Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/vote_menu_114_1.htm
S. 1357, H.R. 2048

A few fringe sites here and there have articles, major news sites maybe have one. But even the senators that voted for or against this, most are not vocal at all. In NY, ours both voted for reform and against extension as is, but nothing on their web sites in support or against it. Why is this not a bigger deal? When Snowden leaked all that information, it was plastered everywhere. Now that there's an opportunity for congress to actually do something about it, mum's the word?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Perhaps it was because when the Snowden leaks were plastered everywhere there was no major outcry against it and major media outlets don't often run stories that do not generate major amounts of interest or outrage.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Pretty sure most people forgot the Patriot Act exists. No sense bringing something that controversial back into the public light when if everybody forgot about it you can just ignore that it exists.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I guess that's right. It's like 50/50 of the nation, people who support it vs against.
You aren't going to get any votes talking about it.

Still, it seems like there's some sort of responsibility there to announce your standpoint on something fairly important.

But it's fairly strange, there's practically bipartisan support for reform, they just can't decide on what the reform should be.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I guess that's right. It's like 50/50 of the nation, people who support it vs against.
You aren't going to get any votes talking about it.

Still, it seems like there's some sort of responsibility there to announce your standpoint on something fairly important.

But it's fairly strange, there's practically bipartisan support for reform, they just can't decide on what the reform should be.

The only important things are things that affect elections. If people aren't talking about it then it isn't important.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
I bet the NSA could give us a better breakdown on the average American's opinion than "like 50/50 of the nation'.

Perhaps we should ask them.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/vote_menu_114_1.htm
S. 1357, H.R. 2048

A few fringe sites here and there have articles, major news sites maybe have one. But even the senators that voted for or against this, most are not vocal at all. In NY, ours both voted for reform and against extension as is, but nothing on their web sites in support or against it. Why is this not a bigger deal? When Snowden leaked all that information, it was plastered everywhere. Now that there's an opportunity for congress to actually do something about it, mum's the word?

It's more important for black people to riot and then cover that on the news.

If the news is to be believed.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
"Well what do you have to hide?" - Popular news media and most people

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

The SituAsian posted:

"Well what do you have to hide?" - Popular news media and most people

"Everything." - guy with tinted windows

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Hell, the only honest reporting so far I have seen is this:

https://youtu.be/XEVlyP4_11M

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

theultimo posted:

Hell, the only honest reporting so far I have seen is this:

https://youtu.be/XEVlyP4_11M

Haha...holy hell..12:40, did that actually happen?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Haha...holy hell..12:40, did that actually happen?

Sadly yes. Bieber news > the safety of our information.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
There was a study recently that shows that humans have finally been surpassed by goldfish in terms of average attention span.

THANKS OBAMASMARTPHONES!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

theultimo posted:

Sadly yes. Bieber news > the safety of our information.

Most Americans don't care much about stuff like surveillance because gently caress it who cares, they won't come for me, I'm a good American.

Other people are so terrified of a police state they live in denial of all the poo poo the government has gotten up to in the past 20 years.

• Locked thread