Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005
what the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for!?
So I just put the finishing touches on my garden this week. I have a really bad ant problem on my backyard patio (the vegetable beds surround the patio like a border) so I decided to spray some standard ant-killer stuff on the bigger culprit hills, maybe 8-10 of them. Fast forward three hours later, I see it is about to torrential rain so I sweep up the dead ant hills so it doesn't spread everywhere but of course the residue is still going to be in the cracks and such.

Anyway, do any fellow gardeners/chemists/WebMD enthusiasts have any insight on what I should do? It seems like it might be overkill to take out all my plants/veggies and resoil everything (the pesticide had dried at this point). On the other hand, the stuff is extremely toxic..the way it makes insects shrivel up and die instantly doesn't speak well for integrating with my food!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
You're dead already.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
If you've still got the container of ant killer around, check the ingredients. If it's boric acid-based, the toxicity to humans is low. It could potentially harm your plants, but hopefully the rain will have diluted it enough that it'll be okay.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
It's an insect killer, not RoundUp. The garden should not be affected. Check the label if you're curious - if it's for exterior use it will warn you if it shouldn't be used around ornamental plants or veggies. Most of your plants probably won't notice. That said, I would thoroughly wash anything you harvest that might have been close enough to your spraying to have wind-drifted particles land on it, and/or anything touching the soil in your garden. Ant killer is not something one should ingest.

• Locked thread