Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Final Update: Post Game

This game's post-game is a bit of a wet fart in all honesty. There's not much to do and it's kind of uninteresting. I also have literally no way to do it all despite my best efforts, but I'll get into it a bit more when we get to that.

When we last left off we had saved the digital world and our digi-gods are still, well, ridiculously overpowered.

Before we get the game started proper I grab a MegaGargomon off screen, he's the last farm quest digimon we needed. Now we can do all of the post-game quests. Barring one.

Our first quest is yet another "Stop the Duel" quest. This is our third I think.

So apparently he has a stomach ache and wants us to cancel his duel for him. :shrug: Anyway this quest unlocks a new area, Shadow Abyss. It's one of three post-game areas.

It is full of Dark and Dragon type digimon. Honestly I really don't like the place.

:confused: Maybe this was supposed to be a farm quest at some point? Either way, we have to fight Skull Greymon now.

We can fight BlackWarGrowlmon here. Of course you can't really degenerate the line far since most of it requires you have a guilmon to begin with, so it's kind of useless to get one.

Going through a teleport takes us into the level proper. Honestly you see this one screenshot, you've seen the entirety of Shadow Abyss. It's basically a crappy Barrel Volcano from Mario RPG. Just a lava maze, no interesting scenery or anything.

Apparently none of these Zanbamon are good enough for SkullGreymon to fight. This place does have a fairly large enemy variety, but it loses its appeal when you run into three or four encounters before you can cross one screen. The encounter rate in the post-game areas is absolutely insane.

This is SkullGreymon, obviously. Sure would be nice if we could just beat him up now, wouldn't it?

But no. We have to beat two other crappy digimon before we can fight this guy.

Here's one.

DarkLizardmon is a boring digimon. It dies in one hit.

This is basically how most of these quests are going to go. They take a long time and they're not very fun to play through, the encounter rate is obnoxious.

Only because trying to flee in this game is useless. It really, really is. It takes longer to try and run away than it does to just kill everything. I've bitched about it before and I'll do it again!

:effort: LadyDevimon is like Devimon, but a lady.

I really don't know why they thought this sort of thing was a good idea.

He's like three screens and thirty random fights away.

He's as much of a chump as the other two. Also he's very weak to light based damage.

I bought 99 GateDisks because there's no way in hell I'm walking out of these places anymore.

I bet these post-game quests have amazing rewards, right?

:suicide:

The treadmill lets you grind your HP to 9999 at the farm if you're terrible. See, digimon randomly using farm goods is, well, random and fairly rare. You're limited to like five manual training uses with a pretty high failure rate and you can even critical fail and lose stat points when using farm goods. It's genuinely faster to just evolve and devolve for stats than ever using your farm. The digifarm is seriously useless thanks to how slow the EXP gains and how limited the farm goods are.

One of two remaining farm quests.

This one unlocks another new place. Basically three demons are in this place for mystery reasons and it's making everyone mad, because they're demons and shouldn't be there.

Highlight Heaven is basically the opposite of Shadow Abyss. Go figure.

Visually this place reminds me of Earthbound. I like it a lot, but the encounters really, really drag it down.

As expected there are a lot of holy digimon here.

Anyway this is our goal. To kick these jackasses out.

:sigh: Yup, we have to chase them all around this area and fight the same three digimon multiple times. How fun.

Spoilers: They're all weak to light damage and go down in one shot.

Then they teleport away.

Just by the way this place is full of linear paths and teleports. It looks like a maze at first, but there are tiny background-looking objects that obscure whole paths so you basically can only go in one direction :downs: As much as I like the look of this place, the actual design is kind of bad.

I like that Digimon translations can never agree on a name translation.

Anyway, we find this guy! I wonder if his "formation" will be any harder.

They go down in one hit, again. Omnimon has a strong field-wide attack.

Guess where Lilithmon is hiding?

