What I dislike about the game is that it doesn't do a very good job of explaining its mechanics. A few things that I found useful (most of these have been mentioned in the thread):
  • Pointing at a character and holding shift shows the extent of their vision. For enemies, this means the tiles they are "watching". For allies, it's the tiles in their FOV, which is also where enemies would need to be standing to see you.
  • Dragging an unconscious body over another pins them both despite the indicator not turning green. Rebooting drones can be pinned by standing over them, but not dragged.
  • If you lose an agent, they will appear in a subsequent detention center with everything they were carrying.
  • Running footsteps can be heard 5 tiles away (3 diagonally). I think gunshots propagate further than that, can anyone confirm? Guards can hear doors being opened if they're standing in the doorway, but not even one tile away.
  • Running can be toggled at any time when an agent's AP is higher or equal to their base AP, regardless of the reason. This means that you can run for a few steps to distract a nearby guard and cancel running to sneak back into cover.
  • Cybernetics labs sometimes have an extra augmentation room that opens with a vault keycard.
  • In addition to basic heart monitors, using Xu's augment tool on guards disables firewall-based armor barriers for a turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Nice work! I've never seen the special vault in Cybernetics labs, maybe you need a Vault key for it to spawn?

E: nvm I didn't realize what the door to the keycard vault looks like

Boatswain fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Dec 23, 2016

• Locked thread