Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
EDIT: Finished the layout/graphics on the PokePong document, plus consolidated the multiple documents into one, so it's all ready to print and play with just one click.

EDIT2: Final PokePong card designs printed. Think they look pretty snazzy compared to the rough old hand-drawn ones!

Downloadable goodies at the end. Point here is to make themed beer pong games anyone can print out and easily play at parties with little to no learning/teaching curve. Since my friends and I have had a lot of fun with these, figured I'd share. Also seeking input and new ideas. Read on.

A while back a friend had a themed party with 90s stuff. Thinking back to my 90s childhood, Pokemon seemed like the thing I remembered most (apparently in error... Pokemon had only just come out in 1999. Oh well). So I figured, since beer pong was inevitably going to be a central fixture in this party, I should make up a simple variant with a nostalgic Pokemon twist.

Essentially each cup has a card attached with a Pokemon on the front. When the cup gets sunk, you do what's on the back of the card before drinking. Firebreathing Charizard makes you take a hot sauce shot, Rhyhorn's headbutt makes you crush a beer can on your forehead, Articuno puts ice in your underwear, Vileplume lets you sprinkle spices in an opponent's drink, etc.

The game was a huge hit with my dumb drunk idiot friends and has become increasingly elaborate. Now each team gets random Trainer cards which can be played for bonuses (moving opponent's cups, pouring some of your cups into theirs, swapping Pokemon cards on your cups, etc). Lots of the Pokemon also give you movement tricks, so you don’t have the same boring triangle all game. Since I finally made a digital document with the cards instead of having to hand-draw them all, figured I would make it available to goons for tweaking and input.

Also spent too much time making my game set, since cups kept getting smashed and thrown out between games and I wanted to stop having to buy new ones:

This summer I'm throwing a thing at my cabin involving a waterpark and drive-in theater Jurassic World viewing. Being a big old Jurassic Park nut, this required something special. After the success of PokePong, I figured it was high time that Jurassic Pong became a thing.

(Those are tranquilizer darts drawn on the pong balls. No dinosaurs are ever hurt in Jurassic Pong.)

Decided that each team should have to shoot their way through successive dinosaur paddocks to be the first to reach the helicopter and escape. Each dino paddock has different cup arrangements and rules. You can also shoot Ammo and Medikit cups for bonuses. To make the game easy, each team puts their stacked signs on their table side with the dinosaur facing the opponent and the rules for that dinosaur paddock on the back. When the opponent moves on to the next paddock, just move the top sign to the bottom to reveal the new dinosaur and its rules.

Card fronts:

Card backs:

The one and only test game I've played so far lacked a certain element of terror, so letting the dinosaurs hurt the players by "Mauling" was introduced. If a team fucks up too much, they can be "Mauled" by the dinosaurs - they need a tie a red bandana around an extremity and can't use it unless their team removes it by sinking a Medikit cup. If a player loses three extremities, they're dead and their teammate has to go on alone. This makes the Raptor paddock particularly harrowing, since Raptor cups run towards your table edge and if they reach it you get mauled. I figure any game where you get to drink beer standing on one mauled leg yelling "Shoot her! Shoooot herr!!!!!" while Raptor cups run at you has to be good.

WHAT I NEED FROM YOU

DOWNLOAD THE GAME DOCUMENTS HERE

- Are the directions clear? What’s confusing/ambiguous (especially with Jurassic Pong)?

- Do the mechanics work? Are Jurassic Pong players getting mauled to death too quickly (or slowly)? Are PokePong players sick of constantly shuffling cups around, or is it good?

- For PokePong, are there too many “take a (liquor) shot” cards? Are your friends pretty much done after one game?

- What new PokePong cards should be made? Hit me with your most fun new ideas.

- Is it fun? Do you/your friends enjoy playing?

TIPS AND ETC

- Cups don’t need to be different colors, but I think it looks better and makes it easier for Jurassic Pong when the Raptors break into the enemy paddock (otherwise it can get confusing).

- Print the PokePong cards double-sided and cut them out.