If you guessed "literally the screen we just came from" give yourself a prize! They love doing things like this and it really makes me wonder why they bothered to begin with. Most quests have you progress deeper and deeper into the dungeon. But every so often,nope! Go back without any warning!

I am terrified of these three demons that have been utterly wiped two times previously.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Three demons go down in one shot.

Your formations are bad and you should feel bad! :zoid: Seriously, formation doesn't actually have impact on anything beyond what areas you're in.

He's glad a war didn't happen. They weren't even strong enough to start a whole war on their own. :shrug:

It's a ring that resists electricity.

This is the other remaining farm quest. It's got a few...inconsistencies.

You know, I would have genuinely liked it better if these quests were about grinding scan% or something. I have 100% aidramon data, I could just give it to him. But no, I have to go to highlight heaven again and do some dumb stuff.

If you're wondering whether or not all the post-game quests take place in these areas, the answer is yes.

These show up in the wild now. They resist light pretty good and survive one hit from omnimon's light attacks. Anything else still wrecks them.

How nice of him. What I cut out is that we start back near where we met Lilithmon. This guy is back near where we started on that same quest. We had to walk all the way across this area to talk to him. And guess what? We're going to have to walk all the way back.

By the way, I think you were originally supposed to talk to Goldramon instead. Which would have made sense since he's a dragon god and phoenixmon is a bird!

This guy seems trustworthy.

He actually is, is the weirdest thing. I was expecting them to make me talk to like two more NPCs and fight more.

:shrug: With this we can go down a new path and finish this quest.

Sure, can we just fight already?

He'll give it to us if we beat him up. I'm beginning to think Digimon are just masochistic.

This is Phoenixmon. It is a bird. Omimon carves him up like a turkey and he goes down in one shot.

Sora really needs to work on her networking skills.

Phoenixmon is not Goldramon, game. Anyway that's that quest done.

Collecting digimon like some people collect insects is kind of weird. Digimon are sentient beings.

Another resist ring we'll never use.

Oh no, we have to save Yugi's exodia cards!

His cards were stolen from BlackWarGrowlmon? Piedmon sounds kind of like a jerk.

What. I don't even know what this means. Lets just go to a volcano and beat up some criminals.

Thankfully I never have to come here again after this.

We fight Lady Devimon here now randomly. I also start using a no-random encounters code because gently caress it.

Not that anyone tells us, but Piedmon is deeper in this place. We have to go find him.

Oh so they were stolen by BowelMovementGrowlmon.

:geno: Of course this quest wasn't going to be that easy. We didn't even fight anyone.

:effort: now we have to walk back and fight the other guy so we can come back to fight him.

He's a joke. One hit and he's down.

He's also a coward.

How did a recolor-tier ultimate steal from a mega anyway?

And here's the clown. He too goes down in one shot.

And now we're done with all the species quests. Hooray.

That's not what happened at all!

The Pyramid is the Treadmill but for MP. It's just as useless.

This is going to be our last quest. And it's a decently cool one.

Only useful character in the game, aw yeah.

They're basically the digimon illumanti, I guess. They sit around behind the scenes and do nothing but Julia will wet herself rambling about how strong and influential they are.

But now that the Union, that is to say Sora, has taken out a huge threat like Grimmon they decided to acknowledge the Union, again Sora, as an organization. They do this by fighting apparently. Of course Sora is in fact the only one who can fight so that's the entire gist of this quest. Go here, fight dudes. Like always.

This is the final area of the game, the Transfield. It's pretty cool. It's made out of four other areas with slightly changed colors but it's a short area too.

Basically each place is like this, it looks like an old location but with a color filter over it or something and they're only like three or four screens long. At the end of each one is a teleport that takes you to the next one.

Enemy Variety is pretty good here too.

I like that they kept the palette-swap background for the fights too. More Recolors and an old man.

Up next is the jungle.

