Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow
Skylar came into a shelter on April 29, 2015 as a stray found in a rural area. She was underweight and unable to use her front left limb. She had to be carried up the stairs into the building.

There was concern about a dislocation, break, or other injury. Shy but trusting, she seemed grateful for the food and place to rest.

Vet X-Rays reveled her limb was full of shrapnel. She had been shot a while ago and the leg was causing her pain. Amputation was the best option available. Many shelters don't have funds or options to treat for surgeries like this. Thankfully the shelter has a fund set up for animals like her, and the community raised money to cover her surgery. She underwent surgery the next day and returned to the shelter after a few days of rest.

Her smile says it all.

Since then Skylar has been regaining her spirit. She is a beautiful dog that just loves to be around people. Smart, charming, and very sweet, she will find her way to a new happy life when she has finished healing. Until she's ready to go, she is staying at the shelter and there will be pictures and updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mapparu
Sep 22, 2013

very cute dog, im so happy for you guys!

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow

Mapparu posted:

very cute dog, im so happy for you guys!

I'm just happy for her! She's a great dog. Would love to adopt her but that's not going to happen.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Aww, look how much happier she is. :3: That's great.

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow
Photos from 1 week post-surgery. Happy pup.

People ask often how Skylar can get along on only three legs. She does amazingly and is much more mobile than before surgery. She was up and trying to over-exert herself within days. Now she can go on short walks and likes walking with other dogs.

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008
Look at that big, dumb, sweet face.

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

For whoever ends up keeping that dog you should give them info on Eddie's Wheels http://eddieswheels.com/ - my APBT is missing the same leg and after a few years of walking like a linebacker she ended up having some pretty legit shoulder issues and Eddie was able to make a contraption that lets her do multi mile walks any time. Before we got that she was looking at maybe 2 blocks, now 4 miles is a normal Saturday.

Altimeter fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 14, 2015

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow

Mutar posted:

For whoever ends up keeping that dog you should give them info on Eddie's Wheels http://eddieswheels.com/ - my APBT is missing the same leg and after a few years of walking like a linebacker she ended up having some pretty legit shoulder issues and Eddie was able to make a contraption that lets her do multi mile walks any time. Before we got that she was looking at maybe 2 blocks, now 4 miles is a normal Saturday.

I will definitely point them in that direction. Her front leg is fully functional but her gait is not going to be easy on the spine and joints, that's for sure.

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow
Skylar earlier this week. She's getting feisty.

What a total ham.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

She is so beautiful :kimchi:

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Where is she located?

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow

Parts Kit posted:

Where is she located?
In rural Alberta, Canada. Lots of husky, shepherd, collie, and lab mixes around here.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

I like that dog and I am glad that amputating the limb helped her out so much. Good luck, dog! Keep smiling!

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Aww she's a total cutie :kimchi: she won't miss that leg at all, trust me.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I want to see her Husky-Tearin it up on 3 legs. That's gonna be adorable.

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow

Suspect Bucket posted:

I want to see her Husky-Tearin it up on 3 legs. That's gonna be adorable.

She is not quite healed up enough to be tearing it around yet. But she can chew a rawhide like a boss.

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow
Skylar got her sutures out and did great!

She's going for her spay surgery this week and going up for adoption next week.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Rat posted:

She's going for her spay surgery this week and going up for adoption next week.

Yaaay! Good dog.

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow
You can watch Skylar having a little run.

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow
Great news! Skylar has found a home. A nice couple with a few cats came in and adopted her. Skylar loves cats, so that's a good fit. It's too bad her #1 cat buddy didn't go with her.

Remember that sad face on day one. Compare that to 4 weeks later on her adoption day:
vs.

She is all smiles and I'm very happy for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
:3: A good dog. Thanks for keeping us updated this whole time. So happy for Skylar!

• Locked thread