Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Whoàaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

This ship looks very Powerful.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oshii himself has said that he's not really sure what Angel's Egg is about, which sums the movie up pretty well for me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The soundtrack and backgrounds are loving amazing, I seriously love this film.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

i started the download too late so i guess i'll watch this right after you guys finish. oh well.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Don't play a 'spot the Christian imagery' drinking game with this film, you'll die.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The insect/crustacean tanks are really cool

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The shadow and hair animation is amazing.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love how eerie and dreamlike everything is, it really fits Amano's artwork.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

I love how eerie and dreamlike everything is, it really fits Amano's artwork.

Yeah, I'm usually disappointed in how Amano's artwork is handled by others, but they kept the style exactly and have also animated it beautifully.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Angel's Egg has probably my favourite apocalyptic imagery, no explosions or wastelands, just an empty, forgotten world sinking beneath the water.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I wasn't worried about really figuring anything out, so at the end I didn't take much away. It was a very beautiful movie with a soundtrack I'm definitely going to get ahold of. Maybe a bit long, or that some shots just lingered forever with no discernible purpose.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Angel's Egg has probably my favourite apocalyptic imagery, no explosions or wastelands, just an empty, forgotten world sinking beneath the water.

Those backgrounds really go a long way. They're fantastic.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

That's an insane ship.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I will have to gather my full thoughts on both movies later, but for now I am hella exhausted, so I'm gonna crash.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

From what I remember from various interviews with Oshii, Angel's Egg was written during a time when he was having a crisis of faith about his Christian upbringing, which is pretty much the central theme of the movie. Do you have faith that there is something inside the egg or do you break it open to find out but risk destroying it in the process?

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

gently caress, I slept through this :negative:

Oh well, I'll catch up somewhere this week or something.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, I had a long day and even though Angel Egg was a beautiful movie I just couldn't keep my eyes open and fell asleep. I did just finish it now though.

Why did he smash the egg? :confused: I get the impression he realized it was the only thing keeping the little girl going and he wanted her to move on. It seems like he new she'd end up on that ship.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Yeah, I had a long day and even though Angel Egg was a beautiful movie I just couldn't keep my eyes open and fell asleep. I did just finish it now though.

Why did he smash the egg? :confused: I get the impression he realized it was the only thing keeping the little girl going and he wanted her to move on. It seems like he new she'd end up on that ship.

Sakurazuka posted earlier that Oshii was working on the film during a crisis of faith. The dude breaks it because he wants to know what's inside, rather than anything malicious.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Ah that makes sense.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Watched Aim for the Ace. I liked seeing the old 70's animation, but it had that familiar felling of a full series being summarized.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Why the long face?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Why the long face?

Anyway, anyone want to watch something tomorrow? There's got to be something streaming.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I probably won't be around tomorrow but if folks want to set something up then feel free to go hog wild.

dotJPG posted:

Watched Aim for the Ace. I liked seeing the old 70's animation, but it had that familiar felling of a full series being summarized.

Yeah, it was my first time seeing it and while I enjoyed it I definitely had the impression I was missing out on a bunch of characterization.

I do miss that sort of treatment though, specifically how the characters are much more detailed than in the tv series. With shorter shows being the norm you rarely see any compilations that have 100% new animation and the ones that do tend to have designs consistent with their respective tv shows.

Dezaki's a real underrated director despite working on some rather important shows, and regardless of the writing quality the movie wound up being a perfect showcase of his style. There's a lot of cost saving tricks but they're done with such elegance that it doesn't feel cheap.

Some day I'll probably check out the tv show and find out what they had to take out of the movie. It's a pretty basic story but it's solid enough and heck, it being the basis for the early parts of Gunbuster is more than enough reason for me to look into more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Just closin' the thread since after going a few weeks without posts it's safe to assume all the discussion is over!

Props to everyone who participated.

• Locked thread