Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Problem description: I recently got the parts together for a new PC. Unfortunately, while the PC will turn on, the lights function and the fans spin, the display does not function.

Attempted fixes: I have tried connecting using both the HDMI from the motherboard and from the graphics card.

Recent changes: I built it from scratch, and worry I may have used incompatible parts.

--

Operating system: Operating system not installed yet.

System specs: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor, ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard, G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory, Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive, Sapphire Radeon R7 265 2GB Video Card

I have Googled and read the FAQ: What FAQ?

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

You should really add some more information about what the hardware you are using is - you could edit the template that's stickied at the top of the forum into your OP.

For instance, does the motherboard have onboard video? Does it have a VGA port? What are you connecting to in terms of monitor?

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I'm sorry. went back and added in the template.

Also, I'm connecting using a small HD TV.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Do you have access to a computer monitor? The TV probably won't be able to display a picture until the operating system loads and switches to a mode it supports. Computer monitors are made to synch to most modes that can exist rather than just the standard TV modes.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I could get one once I get my next paycheck.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I tested it out with an old SD monitor, and it still doesn't function. Additionally, I've reseated everything, and tested it without the graphics card.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

What kind of PSU are you using?

Also, try temporarily removing the SSD too.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

So it turn out the reason it's not wroking because I accidentally bent some of the pins on the motherboard that connect it to the CPU.

Can I fix that? And should I get a CPU cooler?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Mr Tastee posted:

So it turn out the reason it's not wroking because I accidentally bent some of the pins on the motherboard that connect it to the CPU.

Can I fix that? And should I get a CPU cooler?

It's possible to fix the pins depending on how badly they're bent. Using the stock cooler should be fine.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

My CPU didn't come with a cooler, though.

I'll post a picture of the motherboard tomorrow So I can get an opinion on how bad it is.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Mr Tastee posted:

My CPU didn't come with a cooler, though.

Yes, a CPU heatsink/fan are essential components of a computer.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Alright, that's on my to-buy list.

Here's a pic, though later than promised.

How bad is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

That looks unfixable to me. If it were a 2 or 3 slightly bent pins I'd say it's worth a try.
That looks like dozens of pins are skewed and bent different directions.

I don't believe you can RMA something like that due to the physical damage.

• Locked thread