- If anyone isn’t comfortable with a PokePong card after reading it, just discard it and draw a new one. Some of them require kissing a person, slapping, licking, swapping clothing, etc. My friends are all down with this stuff (usually very, very down – PokePong has led to some interesting situations), but it should go without saying that if a person ever expresses reluctance with something, it should be dropped immediately and without question.

- My personal cards are all laminated because they inevitably get covered in beer and I don’t want to keep printing new ones every party. This of course isn’t necessary.

- If there’s any rules disputes, have either the party host or person who brought the cards decide. I also don't want this thread to devolve into arguments about whether a Jigglypuff cup is balanced against a Dragonite cup or whatever. Just make a call, drink some beer, and move on.

- As always with beer pong, sometimes it’s way better to fill all the cups with water and just drink from your good bottled beer when a cup is made instead of feeling obligated to guzzle lukewarm poo poo beer from plastic cups.

So that's it - let me know if yo plan on trying one or both of these out, and please post trip reports. I especially want to hear about your mangled body getting to the chopper after your teammate is devoured by the Big Rex, or your accurate Dilophosaurs spitting opponents to death, or your terrifying foray into the Raptor paddock where you just can't seem to put them down.

If PokePong sends you or one of your friends to the hospital, share that story too please.

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
This is ridiculous and I love everything about it.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

SRM posted:

This is ridiculous and I love everything about it.
Please print one and give a try sometime! The PokePong one has the margins kind of screwy on the cards and needs a revision (just tried printing it double-sided), but it's still useable. Jurassic Pong should be 100% good to go.

Heading off to a party now, PokePong in tow upon request. Happy Memorial Day Weekend, everyone!

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Oh my god dude. I'll be up to playtest as soon as I quit my job.

Edit: am I misunderstanding Victreebel or is it just really boring?

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 23, 2015

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
When you hit Victreebel, you immediately lose one of your own cards of the opponent's choice. Last night, for example, my team was avoiding hitting the Victreebel cup until our own cards we wanted to play to mess up the opponents were played - otherwise the opponent would choose them to swallow whole and we'd never get to use their effects. Victreebell's a good one to put in the center or front point of your triangle early on so the opponent's more likely to hit it, letting you swallow a threatening enemy card ASAP.

Hope you get to try it!

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

BuffaloChicken posted:

When you hit Victreebel, you immediately lose one of your own cards of the opponent's choice. Last night, for example, my team was avoiding hitting the Victreebel cup until our own cards we wanted to play to mess up the opponents were played - otherwise the opponent would choose them to swallow whole and we'd never get to use their effects. Victreebell's a good one to put in the center or front point of your triangle early on so the opponent's more likely to hit it, letting you swallow a threatening enemy card ASAP.

Hope you get to try it!

The person taking the card should have to store it in his mouth and return it as soon as he can't stand it anymore, imo.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Sulecrist posted:

The person taking the card should have to store it in his mouth and return it as soon as he can't stand it anymore, imo.
Totally unsanitary and now completely up for consideration.

The original PokePong document wasn't very attractive, so I recently uploaded the finalized document with pretty formatting. You can download the PDF if you're just going to print, or the Word version if you want to make your own (you might have to download the font so the formatting isn't messed up).

The Jurassic Pong document also looks like it was an older version which didn't have rules for mauling, which is half the fun, so I updated that too. Check it out again if you have the older version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Sorry for the double-post, but wanted to throw out that the test cards are printed (and laminated, but that's totally optional). Real happy with how they came out.

If you're interested, just print double-sided and cut out. Now that the materials are all done I probably won't be posting here again unless somebody tries the games and has ideas for thing to tweak or add, but I do hope that someone tries them and has a good time!

...although my dumb brain has already moved onto toying with the idea of Alien vs. Predapong and how that would work. Would love to try balancing an asymmetrical game (one on the Predator team vs. multiple players on the Alien team), but I also like the idea of rows of cups as stat or health bars that you have to hit to affect the other team.

Ideas always welcome!

• Locked thread