Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.
Problem description: I have a Benq BL2710 1440p monitor, and currently I run it at 1440p. However, lately I've been playing games at 1080p, because when it runs at the native resolution, everything is far too dark. By this, I mean the black parts of the image are VERY black, making it hard to make out any details. Playing video games set at night is a nightmare because of this, so I've been playing at 1080p which has been a good solution so far.

Attempted fixes: So far I've been running games at 1080p, and the gamma / brightness / whatever it is is absolutely fine there. I've tried adjusting the levels on my GPU (SLI 970s) and the monitor, but they don't really achiever much and make everything else (e.g. the desktop) look very odd. The gamma setting on my monitor doesn't change anything.

Recent changes: Other than the monitor, nope.

--

Operating system: e.g. Windows 8.1 Pro Edition, 64-bit.

System specs: CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K
RAM: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 951MHz
Mobo: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. MAXIMUS VII HERO (SOCKET 1150)
GPU: 2x 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
SSD (OS): Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB
HDD: 1TB Western Digital, 2TB Seagate, 600GB Western Digital

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
That's a professional monitor with fancy features, you need to make sure they're all disabled for acceptable gaming performance. In particular, make sure the Picture Mode is set to Standard, Dynamic Contrast is on 0, the HDMI RGB Range is at 0-255, Eye Protect is disabled, and the Eco Sensor is disabled. All of these settings would significantly reduce the brightness and contrast of displayed images.

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.
Looks like it was the HDMI RGB Range setting! Thank you very much!

• Locked thread