Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Great new video.
The Labs are weird. All the other areas are constructed way better than it I feel, and the boss wasn't really super satisfying either. One of the rare additions I wasn't really a fan of.

So, before the big update, the Sunken Prison was mainly reached by using both the Angel and Devil keys in succession. Or you could drop in through the Library with the last key. But with the addition of the Lower Skyway, you're able to get in way earlier. The place is super dangerous though, and that's mostly because almost everything in there is a Feral variant with a different status effect. You've got Crabs with corruption all over the ceilings, making it so you're unable to heal and knocking you down levels while you platform. You've got poisonous Sirens, which just makes an annoying enemy even worse. The Reapers are now ice variants just so you can freeze you. And the newest and final addition to the Feral cast, the Puffers, who are just durable, hit hard, and can retreat into a semi-invulnerable shell that'll react to any attack by spreading poison.
Luckily your magic deals with most of this, especially Thunder Chain which can yank the Puffers out of their invincibility. Still, this is the area where the Ferals go all out and I actually like fighting them here on Godslayer because of all the enemy combinations. And just to highlight even more how this is the feral area, the music playing in the Prison is a very solemn remix of the boss theme that plays against the Feral bosses.

The mega crab and fire siren are kinda funny easter eggs. It's a way to get more ArchFeral Spirits without fighting actual bosses but they almost feel like someone's creepypasta. I love dumb secrets like this though.

Not a big fan of the Alagath fight. As seen in the video she plays super defensively. She'll block so often, on top of having an extra layer of shields you have to break that any divine boss has. And it's not like she hits weak either, those hammer attacks can seriously wreck you if you didn't have such good armor and Strength, because they also inflict you with the Reckoning status effect, which is just a massive damage boost for Alagath. That, and her healing shield phase is way harder to get through on higher difficulties, but I think that's been toned a bit. So yeah, it's really a case of slowly whittling her HP while taking care of yourself. Unlike a certain other boss who plays a whole different ball game...

SSNeoman posted:

One aspect I feel EndlessFluff dropped the ball on is including an accessory for farming. Especially how the game can be somewhat dependent on it.

I...want to like the Grey Knight armor, and I sort of do. After all the hoops you have to jump through to get it it, I admit it is a worthwhile reward. But I just feel it demonstrates an issue with the combat system. Namely that enemies can mercilessly stunlock you and you can easily lose a shitton of MP in no time. And the worst part is that you don't really have any easy way to replenish your MP. Yeah you have your MP subtanks, but those are a finite resource and it feels like a waste to pop them on trash mobs.
OTOH I guess if you made it take less of your MP per hit it would make the game too easy.

So you no longer need to equip the Book to kill the Eyes? Cause man, fighting them with that thing on was haaaaaaarsh :(
You can put some points in Luck and really notice a difference but yeah, there's no easy way to farm stuff.

Honestly the Grey Knight armor makes you night immortal to the point that I really don't mind. I'd almost call it OP really, because now you have approximately 6 health bars you're able to use. And really, you should use your potions liberally anyway. Well, I thought so, till I saw this episode and realized Spirit Potions don't affect rank, only HP ones do. Oops.
Anyway, I think it's an awesome reward and it reminds me of finding something like the Claim Solais and just feeling empowered.

I mean, you never needed that "thing" in the first place, it was just a massive boon. Because really, what you should do is invest in AGI, equip the Finisher with the lowest amount of Focus required, then equip the book ONLY when you turn Focus mode on and never use your finisher. You get a good 30+ second to wail on the bosses with a massive damage boost and it makes them way easier even on Godslayer. Of course, this has been changed now to be more balanced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Finally recorded the final episode of this LP. Sorry for all the delays. Life and work got in the way as well as I was really dreading trying to fight the one optional boss. (Spoilers: I didn't end up beating them, but you'll still see the fight sans the last phase.) I just wanted to get this LP done.
Originally I was going to do a run through as Vlad. Then I thought I might stream his play through, but now I'm not sure if I will to be honest. Anyway, the final update should be some time this week.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

:siren: Update 12 - Wyatt - The Pit, The Hall of the Fallen, The Sanctuary :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH0bM_3RmrU

Sorry for both the long wait and the kind of crappy commentary in this. I pretty much did it once and that's all I had time for. There's one bit in particular that normally I would have cut and redone but I find the absurdity of it too great not to share.

