Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
haha lol italian is such a funny language

get it together you dorks

*snork*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
gabagool

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
loving goons would think prosciutto is just sliced ham

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

Seriously why the gently caress are all goons such plebs when it comes to food

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Moridin920 posted:

Prosciutto is sliced heaven.

But pršut is still better.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

thathonkey posted:

Seriously why the gently caress are all goons such plebs when it comes to food

i know, its like the five guys thing... everyone is so down on it even though it is objectively the best burger you can have, what gives?

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
im the op, just flabbergasted at the concept of loan words

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
just drat, how does this basic and common feature of all languages work

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

hackbunny posted:

"antipasto" literally means "appetizers". what you're describing is some frankenstein monster of several italian appetizers, mainly tagliere di salumi and tagliere di formaggi - lit. "cured meats/cheeses cutting board", because it's traditionally served on a wooden cutting board (cheap places will just slap them on a plate). there are several styles of pickle appetizers too, like giardiniera, cipolle borettane grigliate sott'olio, antipasto pugliese, antipasto abruzzese... source: born raised and living in italy

it's like how every italian pizza place has an "american" pizza with a french fries topping, a little embarrassing for everyone involved

though I'm surprised at americano crossing the atlantic and becoming actually popular in america (well, more than it is in italy), considering it's at the same time a bastardization of both espresso and american coffee

yeah that's why i said it can have any of those things not that it's always a huge rear end platter of fuckin everything with no rhyme or reason to it

you asked how it was different from pickles which you obv already know so i'm not really sure what your point is tbh

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
however, i do agree that americanos are super lovely and have no idea why anyone would ever drink them

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

expected op to be from new jersey and speak maybe 3-4 words of italian tops

Skinny King Pimp posted:

however, i do agree that americanos are super lovely and have no idea why anyone would ever drink them

some places only have an espresso machine and don't serve brewed coffee so an americano is the best approximation.

other times the brewed coffee is lovely compared to the espresso, also an iced americano can be made faster than an iced coffee.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Otto von Ruthless posted:

im the op, just flabbergasted at the concept of loan words

have you ever noticed in english farm animal names are germanic, and names of meat are french?

swine (proto-germanic: swinan) vs pork (old french: porc)
chicken (proto-germanic: kiukinam) vs poultry (old french: pouletrie)
cow (proto-germanic: kwon) vs beef (old french: buef)

guess what language was spoken by the poor as poo poo farmers, and what language was spoken by the rich as gently caress meat eaters

you are claiming nobility by adopting italian words and that's so lol

e: that's self-deprecating irony, a mark of all chronic loser cultures

e2: I cheated on "swine", the germanic word comes from latin too :tipshat:

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 19, 2015

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Skinny King Pimp posted:

yeah that's why i said it can have any of those things not that it's always a huge rear end platter of fuckin everything with no rhyme or reason to it

you asked how it was different from pickles which you obv already know so i'm not really sure what your point is tbh

it's a little silly though because there are basically infinite "italian appetizers". bruschette/crostoni, prosciutto e melone, burrata, mozzarella di bufala, impepata di cozze, insalata di polpo... these are about the most common and are probably unknown to any american who uses the word "antipasto". they're nothing exceptional either, and that is the point, isn't it. totally undeserving of a pretentious word

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
yeah i get you, it's a general term but it's a little narrower than just appetizer. like you say antipasto and i'm not gonna expect some southwest egg rolls or jalapeno poppers, you know?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
OP YOU ARE UNCULTURED SWINE

oops didnt realise caps was on, but im leaving it i feel it conveys my emotional state rn

Docahedron
May 11, 2008

Im a special snowflake
Ice cream is heavy cream and milk and flavorings whipped up with air

Gelato has no air

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

hackbunny posted:

it's a little silly though because there are basically infinite "italian appetizers". bruschette/crostoni, prosciutto e melone, burrata, mozzarella di bufala, impepata di cozze, insalata di polpo... these are about the most common and are probably unknown to any american who uses the word "antipasto". they're nothing exceptional either, and that is the point, isn't it. totally undeserving of a pretentious word

the way i see it, antipasto is just a category of food during a meal, like primi, secondi, or contorni. is that right, more or less?

