Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Zombies' Downfall posted:

1) There isn't a single Ultima or Wizardry game, in addition to Might & Magic, so oldschool PC RPGs got poo poo on hard

There's only one Zelda there too. It's the product of the list being based on people's top 10. It makes the summary of 100 titles wildly inaccurate in relation to what people would normally mention in a list that long, since there'll be gaping holes where people would put their number 11th to 100th top games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Quest 64 is the best RPG. Just play that ten times.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Donnerberg posted:

There's only one Zelda there too. It's the product of the list being based on people's top 10. It makes the summary of 100 titles wildly inaccurate in relation to what people would normally mention in a list that long, since there'll be gaping holes where people would put their number 11th to 100th top games.

What even is an RPG though, Zelda doesn't really fit the mold. Then again, Seiken Densetsu games, Dark Souls, and many other things on the list don't either.

My top 10 would be

1) Final Fantasy VI
2) Dragon Quest III
3) Madara 2
4) Lunar: Eternal Blue
5) Star Ocean 2
6) Lufia/Espolis Denki 2
7) Skyrim
8) Xenoblade Chronicles
9) Chrono Trigger
10) Dragon Quest VII

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Nuebot posted:

Quest 64 is the best RPG. Just play that ten times.

You joke, but I actually rented this game multiple times and eventually beat it. Never really learned how to play it either, I just beat the poo poo out of every thing with my stick. Eventually, you get a spell that basically makes you immune to bosses.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Some idiot comes in with a terribly formatted post asking for something really stupid so he can do something even stupider and you all jump all over yourselves to do it. Awesome!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Wendell posted:

Some idiot comes in with a terribly formatted post asking for something really stupid so he can do something even stupider and you all jump all over yourselves to do it. Awesome!

All in a day's work. :patriot:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Wendell posted:

Yeah.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Donnerberg posted:

Yeah, even so I was actually surprised not to see Ultima 7 or UO on the list, or Ocarina since LTTP made it

Wendell posted:

Yeah I'll never get back the combined total of 10 minutes or w/e that I spent thinking about this

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Wendell posted:

It taught me that most goons have awful taste, so I for one am glad we did.

Rad Shadow
Sep 30, 2009
Hey, this isn't just my terribly created ranking.

This is everyones that handed me out a list.

A collective effort of over 350 people. And that's how they (for the most part) ranked the games.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Wendell posted:

It's obviously a self-serving thing, thinking about this stuff and making lists can be fun.

Making the results a quiz is super dumb though.

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!
I'm actually playing KOTOR II with the restored content modification and it's quite good. Very dark and probably better than the original. I was blinded by nostalgia from the first one,, you guys were right.

The game still seems a bit incomplete without mods though. If any of you haven't given KOTOR2 with the restored content modification a try, do it. It's awesome. I would probably put it at #8 on my list or something like that.

And to conclude my post, I got totally pwnt in this thread, acted like a child, and you guys were right. The character development and progression is also much better. Obsidian really did well. It sucks that Lucasarts hosed them so hard in the end, but now we don't have to worry about that.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

deus ex
link to the past
final fantasy 8
planescape torment
morrowind
alpha protocol
sunless sea
witcher 2 & 3
the modern fallouts
kotor 1

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Rad Shadow posted:

Hey, this isn't just my terribly created ranking.

This is everyones that handed me out a list.

A collective effort of over 350 people. And that's how they (for the most part) ranked the games.

It would be interesting to see a graph of what games make people more likely to mention another game, or the correlation between placing a game on your list and if another will appear.

That Jerk Steve
Oct 18, 2011
VtM: Bloodlines
FF VII (IX is technically the best FF, but VII is my personal fav)
Persona 4
New Vegas
Xenogears (at least the first disc)
Dragon Quest VIII
Kotor II
Morrowind
Legend of Dragoon
Lunar 2

Honorable mentions to FF: Tactics, Valkyrie Profile, and Chrono Trigger

I have bad taste in games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keymaster02
Mar 11, 2014

I had sex with a 32-year old at 16. SA is run by SJWs. Liking 16-year olds is not pedophilia. I hate your pronoun. I like young boys. I donate to the NAACP and probably NAMBLA too.
Ten votes for Baldur's gate 2 shadows of amn. With ToB you could play the game 250 hours and not do every quest. To this day I am still blown away by that game, and I'm doubting I will ever see anything like it.

Pillars of Eternity sucks and I'm sorry I backed it. Only because they jacked up their targeted specs after the kickstarter ended

• Locked thread