Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Problem: My machine is randomly cold booting without any real pattern of cause. There are no *hiccups* that would precede a cut out (freezes, slowdowns, audio errors, I/O errors). I can't even fix this when I can't even tell what is broken.

What I know So Far:
  • This machine gets used for several hours every day and I'm averaging 1 cut out a day although I could leave this thing on for 4 days and get nothing then have it reboot 3 times in one hour the next day.
  • The machine reports no errors or hardware failures, the event viewer doesn't list anything happening either just a gap in the system logs and then a pissed off kernel error that the machine wasn't shut down properly last time.
  • It doesn't appear to be load related, I've sat and gamed for hours with no problem then the next day it's cut out after 5 minutes on the log in screen while I go to get a beer
  • It doesn't appear to be temperature related. I've been putting this machine through it's paces over the last 2 weeks with GTAV and the GPU temperature didn't go higher than 68C with full fans during the most intense scenes, likewise CPU cores peaked at around 72C but usually ran much cooler. I'm going to blast everything with air tomorrow to be doubly sure but all the same...
  • There have been no alterations to my machine hardware since before the cut-outs started.

Specs:
Version: 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU (quad core)
BIOS: American Megatrends 0707
RAM: 4 x 4GB DDR3
GPU: Nvidia GTX 770
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Ranger (:pcgaming:)

Location UK

And yes I read the FAQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
What's the brand and model of your power supply? By "cut-out" you mean it reboots without warning, or just shuts down?

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

750w Corsair RM and its rebooting after roughly 3 seconds after powering down.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I'd confirm that all four power cables (4+4 for CPU, 20+4 near DIMMs) are connected, and if so, try updating the motherboard BIOS. If that doesn't help I suspect the power supply, lower-end modular power supplies like that tend to have very poor build quality, because that's the corner they cut to add modularization while staying within price points.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

I've just gone for the shotgun approach and cleaned it out, blasted every crevice, reseated everything, put some new thermopaste on the cpu and cleaned a few suspect contacts. Now we wait...

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm watching this thread with some degree of interest. My (probably) PSU started crapping the bed in a similar way this past Saturday, with the sudden cold reboots under inconsistent circumstances. I'm letting it sit quietly for a few days until my new PSU arrives, because I don't wanna risk damaging any other parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Well, good/bad end.

It's stopped cutting out meaning that one of the 8 different physical things I did during opening it up fixed it. gently caress knows what though....

• Locked thread