Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Impromptu Flip
Aug 30, 2008
Problem description: In the last week or so, my monitor loses signal either immediately after the "Starting Windows" screen, or after I've entered my password. I've also had the computer totally freeze shortly after. It's been intermittent; sometimes I'll turn it on and have no problems at all, and others I'll have the same problem across multiple restarts. I've never had a problem booting into safe mode, which I've done plenty of times whereas I lost signal after Starting Windows on the reboot after installation. After the very first occurrence there was a couple of errors in the application event logs for something that looked like nvidia software, but I think this was a red herring as I've had nothing since.

Attempted fixes: I checked the connections between all the components and everything seems fine. I opened the computer up and checked for dust etc and it's immaculate. The internal connections also looked fine. I've used DDU and reinstalled the latest driver and two older driver versions (Jan 2015 and Nov 2014). As mentioned I've never had a problem with safe mode, but on rebooting after installing the drivers I've lost signal every single time.

Recent changes: I may have updated the nVidia drivers recently, but nothing else that I can recall.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 64-bit

System specs:
MSI B85M-G43 m-ATX Motherboard (Intel B85, 4x DDR3, DVI, HDMI, 4x USB3.0, GBE LAN, LGA1150 Socket)
Zotac GeForce GTX 760 AMP Edition 2GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 DVI HDMI DisplayPort SLI Ready Graphics Card ZT-70402-10P
XFX 650W XXX Edition 80+ Bronze Semi-Modular Power Supply
HP x23LED monitor

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Computer was built early last year but the monitor is much older. I suspect that my GPU is hosed, but given the intermittence I'm hoping it's something else. I don't have a spare GPU to switch out. It hasn't gotten much usage these days - the last time I did something graphically taxing was playing a game maybe at the start of the year so I can't see it being overheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Try the onboard video temporarily and see if the same problems continue or not.

Impromptu Flip
Aug 30, 2008
Onboard video works fine. I've actually been using the graphics card without any nvidia drivers; the issue only seems to occur with drivers installed.

e: I've updated the BIOS and intel chipset drivers, issue still persists. Now I only get 800x600 when using the card without the drivers, which is annoying. I'm trying to avoid reinstalling Windows...

Impromptu Flip fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 30, 2015

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I'd reseat the card and its power connectors, but I think your card is just dying and you should see if it is still under warranty with the manufacturer.

Impromptu Flip
Aug 30, 2008
I reseated the power connectors (not the card) and it's been fine since. Thanks! I'll add that to my repertoire.

• Locked thread