Also! I had a bonus video for the other helper moves and just realized I accidentally deleted the files!

This LP has become a train wreck... hah

Hopefully someone who has more time and is better at it will come and give it the LP it deserves. Until then... well...

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Wow who the gently caress thought that was good design? The combat in this game is hectic as is and now you need to do a goddamn finisher too?

And yeah, that's why I don't really like the Grey Knight armor. It is very powerful, but look at this poo poo. Look at it. You could use the dog as an MP drip, but it's a band-aid solution at best.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Nice work on finishing the LP, mate. At least I assume it's finished now, I think you said you're not gonna do Valdyn anymore?

A couple notes in no particular order:

You made life way harder on yourself against the Eyes and the final boss by always immediately ending your super mode to summon an ally. The way those three work is that they have pretty absurd defenses, but the Book of Lifeblade Teachings or whatever it was called nullifies those defenses whenever you're in your super mode. You may have noticed the final boss' bombs suddenly did way more damage at the end for a moment, and that's why. It's a big reason why I prefer high agility builds with Sir Pancake's special move, just because it lets me spend most of my time in super mode. On that note I think Leilodin might also be affected by Lifeblade Teachings but I'm not sure on that one.

On the subject of True Anemone, most characters actually have methods to somewhat trivialise her, since her head is actually vulnerable to all attacks once the shield is down and not just those bombs. Valydin's light attack auto-aims so he can merrily shoot away at her when there's no bombs, Gilda has access to a triple-jump and can easily reach her, and Reina gets skills that boost Reckoning damage, which is the status effect those bombs afflict. Wyatt's the odd one out here and has to rely on double-jump and lightning chains to actually reach the boss' head so he's kinda the worst against her. The joke here is that Wyatt used to be the best against her at one point because his bleed effect went through her shield and made short work of her but the developers considered that a glitch and patched that out.

There's actually four bonus scenes for the credits. If you beat the game on Godslayer you get a five-years-later scene for whatever character you're using to show how that whole war against the gods is going, not too well is the answer here. The townspeople scene was actually added for the new characters patch, mostly because people weren't sure if they actually survived the whole city drowning thing and just assumed that everyone they saved and recruited just died after the final boss anyway. The scene's just meant to clarify that they survived.

The devs actually filled that last armor slot a couple months ago. At some point they added an arena mode where you fight various combinations of enemies and bosses, up to and including both Eyes at the same time. Once you reach floor 20 or 30, don't remember which, you unlock the last armor, Holy Diver, and you start each new playthrough with it much like you do with the weapons you unlock. The armor's unique in that it's properties change depending on what your highest stat is, but I don't really remember how good it is because I never bothered experimenting with it, I was pretty burned out on the game by the point the arena patch came out.

I forgot if it was mentioned, but the Book of Lifeblade Teachings worked differently before the new characters patch. Instead of ignoring defenses of super bosses during super mode it was an accessory that lets you ignore super boss defense at all times but takes your health away each hit unless you're in super mode. My crowning achievement for the game was S-ranking the two Eyes on Godslayer pre-patch with a barehanded Reina without Lifeblade Teachings, which is more a testament to how brokenly powerful she gets when built right than to my skill really.

SSNeoman posted:

And yeah, that's why I don't really like the Grey Knight armor. It is very powerful, but look at this poo poo. Look at it. You could use the dog as an MP drip, but it's a band-aid solution at best.

If I remember correctly your combat rank only goes down if you take HP damage, so the Grey Armor effectively gives you four extra health bars where your rank doesn't decrease when hit. It gives some nice leeway when trying to S-rank late-game bosses but I never really used it a lot myself either.

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 30, 2016

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

That's really cool! I had no idea about the other credits scene!

And yeah. I'm done with this LP. I just don't have the time for an LP right now.

Also apparently Endless Fluff (the devs) recently announced they're next game. It's not a sequel to this one unfortunately, but rather some sort of tactics-like game. More Info.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

D_W posted:

That's really cool! I had no idea about the other credits scene!

And yeah. I'm done with this LP. I just don't have the time for an LP right now.

Also apparently Endless Fluff (the devs) recently announced they're next game. It's not a sequel to this one unfortunately, but rather some sort of tactics-like game. More Info.

Well, I'm sorry you won't be doing the rest, but I really enjoyed this. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Just caught up. Good LP. Thanks for finding the time to finish it, too, even if you didn't cover everything you wanted to.

• Locked thread