Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

killmeimmafailure posted:

Radiation needs to be transmitted via vector like dust.

E: not a vector, I guess because it's inanimate

The vast, overwhelming majority of radiation-associated deaths are due to radiation direct from the sun (ultraviolet). Hey! There's a set of serious diseases that affects Australians more than others that the person before was looking for, skin cancers. But those are genuine conditions and so are off-topic, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i think i would enjoy moving to oz

surfing and road cycling and working at least in a cafe making a living wage

what a life

i hate everything
Oct 15, 2010
Nice dog with tit eyes av op human being lol

i hate everything
Oct 15, 2010
now you have ownd syndrome

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

IronClaymore posted:

The vast, overwhelming majority of radiation-associated deaths are due to radiation direct from the sun (ultraviolet). Hey! There's a set of serious diseases that affects Australians more than others that the person before was looking for, skin cancers. But those are genuine conditions and so are off-topic, sorry.

Word that's gamma rays, I believe. I'm talking fallout a la nuclear reactors. It doesn't work like in videogames where you get sick as you get nearer. The radioactive isotopes need to be carried in said "fallout"

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
radiation poisoning? just drink a shitload of vodka

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

radiation poisoning? just drink a shitload of vodka

Da

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Radiation needs to be transmitted via vector like dust.

E: not a vector, I guess because it's inanimate

no it doesn't you tremendous idiot

Word that's gamma rays, I believe. I'm talking fallout a la nuclear reactors. It doesn't work like in videogames where you get sick as you get nearer

you literally don't know what any of the words you're using mean

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

End Of Worlds posted:

gamma is not the only form of radiation idiot

all of this is wrong

radiation intensity decreases with the inverse square of the distance. the closer you are to the source, the more radiation you are receiving.

fallout is specifically radioactive material spat into the atmosphere. it is not in itself a type of radiation. rather, the isotopes you keep harping on about are emitting radiation (gamma, alpha, beta...)

Beta waves are reflected from your skin fag

killmeimmafailure fucked around with this message at 07:47 on May 21, 2015

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

I'm pretty sure it does in the case of nuclear bombs and poo poo. I'm not talking about the sun or other forms of gamma and forms of energy that pass through your skin and gently caress with genetic material.

Radioactive isotopes are matter and therefore need to be transmitted in the air as dust

it also does a lot mor ethan gently caress with your genes. if you die of radiation poisoning it's probably because of gamma exposure, not alpha or beta

Word that's gamma rays, I believe. I'm talking fallout a la nuclear reactors. It doesn't work like in videogames where you get sick as you get nearer. The radioactive isotopes need to be carried in said "fallout"

all of this is wrong

radiation intensity decreases with the inverse square of the distance. the closer you are to the source, the more radiation you are receiving. you literally do get sicker as you get nearer. idiot.

fallout is specifically radioactive material spat into the atmosphere. it is not in itself a type of radiation. rather, the isotopes you keep harping on about are emitting radiation (gamma, alpha, beta...)

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Beta waves are reflected from your skin fag

lmao "beta waves"

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

End Of Worlds posted:

it also does a lot mor ethan gently caress with your genes. if you die of radiation poisoning it's probably because of gamma exposure, not alpha or beta

all of this is wrong

radiation intensity decreases with the inverse square of the distance. the closer you are to the source, the more radiation you are receiving.

My understanding is that beta waves are reflected in your skin.

Gamma waves are the dangerous ones, no?

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

beta alpha radiation is a helium nucleus nerd

edit: Perhaps it is I who is the nerd

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
it's a common vulgar, animalistic psychological defense mechanism to not believe people if they say they're ill and don't look ill. similarly there is an urge to get all gay and retarded with someone if they look ill (this includes losing or gaining weight) resulting in a rational cause for ill people to try to avoid looking ill in public

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

there's no such thing as a beta wave you loving idiot

there are beta particles, which are not reflected by your skin:

quote:

Beta radiation can penetrate human skin to the "germinal layer," where new skin cells are produced. If beta-emitting contaminants are allowed to remain on the skin for a prolonged period of time, they may cause skin injury.

and there are alpha particles, which yes can be stopped by the upper layer of your skin but can be extremely harmful if you eat them

poo poo dude stop posting and look some of this up on wikipedia

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Boomstick Quaid posted:

beta alpha radiation is a helium nucleus nerd

edit: Perhaps it is I who is the nerd

Cool, I don't know the technical stuff behind it. I just read a thing about nuclear safety one time.