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
its cute that americans think they're italian or irish or whatever lol

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
fat pale american who thinks he's italian in a dumb accent prob new jersey "whats this pro-sew-teeyo poo poo its just ham"

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Do american even have cured ham or must it be always cooked due to ultra restrictive sanitary laws?

I love that we can throw cheese in a ditch, or put lard in a marble coffin, let it rot for a year and call it a delicacy.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i will never help an italian

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Tafferling posted:

Do american even have cured ham or must it be always cooked due to ultra restrictive sanitary laws?

I love that we can throw cheese in a ditch, or put lard in a marble coffin, let it rot for a year and call it a delicacy.

yeah we got virginia style hams where you salt cure it for a while, smoke it, then age it so they're not actually fully cooked. it's not like you can't serve prosciutto or smoked salmon or anything else that's cured/smoked and not actually cooked.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

as an italian american I can help you, op, you see it all *has heart attack/gets arrested mid sentence*

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

Tafferling posted:

yes we have cured ham. Prosciutto, for example.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

fat pale american who thinks he's italian in a dumb accent prob new jersey "whats this pro-sew-teeyo poo poo its just ham"

i think this guy is an actual italian from italy though which is weird and funny

gabagool

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if we extradite amanda knox to italy I'm gonna be made at you loving iti's I tell you what

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
go back to your boot, immigrant

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

haha lol italian is such a funny language

get it together you dorks

*snork*

it's one of the easiest languages to read and pronounce actually!

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Gatekeeper posted:

i think this guy is an actual italian from italy though which is weird and funny

it's weird seeing mundane things from your everyday life taken out of context, moved to another culture and becoming exotic and pretentious

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

hackbunny posted:

it's weird seeing mundane things from your everyday life taken out of context, moved to another culture and becoming exotic and pretentious

At least our expats are helping us, like the Italian guy who made an artistic book on the false friend figa (oval office) and fika (coffee in some barbaric northern country).

http://www.lafigaproject.com/ mildly :nws: or :nsw:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

holy poo poo lol

"What does La Figa mean in Italian? posted:

The name is a little bit controversial. In Italian, la fica refers to a fruit: the fig. La figa refers to a beautiful, sexy woman. So che bella figa means “what a lovely woman!” However, la figa is also slang for a woman''s vagina. But I have never believed (as some Italians do) that this is a derogatory term – or that it would be a problem for my new book’s (or my catering business''s) name.

In my opinion, bella figa is the highest compliment a man can give a woman. A lot of Italian men feel this way too. Many women are proud to hear the words bella figa, because a man usually speaks them only when he finds a woman truly attractive. While not everyone agrees, the female genitalia connotation of la figa is a positive thing. Vaginas are part of the birth process; they provide amazing sexual pleasure; and many people find them pretty and fascinating. They deserve a good name. La figa is not derogatory toward women – it celebrates them.

a national hero :italy: him and Renato both

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

hackbunny posted:

You are totally wrong about there being any kind of significant pretentious connotation with these words to Americans.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
and for fucks sake https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loanword#Loanword_transmission_patterns

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006
That's Gravy on my Macaroni, you ingorant fool.

*Jumps into Camaro, golden lightening bolt earrings glinting in the sun.*

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Dirty Sanchez posted:

That's Gravy on my Macaroni, you ingorant fool.

*Jumps into Camaro, golden lightening bolt earrings glinting in the sun.*

http://youtu.be/NV6w2gfLDZ8

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Otto von Ruthless posted:

You are totally wrong about there being any kind of significant pretentious connotation with these words to Americans.

what are your feelings re. bidets

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

limaCAT posted:

stop reading jezebel,

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

i like the episode of the sopranos where tony eats the capicola ham or whatever the gently caress it is, he keeps calling it galbagool and everyone he talks to knows what that means, even though i dont know what it is, i think its some kind of ham

and he and his therapist are discussing the meaning of the galbagool

it turns out it gave him a panic attack due to a repressed memory of his father chopping some dude's hand off, then that same night his dad gave a stolen roast to his mother, who was chopping it up with a cleaver like the one used to chop the guy's hand

good episode, galbagool boogaloo i think its called

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

women ruin everything :(

first yogurt, now this

• Locked thread