Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
Problem description:
For over a month now (roughly early April) I have had a problem with any played video (actual file like .mkv on my computer, not youtube and such) where after several minutes the video would freeze up while the audio went on. Trying to click on anything or even move the mouse would simply crash the program. The problem especially happens if I interact with the video in any way, such as stopping/starting, switching to another program, re-sizing, etc. This is happening across a range of video qualities, up to HD 1080p.

This is happening across all players (VLC, MPC, even WMP). I think the only thing that is stable is the Windows Video app. In case it matters I'm running a dual-monitor setup, 1080p @ 60Hz each.

Attempted fixes:
-Antivirus/spyware/malware scan using Windows Defender and Malwarebytes, even a rootkit tool.
-Re-installed my video players in both 32/64 bit versions.
-Ran as admin and even set user permissions to ensure I had full control.
-Uninstalled and re-installed my Nvidia drivers, twice now as they just updated this weekend.
-First re-installing then uninstalling the CCCP codec pack.

Recent changes:
This happened roughly around the time I installed the new Nvidia driver for GTA V a month ago but this is happening now still with an updated driver. Also, I can't remember but perhaps I have uninstalled a driver for the Intel integrated graphics on my mobo, could that be causing it?

Operating system:
Win 8.1 x64 Pro

System specs:
ASUS Sabertooth P67
i7 2600k @ 4.3Ghz
EVGA Geforce 780 GTX ACX
8Gb DDR3 RAM @ 1600Mhz
Samsung EVO 840 750Gb SSD
750W PSU

Haeleus fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
EDIT: I tried running the Windows troubleshooter and at the end it simply said VLC is incompatible.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Update to the latest Intel graphics drivers and see if that helps.

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

Alereon posted:

Update to the latest Intel graphics drivers and see if that helps.

Update, I'm no longer sure I actually had a driver for this installed. Instead, I had Intel Rapid Store Tech and Management Engine Components. Thing is, months ago I remembers when I uninstalled my Nvidia driver my resolution would stay at 1080p and looked fine. Now, when I uninstall my resolution goes down dramatically and it just reads as some sort of generic Microsoft display.

Also, no matter which pack I download from Intel it always says I do not have the appropriate components to initiate setup, so I've given up.

I'm getting desperate enough to consider re-installing Windows...

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Actually I'm a retard and forgot that P67 motherboards that didn't support the integrated graphics existed, so nevermind that, sorry! I'd suggest setting your CPU back to defaults first, and if that doesn't fix it, I'd try uninstalling your graphics drivers, removing the remnants with Display Driver Uninstaller, then installing the latest driver. One note that may be helpful is that VLC uses internal decoders that don't use hardware acceleration, so it shouldn't be dependent on any system codecs or drivers except for the final display. If you are having issues with VLC too that persist after running DDU and reinstalling drivers, I'd start basic hardware diagnostics including verifying that the system can complete at least one full pass of Memtest86+ without errors.

As a general suggestion I would remove CCCP as there's no need for or value in codec packs anymore, they just cause system problems. Also don't use VLC, because while it can have better compatibility because of the built-in codecs mentioned above, image quality and performance are both much worse than native video players. Media Player Classic - Home Cinema is the best media player application, and there's a lot of plug-ins and add-ons that can enhance quality and performance further.

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

Alereon posted:

Actually I'm a retard and forgot that P67 motherboards that didn't support the integrated graphics existed, so nevermind that, sorry! I'd suggest setting your CPU back to defaults first, and if that doesn't fix it, I'd try uninstalling your graphics drivers, removing the remnants with Display Driver Uninstaller, then installing the latest driver. One note that may be helpful is that VLC uses internal decoders that don't use hardware acceleration, so it shouldn't be dependent on any system codecs or drivers except for the final display. If you are having issues with VLC too that persist after running DDU and reinstalling drivers, I'd start basic hardware diagnostics including verifying that the system can complete at least one full pass of Memtest86+ without errors.

As a general suggestion I would remove CCCP as there's no need for or value in codec packs anymore, they just cause system problems. Also don't use VLC, because while it can have better compatibility because of the built-in codecs mentioned above, image quality and performance are both much worse than native video players. Media Player Classic - Home Cinema is the best media player application, and there's a lot of plug-ins and add-ons that can enhance quality and performance further.

Thanks for your response! Alright, the Intel integrated graphics not being supported makes sense.

I'm no longer using a codec pack and I've been trying to use the 64bit MPC player with similar results. The video runs for a few minutes before the video freezes. If I try clicking on either the program windows or its icon in the taskbar, it crashes and I get that Windows "ping" sound that usually comes with an error. I'll try disabling my OC (CPU through BIOS, GPU through Precision X) though I'm surprised that's the cause as I've kept these settings for at least a year now. As for drivers, I have used the Display Driver Uninstaller in safe mode before re-installing for three times now.

I'll post back here once I've run memtest.

Haeleus fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 20, 2015

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

Just finished a standard run of Memtest, no errors were found after one pass.

Also, does MPC have the option of saving a log file? Perhaps that would shed some light on the underlying issue.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
There's an option to enable logging in the MPC-HC advanced options, I have no idea what it logs or if it will be useful though. I really would suggest you remove your overclock before putting any more time into this, even if you think it isn't the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

I think I found the culprit, disabling Precision X resulted in all videos running smoothly! I've reinstalled it and I no longer get crashes so it was likely one of the settings that was messing things up.

Appreciate your help Alereon!

• Locked thread