Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Man, I remember when they did that poo poo to Futurama when I was in elementary school. What is it with Fox and pre-empting poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrmomancer
May 31, 2014

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Man, I remember when they did that poo poo to Futurama when I was in elementary school. What is it with Fox and pre-empting poo poo?

I have no idea. According to their website, they will air a Simpsons rerun in Golan's slot after the women's World Cup.

Fox is really annoying.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
...actually, now that I think about it, that might be another "holy poo poo we are legitimately afraid of getting bad press over this show's content" thing in Golan's case.

e: And now that I look at it, apparently the PTC has attempted to raise up a shitstorm about it. Huh. Didn't pick up much traction, though.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 1, 2015

Myrmomancer
May 31, 2014

LORD OF BUTT posted:

...actually, now that I think about it, that might be another "holy poo poo we are legitimately afraid of getting bad press over this show's content" thing.

I don't get why they would be squeamish about it now, though. They knew what they were getting into before moving it to the main Sunday lineup.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
...the Women's World Cup lead-in audience, perhaps? That's what I was thinking: there can't be that much demographic overlap between the two things, so pre-empting it regardless might be a good plan.

Myrmomancer
May 31, 2014

LORD OF BUTT posted:

...the Women's World Cup lead-in audience, perhaps? That's what I was thinking: there can't be that much demographic overlap between the two things, so pre-empting it regardless might be a good plan.

Yeah, you've got a point there. I thought you just meant Fox's general fuckery with the schedule.

I also didn't realize until just now that there are only 2 more episodes to air.

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014
Did they only order a half season then? Goddamn.

Myrmomancer
May 31, 2014

Fellbat posted:

Did they only order a half season then? Goddamn.

Yep. There's only two left, airing July 12th and the last on the 19th, from what I can find.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

LORD OF BUTT posted:

This show really isn't picking up much of a following, is it? :sigh:

I don't think Fox ever intended to market the show. Just dump it off in the summer and run it. The end. At least it didn't go the way of Murder Police.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

...actually, now that I think about it, that might be another "holy poo poo we are legitimately afraid of getting bad press over this show's content" thing in Golan's case.

e: And now that I look at it, apparently the PTC has attempted to raise up a shitstorm about it. Huh. Didn't pick up much traction, though.

Nah. Fox isn't the type to cancel something over content being too racy. The PTC are a joke at this point.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

This show really isn't picking up much of a following, is it? :sigh:

i see it as a more offensive-for-offensiveness'-sake rick and morty, and it's hard for me to really get invested or care about the show when rick and morty does almost exactly what this show does, but a whole lot better

better young ward, better irresponsible adult figure who leads the young ward on adventures, better older sister character (who's also acted a whole lot better, i really hate the voice of the older sister on golan)...just better overall

i would say golan is the family guy to rick and morty's simpsons

it's not a bad show, just really unfocused and unsure of how sincere or not it wants to be so the sincerity reads as false and a lot of the over the top aspects feel forced

it's a neither fish nor fowl sort of situation and because of it I view the show with a shrug

i watch it, it's done, i feel no real desire to continue watching. i don't hate it, because some of the jokes they put in are really really great, but often it just feels like this formless thing that's just sorta there

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jul 1, 2015

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
This show has it's moments but overall it's not great. The pacing and delivery seem wonky. Mad respect to Aubrey Plaza though, I assumed she would just be doing the voice she did on Parks&Rec, but it's actually very different with good range.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The preemption this weekend isn't all that unusual since it's a holiday weekend. If they really didn't care about the show, they would probably be more inclined to run it than not.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
I really hope Fox decides not to poo poo-can Golan when its ratings inevitably don't improve at the end of its run. They did a great job moving ADHD to FXX, and since Golan at least got SOME exposure on the main network, it would be a great anchor/flagship for the ADHD block. I mean, poo poo, Stone Quackers is getting a second season over there (not a diss on SQ, which is actually pretty fun once you give it a chance, just that it's so regularly bizarre that its survival is impressive), so there's no reason not to keep it moving.

I also got a real kick out of "Mr. and Mrs. Insatiable" and the stoner jokes from this most recent episode. I'm easy to please.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
Amidst its confusing Fox-like schedule, there's a new episode tonight at 9:30.

quote:

GOLAN MOLTS ON AN ALL-NEW “GOLAN THE INSATIABLE” SUNDAY, JULY 12, ON FOX

Golan's life is in danger when he sheds his skin in the wilderness, and only tiny Dylan can protect him! Meanwhile, Carole loosens up with the help of an amorous machine in the all-new “On Golan Pond” episode of GOLAN THE INSATIABLE airing Sunday, July 12 (9:30-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (GOL-203) (TV-14; D, L, S, V) CC-AD-HDTV 720p-Dolby Digital 5.1 PA: Viewer discretion is advised.

