Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

http://www.eater.com/drinks/2015/5/15/8570043/mountain-dew

quote:

A little over a year ago, I became obsessed with the concept of shame.

For me, beginning to think about (and talk about) shame as an emotion was like searching for a word that’s been on the tip of your tongue for ages and then comes to you like a thunderbolt in the middle of washing dishes or when you’re nodding off to an X-Files rerun. Exploring it was simultaneously deeply cathartic and like sticking my hand in an emotional meat grinder.

Over a series of months, a perfect storm of books, lectures and wee-small-hours conversations revealed to me—like peeling back the layers of an onion (weepy eyes and all)—that the feeling I had called so many other things (embarrassment, pigheadedness, discomfort, willfulness) was shame at its core.

It also became clear fairly quickly that a lot of my shame coalesced around one thing: my relationship with Diet Mountain Dew.

For me, that argument continues to manifest itself on both a personal and interpersonal level. For my mountain home, shame surrounding Mountain Dew has become a rhetorical touchstone that’s somehow come to shape the country’s perception of life in modern day Appalachia. In both cases, it’s a prickly briar patch of fact and lore jumbled together.

In the kitchen that day, Mountain Dew was used as a stand in for a harder conversation about our waning relationship that we had been dancing around for months. In more national conversations, it often seems to take up this stunt double role, particularly when addressing rural poverty.

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
5'd

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
wont all these god drat social justice people just get the gently caress laid already

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
tbh if you identify as a male and you were born a male you are complete irredeemable scum because you generalize ppl and make assumptions constantly

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I got to the herion dealer part and just closed it. mental illness

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
lmao DIET mt dew? in for a penny in for a pound is what I say, if youre going to do the dew do it!!!

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

just do the dew

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
My Shameful Diet Mountain Dew Relationship

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

mount'n dew it

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
Omg what a loving baby. I literally don't know ANYONE who isn't aware of what mountain dew is and how it tastes. I know a lot of people who love it and a few who don't, yet she is making it seem like some wholly rare redneck only beverage that no one but mountain folk drink and then imagining scorn and pity based on her already imagined seperation from the rest of the world.

She is literally making stuff up in her head to justify the stuff she already made up. This is some inception level poo poo.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
im permabanned poster MTN.DEWCREW48. i first started feeling shame when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "shame" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "Mtn. Dew Mouth" and "i love mtn. Dew more than life" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start feeling shame in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "shame" style of Mtn. Dew was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "drink" mtn dew to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
im mountain gay

Office Commando
Mar 23, 2005
The Invasion from Within

Jimson posted:

im permabanned poster MTN.DEWCREW48. i first started feeling shame when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "shame" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "Mtn. Dew Mouth" and "i love mtn. Dew more than life" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start feeling shame in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "shame" style of Mtn. Dew was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "drink" mtn dew to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

niggerstomper58 rewrites will never get old :allears:

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Four Score posted:

niggerstomper58 rewrites will never get old :allears:

i would advise all people who "drink" mtn dew to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

I didn't think that would work so well honestly. But this line makes it.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
lol

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
"This Mountain Dew sure tastes good"
"I AGREE, OUR RELATIONSHIP IS GOING NOWHERE"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi