Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
the whole "religion" is interesting to me and it sure is funny to make fun of it but I've never met one. I personally know a Jew, Muslim, Christian AND an Athiest but never met a follower of Xenu. my only experience with the religion was reading about it, laughing at it and getting "smoked" (made to do PT until you puke) in bootcamp because I asked why I couldn't put it on my dog tag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
Recruiters on the street in LA, but never like an actual person who was some kind of part of my life

I saw Dianetics on my sad uncles bookshelf once, but I don't think he ever actually joined.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

i dont think scientologists are really supposed to interact much with non-scientologists

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

TEAYCHES posted:

i dont think scientologists are really supposed to interact much with non-scientologists

this is the answer op

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol

TEAYCHES posted:

Then how are they supposed to recruit ?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
It's basically a real estate holding company with shaky tax exempt status at this point. There are few members.

SADDLE ME UP
Dec 2, 2014
No but I know a guy who would definitely be the type to get recruited. He's way into pyramid schemes and "manifesting" things and he does a ton of ketamine and is generally a hugely impressionable fucktard. I loving hate him.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
i worked for three scientologists at a pizzeria, one guy was pretty normal but the other two (his wife's brothers) were weird as gently caress. one was a retired cop who was super stoked about his burgeoning acting career of being a cop extra on :doinkdoink: and would send anti-psychiatric pamphlets out with delivery orders for residents of the nearby psych hospital. his brother was a giant terrifying toddler who constantly smashed plates and berated us by screaming "don't be three feet behind your head!"

i miss that job every day

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Gatekeeper posted:

i worked for three scientologists at a pizzeria, one guy was pretty normal but the other two (his wife's brothers) were weird as gently caress. one was a retired cop who was super stoked about his burgeoning acting career of being a cop extra on :doinkdoink: and would send anti-psychiatric pamphlets out with delivery orders for residents of the nearby psych hospital. his brother was a giant terrifying toddler who constantly smashed plates and berated us by screaming "don't be three feet behind your head!"

i miss that job every day

lol yikes

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
they once tried this "food for the body, food for the mind" promotion: large pie, 2 liter, dozen garlic knots, copy of dianetics for $19.99 but it scared off enough people for them to end it in under a week lol

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

mdm posted:

lol yikes

lol it was funny as gently caress, he used to just give handfuls of the pamphlets to the drivers when they were leaving for a delivery to the hospital but he found out the drivers were tossing them in the dumpster before they left so he insisted on taking every delivery to the hospital himself hahaha just passin out pamphlets about getting raped by your psychiatrist to all these people in gowns as he walked down the hallway of a psychiatric hospital to bring some guy his chicken parm

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

yeah if you live near or in LA you see 'em everywhere. The LA County Fair has free "Personality" tests they do with their E-meters.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i had dinner with a friend and his scientologist dad and stepmom.

and i took a tour of a scientologist church out of sheer baffling curiosity and talked to some people there.

they all seemed pretty normal OP

though there was one guy at the church who i guess hung out there who was like "let me ask you some questions ..." in a kind of paranoid-type kind of way.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Gatekeeper posted:

lol it was funny as gently caress, he used to just give handfuls of the pamphlets to the drivers when they were leaving for a delivery to the hospital but he found out the drivers were tossing them in the dumpster before they left so he insisted on taking every delivery to the hospital himself hahaha just passin out pamphlets about getting raped by your psychiatrist to all these people in gowns as he walked down the hallway of a psychiatric hospital to bring some guy his chicken parm

Giving delusional people pamplets like that is a victim's attorney's wet dream, did he have any lawyer friends? I hope this was a scheme

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
Tell us more about your military experience, OP. :allears:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
one time i was fishing on a boat and a whale hit and capsized it

i thought all was lost... just clinging to the wreckage, when the fog set in. but then suddenly a brilliant white ship sliced through the fog ... it was the SEA ORG. they pulled me on board and saved my life. and i'll always thank l. ron hubbard for saving my life that day.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

oh yeah and there is a museum out here that shows you the terrors of "psychologyyyyyy" and it shows people getting electroshocked and stuff and only at the end does it mention anything about Scientology.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

There's no such thing as a good scientologist. There is just varying degrees of bad.

Send them all to the ovens and skip the gas.

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

When Tom Cruise hooks up with guys online

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

While they recruit a bit on the street with e-meter measurements or whatever, they mostly target one type of person: rich and stupid. Hence the celebrities. That sorta comes off that I think all celebrities are stupid, which isn't true, but there's a large amount of rich and stupid in those ranks.

Then they have parties hosted by their rich stupid celebs and then they have spokespeople show up and try to convert the partygoers

that's mostly how it's done

enjoy!

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Yeap, I sold some PC gear to one. A ginger who looked like verminous scum from captain planet but wearing a badly fitting suit and tie. No invoice, cash only no records and wanted a discount, gently caress you.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
They used to be all over the place trying to recruit people in Houston until they got run out of Texas.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Helpimscared posted:

When Tom Cruise hooks up with guys online

That's how they snared John Travolta.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
I've seen those guys those guys that try to put flyers in your hand when you're on an escalator but I'm not grabbing poo poo from some weirdo so i just look them in the eye until I pass.

Oh Hell No
Oct 10, 2007

I've got the world on a string.

Somehow I lived thirty minutes from Clearwater for more than half my life and never knowingly met one (probably because I never went anywhere but the beach). Apparently they pay good money for contract work, though.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
there was a church or something literally right next door to the le fun arcade on guadalupe st ("the drag") next to UT Austin

they'd send a couple of little kids in there every so often to pass out their dianetics pamphlets but inevitably they got distracted by star wars: the arcade game, spawn, and street fighter 3 alpha

i assume that the advent of online gaming and the death of the arcade probably killed that little strategy

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
meet one? i am one. AMA.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

Iron Prince posted:

meet one? i am one. AMA.

how many 8 year olds do you think you could take in a fight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

I ran into an old friend from middle school, and learned that he's now a scientologist. He's not rich or famous, so I guess he got roped-in by the crazies on the street, with the personality tests. I used to think he was a smart and cynical type of dude who wouldn't fall for that kind of bullshit, but I guess he's actually dumb or was brainwashed by Xenu's space rays. Or maybe Tom Cruise sexy time is what got him hooked.

• Locked thread