E: but I don't get to be told what a fucktard I am on Wikipedia

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
Walking corpse syndrome is the superior syndrome
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotard_delusion

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Cool, I don't know the technical stuff behind it. I just read a thing about nuclear safety one time.

your reading comprehension sucks dude

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

End Of Worlds posted:

your reading comprehension sucks dude

Yeah sorry I gently caress up the wave particle duality sometimes

E: I'm not a physicist, but if you look at risk assessments, my understanding is that nuclear fallout is overblown in terms of the types of long term affects it has. gently caress, doesnt your cell phone radiate? Brain tumors aren't on the rise, I don't think.

killmeimmafailure fucked around with this message at 08:04 on May 21, 2015

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Nooner posted:

What is the best way to cook a pork chop? I tried it tonight on medium heat on the stove but it was really thick so the outside was getting a little too black on both sides and it was still kinda rare in the middle when I took it off so I had to cut it up into smaller pieces and throw it back on

It still tasted good but didn't look restaurant quality ):

finish it in the oven you idiot jesus christ some people

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

RideTheSpiral posted:

finish it in the oven you idiot jesus christ some people

Oven pork is best pork.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Hitlers Gay Syndrome

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
Syndrome is definitely a word misused by media retards though. In the sense of <insert babyish description of symptoms> syndrome instead of the proper name for the condition. "Locked in syndrome" for example

I once googled "broken brain syndrome" just to see if someone would use such a stupid phrase to describe something and sure enough it's the title of a book by some new age gently caress

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
kids with sudden infant death syndrome are faking it

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

kids with sudden infant death syndrome are faking it

what kind of beta fag just drops dead as an infant

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
Goons getting to the bottom of the issue, as usual

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Yeah sorry I gently caress up the wave particle duality sometimes

E: I'm not a physicist, but if you look at risk assessments, my understanding is that nuclear fallout is overblown in terms of the types of long term affects it has. gently caress, doesnt your cell phone radiate? Brain tumors aren't on the rise, I don't think.

It's not even remotely overblown. It's some of the nastiest poo poo that can ever happen to the human body.

The part that's overblown is it's prevalence and your chance of actually being exposed to a,radiactive source like that. Also, nuclear reactors designed 60 years ago are not the safest, where new reactors are safer than a beach ball but nobody allow them to be built because RADIATION.

It's like if we banned all new car designs and grandfathered in 1000 model t's and rode horses instead because horses can't pour gasoline on you and burn you to death.

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

get up, come on,
get down with the syndrome

OOOOHHHWAH WAH WHA WAH

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
For real though anyone whose not physically and mentally healthy and down to gently caress needs to fix that poo poo or get out of my car

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

vug posted:

For real though anyone whose not physically and mentally healthy and downs, to gently caress needs to fix that poo poo or get out of my car

Lol I see what you did there.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
My friends sister had Princess Bitchface Syndrome. Its real and very annoying.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

latvian syndrome lol

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

Dead Gay Romans posted:

Listen you rubes I'm a real life doctor and all of your syndromes are complete bullshit.

Please do the responsible thing and kill yourselves.

I'm a real life boss doctor and I'll have you fired

Dead Gay Romans
Mar 19, 2015

Pitbull enthusiast

Tamerlame posted:

I'm a real life boss doctor and I'll have you fired

pffft more like Tamer-LAME

wait poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There's a lot of things that are diagnoses by exclusion, which means if they can't find anything specifically wrong they diagnose you with that.

IBS is one of those; if you have digestion/stomach issues but they can't figure out why they eventually just go 'well it's IBS sorry.'

I think that definitely people who are hypochondriacs or have some mental issues end up getting those diagnoses which can mar the public perception of them but afaik it doesn't automatically mean that those diseases aren't real. I know someone that has an IBS diagnosis because they couldn't find anything wrong with her (although they haven't done any in depth scans or whatever of her guts yet) but I can definitely hear her stomach making crazy alien chestburster noises when she eats foods that trigger it.

• Locked thread