Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I dunno, the Wind Waker Chaos Mode stream was pretty amazing over all, but nothing is topping that brief moment where Ganondorf was swapped out for this glorious motherfucker:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Stream videos will go here once they're uploaded. Like I said at the end of the stream, I'm not doing a full LP of this now, but maybe a little down the road we can come back to this.

Chaos Wind Waker
Part 1 (Outset Island)
Part 2 (Outset Island)
Part 3 (Forsaken Fortress 1)
Part 4 (Forsaken Fortress 1)
Part 5 (Windfall Island)

Artix fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 22, 2015

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
Ah, don't you love the Japanese and their punny names? Of course the guy who makes you do the cat-noise jumps would be named nekoNiko.

Valgaav fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 22, 2015

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Sweet jesus those wakes.

Beedle's got an amazing loving boat.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I am 100% for a hack where Ganon stalks you throughout the entire game, not unlike the One Dangerous Zombie mode from the Resident Evil Remake.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Yo I'm powering through the Ocarina of Time videos and it's been pretty great, but I finally lost it at the Bolero of Fire fiasco. :golfclap:

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
Bah, sadly I don't like this new "chaos mode" game. They tried too hard to copy the other ones but then they have that teenager twinge of "GOTTA HAVE MORE OF IT" to the point they forgot what the others were in the first place. It's really not as enjoyable, and it cycles too quickly to get a good look at anything that actually happens, especially when it comes to changes in the model rendering...

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Oof. Those constant model glitches are really annoying and hurt my eyes after a while.
But drat if Wind Waker doesn't look good when it fucks with the palette. I wish it'd just stay one of those options, changing when you enter a new room.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

In case you missed the Wind Waker stream, I helpfully summed it up in a single gif!

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

You beat it.

Are you Sheogorath now?

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

Shei-kun posted:

Sweet jesus those wakes.

Beedle's got an amazing loving boat.

I prefer to think he's just irrigating the bomb flower crop.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Could someone explain why the text suddenly turns Japanese?

I was under the impression that N64 games were highly storage-limited (32 MB limit) and that leaving the text in from another language version that you can't even access would be a frivolous waste of space. Why would they not just remove the Japanese text to save room?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Patter Song posted:

Could someone explain why the text suddenly turns Japanese?

I was under the impression that N64 games were highly storage-limited (32 MB limit) and that leaving the text in from another language version that you can't even access would be a frivolous waste of space. Why would they not just remove the Japanese text to save room?

A font is really small, and since IIRC the Japanese game can use English characters (you can name in English, can't you? I know you can in a lot of games) they've already got room for both font sets. On the NES and even the SNES this was a concern. Less so on the N64 (which could have 64 MB carts, incidentally, though I'm pretty sure Ocarina of Time was a 32 MB cart). As for the labels on buttons and such, it's probably the same: the files are so small there wasn't really a need to get rid of them.

Edit: It may not even have all the Japanese text/script if it was partially overwritten, even if some fragments are accessible. Leftover files and file bits are pretty common.

Double edit: If you want a look at the kinds of crazy stuff that gets left in game code, have a browse around The Cutting Room Floor, which I at least think is pretty fascinating. But I enjoy that kind of thing.

Prism fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 3, 2015

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

They probably had plenty of storage space available after they decided that the 64DD hooks could be removed. Also, wasn't it 32 megabit instead of megabyte? That's a factor 8 difference.
But anyway, more evidence that they had room to spare is that the Triforce Wipe (tm) was still left in there and that there's still debug tools in the rom, that you can glitch your way into.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The main difference between the NTSC-U and NTSC-J versions is a flag that tells the game which language to display; aside from that, I think the two versions are identical, so they both have the Japanese and English fonts and scripts.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Doublepost but we're doing an impromptu Wind Waker stream.

https://hitbox.tv/artix

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

If you didn't manage to catch the most recent stream, this is what you missed.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Faerie Fortune posted:

As well as a sauna so relaxing that even Ganon wanted to enjoy it. :allears:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Faerie Fortune posted:

I was going to do that same thing, but then I was a fraction of a second too late.

Instead I got Goku and Dadboat doing yoga. Dadboat doing Downward Dragon.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Link, your boat's sinking. Put your leg down and get a bucket.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Okay for real this time, we're done until I clean a few things off my LP plate. Maybe in a couple months we'll be back.

Wind Waker Stream 2
Part 1 (Dragon Roost Island)
Part 2 (Dragon Roost Cavern)
Part 3 (Dragon Roost Cavern)
Part 4 (Dragon Roost Cavern)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Forgot about the Chaos dump until the last episode came live on my subscriptions.

Excuuuuuse me, Ganon

• Locked thread