Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tyler274
Jul 1, 2014
I'm interested if anyone who has any other recommended literature for learning about the Soviet Union, its foundations, and its end.

I have a moderate background in history, and am familiar with most of the terms, but my teacher is a bit...incompetent, and can't really give me much in the way of literature that's not an academic paper.

Amazon page for book: http://www.amazon.com/Lenins-Tomb-Last-Soviet-Empire/dp/0679751254
Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenin%27s_Tomb:_The_Last_Days_of_the_Soviet_Empire

And no, I'm not trying to get out of reading the book for the class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
If you want to get seriously deep into the Great Purge and the life and times of the people who had to endure it, you can't go wrong with Moscow, 1937.

It examine Moscow's urban life and culture under the shadow of the Great Terror, using some sources that were previously not available in English (the book was originally published in German), notably the Moscow social directory. To put it in context, that directory stopped being published after 1937 because nearly everyone in it had been killed by Stalin's purges. It's a narrow slice of history, but an incredibly important one rendered at very high resolution.

tyler274
Jul 1, 2014

Kestral posted:

If you want to get seriously deep into the Great Purge and the life and times of the people who had to endure it, you can't go wrong with Moscow, 1937.

It examine Moscow's urban life and culture under the shadow of the Great Terror, using some sources that were previously not available in English (the book was originally published in German), notably the Moscow social directory. To put it in context, that directory stopped being published after 1937 because nearly everyone in it had been killed by Stalin's purges. It's a narrow slice of history, but an incredibly important one rendered at very high resolution.

Sounds good, the Great Purge and the killings during the earlier Russian Civil War are events I found overlooked in my textbooks, usually more focus was placed on the famines and failures of Stalin's policies with some care taken to how his purges weakened Russia militarily. I actually never stopped to think about the sheer number of people in regular city life that might have been killed or fled from the purges in Moscow itself.

• Locked thread