I really like Lotosmon's design. Rosemon and Minotarumon are here too. :shrug:

Also bugs and centaurs! I always wondered what the deal with the purple lumps on centarumon's body were.

The jungle is fairly short but with paths to get optional treasure. The magnet robe gamma is just a better magnet robe, obviously. It resists electric attacks. The blue square in the corner of the second image is the teleporter out.

And to the beach.

The bit ring would be good if money was ever an issue. But it really isn't, the quests alone give you more than you'll ever need.

Ton of enemies here! Brachiomon is new and while the chicken isn't, I don't think we've fought him before.

I like Shurimon. I don't know why, his design's just always been cool to me. Eaglemon is here too.

Kappas and catbirdmen! The weird gun-staff thing Shaujinmon has confuses me.

The final area is the mansion side of Thriller Ruins.

I think we've seen all of these before, except for this fat rear end in a top hat he looks goofy.

Into the final teleport we go.

We run into the Gaia Origin finally!

They're a wordy bunch. But basically Duftmon is all smug saying the union is useless, Sleipmon is just like "well you showed up, lets fight." So we do.

The unique arena for the gaia origin guys is pretty cool. I'm not really sure how they chose which digimon to be in the gaia origin, but these two are kind of odd choices to me.

These two are the easiest and go down in one shot. The others won't be as easy, but don't expect much.

Indeed...

:woop: Sora don't need no union!

Yes. I call it "Grind until everything explodes."

So we have to beat the rest of the elite four, and conveniently one shows up.

Sora is displeased with his conduct. It is worth mentioning that you have to fight them all in a row, you don't get to take a break or anything. However since it is post-game, even if you aren't maxed out in stats you can easily afford to just spend all your cash on full heals and throw them at your digimon every other turn.

Vegeta here will show us how a real super saiyan fights.

going from a two on three battle to a one on three battle is kind of hilariously unfair in my favor.

The other guys bail instead of evening the odds.

This all gets a bit weird when you realize that Apocalymon's geometric rear end is like, bigger than most other digimon period. And he just shows up casually chatting with people.

Anyway, the fight! He's super, super weak to light attacks. so Omnimon just kind of trashes him.

Sora nods when he says this. But she's lying her rear end off. The others all suck, even Koh who is the best lightfang is terrible.

Seriously, they were going to let the digital world get destroyed just because "maybe these guys were strong enough? Who knows."

What he was going to say will never be resolved.

The burning power of Omnimon's holy sword cutting him in half?

I don't know either, Apocalymon. I kind of gave up on this game's script ages ago.

I can only assume Sora is trying not to giggle here as she recalls how easy this has been so far.

And now Susanoomon! He's basically an attempt to update Omnimon or something, I dunno. I never really liked his look.

He's a step up. He survives two attacks but since he's holy Millenniummon just sort of destroys him. If you hadn't guessed by now, most if not all of the digimon in the Gaia Origin are holy or dark.

They really give the tamer too much credit. She's not the one with the holy laser cannon and sword.

I imagine she just sort of naps on Vikemon's back during the fights while her digimon just take care of it all.

Then this guy teleports in. What a weirdo.

:suicide: I hope you like this speech gimmick.

I dunno. It costs what, lets say 200 MP at most for each attack and my digimon all have 9999 MP... Plus I have three others if these guys run out somehow. No, yeah I'm pretty sure I could do it even if the next guys had a lot of HP.

It's kind of a shame they didn't actually design a unique room to do all this in. That would have been nice.

Also those jerks teleport out.

I really hate the way those two talk.

So ZeedMillenniummon... Remember how Apocalymon was really weak to light?

This was one hit of Omnimon's 3 hit attack. He had less than 9999 HP. Omnimon wrecked him.

He runs off to cry.

Not this poo poo again either. I am cutting most of their dialogue because it takes up twice as much space as anyone else thanks to this gimmick.