Voice Cast: Rob Riggle as Golan; Aubrey Plaza as Dylan Beekler; Maria Bamford as Carole Beekler; Rachel Butera as Alexis Beekler; Nick Rutherford as Keith Knudson Jr; John DiMaggio as The Mayor; Ken Marino as Keith Knudson Sr.; Tara Strong as Mackenzie B

Sneak peek: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPcLJKLE44Q

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
Season finale tonight.

quote:

GOLAN IS KING ON THE ALL-NEW SEASON FINALE OF “GOLAN THE INSATIABLE” SUNDAY, JULY 19, ON FOX

Golan attends Alexis' high school to get crowned King in the school dance. Meanwhile, Dylan worries that she is losing Golan to Alexis' world of popularity and parties in the all-new “Golan The Impregnable” Season Finale episode of GOLAN THE INSATIABLE airing Sunday, July 19 (9:30-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (GOL-206) (TV-14; D, L, S, V) CC-AD-HDTV 720p-Dolby Digital 5.1 PA: Viewer discretion is advised.

Voice Cast: Rob Riggle as Golan; Aubrey Plaza as Dylan Beekler; Maria Bamford as Carole Beekler; Rachel Butera as Alexis Beekler; Nick Rutherford as Keith Knudson Jr; John DiMaggio as The Mayor; Ken Marino as Keith Knudson Sr.; Tara Strong as Mackenzie B
TV-14; L, S, V, D

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I kind of like this show, even if it doesn't quite know what to do with itself. It's a shame most people don't know it exists.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Last night's finale episode had some damned good animation in it, too...too bad it'll probably just fade into obscurity and take 2-3 years before Fox bothers to put it on a DVD or Blu-Ray. Then people will crow about how they loved how ~edgy~ the show was like all the hipsters do/did with Ren and Stimpy.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I was less impressed with the animation last night, it was very Ren and Stimpy with the random cuts to more realistic frames. Even when it wasn't doing that the animation seemed, I don't know, different. I still like the show, but some of the previous episodes a lot more. The fight scene was really good though.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
I don't know what I like better: "Do you know how to beat a pregnant teen? Because you sure don't look like an Islamic fundamentalist to me," the piped-in laughter afterward, or Keith looking directly at the "camera" and smirking. Perfect.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I don't know, this show sort of seems like it's flailing to find humor anywhere it can and a lot of it kind of hurts. Wacky accents, hacky pot jokes, random movie references, dumb meta gags, tonal dissonance as humor -- it's all just too much and the characters are drowning under all the schtick. Plaza is doing a fine job, but Riggle's been chewing the scenery like a maniac and it's not helping the jokes any. They've also really been playing up the "sissy" side of his character and I don't think it really works. Golan is better when he's being lazy and indifferent than when he's whining and throwing tantrums. Meanwhile, Dylan seems to be gradually morphing into Stewie Griffin. I really like these characters and I wish this season hadn't spent so much time making them impossible to care about.

I really would like this show to come back and get a chance to find its footing (it doesn't seem likely, but hell, Mr. Pickles got renewed somehow and that show is just a turd), but if it's gone for good, I probably won't spend too long in mourning. At least this thread got me to read the SA articles. They're really quite good.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Duckbag posted:

I don't know, this show sort of seems like it's flailing to find humor anywhere it can and a lot of it kind of hurts. Wacky accents, hacky pot jokes, random movie references, dumb meta gags, tonal dissonance as humor -- it's all just too much and the characters are drowning under all the schtick. Plaza is doing a fine job, but Riggle's been chewing the scenery like a maniac and it's not helping the jokes any. They've also really been playing up the "sissy" side of his character and I don't think it really works. Golan is better when he's being lazy and indifferent than when he's whining and throwing tantrums. Meanwhile, Dylan seems to be gradually morphing into Stewie Griffin. I really like these characters and I wish this season hadn't spent so much time making them impossible to care about.

I really would like this show to come back and get a chance to find its footing (it doesn't seem likely, but hell, Mr. Pickles got renewed somehow and that show is just a turd), but if it's gone for good, I probably won't spend too long in mourning. At least this thread got me to read the SA articles. They're really quite good.

I felt the same about this season, honestly. The first one was great, but while this season had its moments it just didn't feel the same in tone or writing quality. It didn't help that I could never get used to Riggle's dudebro voice instead of Miller's on-point growling. :shrug:

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Thanks for the input, Jeff!
Well, I've liked it. This macabre humor is right up my alley. And Aubrey Plaza > Mary Mack.

Question: so that oil-can or whatever that falls out of the sky to cream Keith in the last episode... is that referencing something I'm supposed to get? I have zero idea why it's shown inexplicably falling from the clouds, and it seems like that's supposed to mean something.

ninotoreS fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 24, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It was the keg Golan threw skyward at the quarry party.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Duckbag posted:

Mr. Pickles got renewed because it's on Adult Swim and they'll renew anything that isn't overly expensive or giving them bad buzz, pretty much. This is on Fox and I'm pretty sure this season is all we're getting.

Hopefully they'll push Major Lazer to broadcast too, that show is the other highlight of ADHD for me.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Mr. Pickles got renewed because it's on Adult Swim and they'll renew anything that isn't overly expensive or giving them bad buzz, pretty much. This is on Fox and I'm pretty sure this season is all we're getting.

Hopefully they'll push Major Lazer to broadcast too, that show is the other highlight of ADHD for me.

We made Major Lazer specifically to FXX standards while the half hour Golans were made to Fox primetime S&P. I highly doubt any other ADHD shows will "graduate" to Fox proper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This show was great, RIP. Honestly no clue how it didn't pick up a following. :(

• Locked thread