And this is why. You see, in Japan Omnimon's name is Omegamon. Alphamon begins, Omegamon ends. Makes sense. This would also be why he frequently gets paired up with Alphamon in other materials as well.

They're also both considered Royal Knights but that has nothing to do with this game, so moving on.

They're both big, cool dudes and reasonably tough.

I've always found Omnimon to be the stronger of the two. But that might just be personal bias.

Please stop talking.

We're almost done!

Spoiler: They're no different.

This is our next fight and our ultimate prize for all this. He's sassy.

He's also in denial.

:haw: Silently sassing the demon lord.

"you can back that attitude up!" And then we fight.

truth be told I've never been that fond of his design. Nothing against it, I just don't get what everyone else seems to love about it. :shrug:

PS: he's another dark type.

I like the idea that digimon always say other digimon's full names in this universe. It makes me laugh.

So Gallantmon here is a good guy. Like, by the books sort of goodguy. Basically Superman.

Which I guess makes Sora's team the Legion of Doom. Oh god what am I even typing out anymore.

You know, I actually think basic Gallantmon looks cooler than CrimsonMode. Gallantmont definitely looks like a rad dragon-themed knight. CrimsonMode just goes full-on final fantasy.

Anyway he's definitely the beefiest of the bunch, but he still falls to a good solid blackhole to the face. :crossarms: Digi-black hole.

And what's our prize for all this?

A clockmon shows up out of nowhere, hooray! Wait. What?

Well I'm confused.

If you're playing Dawn, then you find out Ophanimon was also one of them. :shrug:

So this clockmon has been stalking us.

The ending bit here is kind of underwhelming. I imagine it'd be kind of disappointing if you actually had to struggle through it.

:argh:

No there aren't. There are tamers like Ponch back there.

A powerful army of one.

I still don't get why that clockmon is here.

:geno:

Nowhere was anything promised. But this is where we get our reward.

He gives us his digital gallbladder.

I literally can't get stronger. You can't go past 999 in anything but HP and MP and those cap at 9999! Oh right, also we got BeelzemonBM scan data. I'll probably never use it.

Then they bugger off.

2cool4tamerskool

Remember that time you told Ponch and his crew to work, and instead they went to get menaced by a raremon? Yeah.

And with that, we're basically done with the game.

I say basically, because, well...

This. There's one more quest where you fight some hard enemies that are references to other games and some anime, except there's a problem with that. I can't do it. I've never been able to do it. You see, it requires you to use the wi-fi features at least once. When I originally got this game IRL, the DS was very picky about what kind of internet security it would work with so I couldn't get it to work with my internet. By the time I could get it to work, the community for this game was dead and I couldn't get anyone to trade with. Now, for anyone who still has this game IRL the service has ended. As for people using emulators? There's nothing. No codes to trigger the quest flag, nothing. It's a shame but this will be the end of progression for now. Instead there's a few last things I can show off.

First, this is our reward for beating the Gaia Origin. Honestly it kind of blows. It's just slightly better than a gold sword.

Next are a series of...lets call them hints.

Each group of NPCs you knew will tell you about one.

There's three total and they unlock after you complete the Gaia Origin.

In Magnet Mine, in the last room where we fought Prince Mamemon oh so long ago are these jerks. They're arguably the hardest enemies in the game. They have incredibly high stats an the highest exp yield of any non-boss enemy.

Moves that were wrecking the Gaia Origin do a lot less to these guys, and more over they're fast enough to get some attacks in and can even do damage! They're basically the closest thing to a super boss.

The new guy in Thriller Ruins is less than impressive. Aside from being an Ultimate level digimon, he's level 60 and as such gets wrecked.

Finally, in Proxy Island we have SaberLeomon. Probably the least interesting of the bunch since it's actually really easy to just get a leomon early on and evolve it. :shrug: this does, however, conclude Digimon World Dusk!

I'd like to thank everyone who read this. It wasn't the best LP, I'm not the funniest or most informative, but it sure as hell was a learning experience. If at least one person enjoyed it then I'd say it was a job well done.

So, for the final time thank you for reading and goodbye.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Congrats on beating the digicurse and not having a computer fire before finishing the game!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Ardeem posted:

Congrats on beating the digicurse and not having a computer fire before finishing the game!

Funny but irrelevant story about that: A while back I bought a power supply at Best Buy because mine suddenly up and died. Then it literally burst into flames within days. I brought the computer, complete with burnt and melted innards in so I could get a refund and they told me it was the motherboard. :downs:

Anyway! Thanks.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Have you tried just using the local wifi on some Desmume builds?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So, I think it would have been neater if, ya know, Clockmon HAD been watching you all game. Like just an NPC in an area you can't reach watching what you're doing... I dunno maybe it would have been too much effort to insert a sprite?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Tallgeese posted:

Have you tried just using the local wifi on some Desmume builds?

I am using Desmume and nothing works.

Onmi posted:

So, I think it would have been neater if, ya know, Clockmon HAD been watching you all game. Like just an NPC in an area you can't reach watching what you're doing... I dunno maybe it would have been too much effort to insert a sprite?

Would have made a lot more sense, yes.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
my overall feeling on this game is still that it feels ridiculously short with ridiculous measures to make it take forever. Take into example managing the digimon bank and farm. Would take... about a minute in Pokemon to organize your boxes. Takes about 30 minutes here. Also as for designs, I really like Beelzebumon's design in Xros Wars where he serves as a servant of God and not a Demon Lord.

He also had a :krad: debut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q8b_JySPiI

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I'm half torn between wanting to watch xros wars and not. Some bits of it look cool, but the rest of it looks really stupid.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Thanks for the LP!

Also I'll just pretend that, aside from certain digimon designs I like, there was never an anime series past the first one.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pretty sure that quest with the hosed up names was listing off the ones for the other version. Both versions have the same quests just with a few names changed.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Nuebot posted:

I'm half torn between wanting to watch xros wars and not. Some bits of it look cool, but the rest of it looks really stupid.

Xros Wars is a lot like Adventure for a new generation, including the sequel series which stripped everything likable about the original and was complete crap except for two moments. It's a bit slow going in the beginning when it's still finding out what the hell it even is, it has a few cool moments but otherwise is just a fairly alright series. And then the series hits mid ways and unleashes the crazy train

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwbRWKZNdAU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Me_xaH2G7k

Also the music was loving amazing. But it's Digimon, the music is ALWAYS loving amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r43OBUjuobw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxmE_uFL8DU

I really recommend watching Xros Wars and skipping Time Hunters.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jun 2, 2015

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nuebot posted:

I like that Digimon translations can never agree on a name translation.

Yatagaramon's sprite looks terrible, wow. It's like it is in a completely different style from the rest of the game, more fitting for the Ryo games than this one.

quote:

His cards were stolen from BlackWarGrowlmon? Piedmon sounds kind of like a jerk.

What. I don't even know what this means. Lets just go to a volcano and beat up some criminals.

The whole Lotusmon thing is hilarious. Yes, Piedmon, a Mega-level Digimon who is scary as gently caress got mugged by a Perfect-level, I can believe that. The "mean old" part was funny too. That said, considering that she says he "can't fight without his mic", I suspect that, like Goddramon was changed for Hououmon earlier, this was Etemon, not Piedmon. It would make a lot more of sense.

quote:

Oh so they were stolen by BowelMovementGrowlmon.

Translation error! The M here stands for "Megalo", the Japanese name of WarGrowlmon. Consistency is hard.

quote:

I like Shurimon. I don't know why, his design's just always been cool to me. Eaglemon is here too.

Crossmon is one of my favourite Digimon, but its sprite here clashes with the style of the game. Like Yatagaramon before, it seems more fitting for Ryo's games. Also I agree in liking Shurimon.

quote:

I don't know either, Omnimon. I kind of gave up on this game's script ages ago.

That's not Omegamon. That said, I can't help but agree with Apocalymon, what the hell's going on here?

quote:

This is our next fight and our ultimate prize for all this. He's sassy.

Beelzebumon quotes the philosophy that Impmon, not to mention the Devas, followed in Tamers here. I like references like those...when they make sense. The Blast Mode existed only because Impmon left that philosophy behind!
Needless to say, that he comes with Dukemon Crimson Mode is also a Tamers reference. Sleipmon appearing alongside Duftmon is likely a Savers reference itself, both being Royal Knights who had their first appearance in Savers.

quote:

First, this is our reward for beating the Gaia Origin. Honestly it kind of blows. It's just slightly better than a gold sword.

I'm going to guess that this is Dusk-only, since Balmung is ChaosDukemon's spear and, unsurprisingly, Dark-only. I'm going to guess that Dawn gives you Eden's Javelin instead, as it is Ophanimon's own weapon.

About Xros Wars, I agree with Onmi more or less. It does have some pretty unique things that can be hard to accept at first (DigiXros, evolution doesn't appear until mid-series, no levels (though Frontier already did this one), a leader that is actually not mentally retarded and is in fact a great strategist), but overall the series is good and fun. It's not top-tier great like Tamers or Savers, but it's far better than 02 or Frontier...until Hunters, which is probably the single worst Digimon arc in history and is better off ignored except for the crossover.

That said, I recommend the Xros Wars manga more than the anime. It has its own plot separate from the anime and far better pacing, it's really good.

With that said, thanks for the LP, Nuebot! More Digimon LPs being done is always a great thing and you save me the need to actually play this game. You did a great job too. It's pretty sad there's no way to get that last quest though.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Blaze Dragon posted:

About Xros Wars, I agree with Onmi more or less. It does have some pretty unique things that can be hard to accept at first (DigiXros, evolution doesn't appear until mid-series, no levels (though Frontier already did this one), a leader that is actually not mentally retarded and is in fact a great strategist), but overall the series is good and fun. It's not top-tier great like Tamers or Savers, but it's far better than 02 or Frontier...until Hunters, which is probably the single worst Digimon arc in history and is better off ignored except for the crossover.

That said, I recommend the Xros Wars manga more than the anime. It has its own plot separate from the anime and far better pacing, it's really good.

With that said, thanks for the LP, Nuebot! More Digimon LPs being done is always a great thing and you save me the need to actually play this game. You did a great job too. It's pretty sad there's no way to get that last quest though.

To be fair, 02 and Frontier are pretty low bars. That said, I think I may give it a chance sometime. The part of the dub I've seen at this point is pretty goofy, but I'll give it a go so long as I suppress the instinct to get annoyed about how levels are(n't) presented and the combining robot Shoutmon thing.

As for Hunters, is it really worse than Frontier and 02 where entire arcs were just the protagonists repeatedly losing to the same overpowered enemies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Geostomp posted:

To be fair, 02 and Frontier are pretty low bars. That said, I think I may give it a chance sometime. The part of the dub I've seen at this point is pretty goofy, but I'll give it a go so long as I suppress the instinct to get annoyed about how levels are(n't) presented and the combining robot Shoutmon thing.

As for Hunters, is it really worse than Frontier and 02 where entire arcs were just the protagonists repeatedly losing to the same overpowered enemies?

It's worse in that it's essentially all filler with no real pay off. Nothing happens in Time Hunters. There is no plot, no arc, it's just there, and then the ending happens.Some of the fights are okay but not as good as what came before, Tagiru isn't the worst protagonist but he's essentially replacing Taiki who was really good. Unique things in the first series become common place and... Overall it's just very much "This did not need to be here. The final episode of Xros Wars concluded the story perfectly fine, this is like someones fan fiction extension to the show."

• Locked thread