Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I don't know which is more frustrating; the Ennies shoving D&D or Pathfinder into any category regardless of quality, or the fact that people think any games besides D&D or Pathfinder have a chance at winning.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
You're wrong about that; D&D itself swept the awards in 2009, but every year after that it rarely wins the Gold award in any category, and never in a major one. Sometimes they give a D&D product the Silver award so that they can give the Gold to a Pathfinder one in the same category. They do this too often for it to be coincidence.

They do dole out awards to non-D20, non-fantasy RPGs, sometimes even in the more prominent categories. But generally speaking, Pathfinder wins everything important. The notable exception is Numenera sweeping the awards last year.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 30, 2015

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

One year I went back through all the posted ENnie winners and 3.x or Pathfinder almost never failed to take top three if they were in a category. And they generally beat far superior entries.

Plus it's total nerds-in-power corruption all the way down. There was one scandal where a judge dropped out of judging but kept (and possibly sold) his review copies, something involving Khador war wagons (hundred dollar miniatures) going missing, and God knows whatever disingenuous bullshit goes into straight faced telling FFG that the WHFRP3 boxed set production values weren't up to Pathfinder's standard.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, what do you expect from an award created, hosted by, and run by a site that from Day 1 was the 3.X fanboy site?

I mean, way back when 3e first happened it was the main news source for info on d20 products, but since then it's become 3.Path first, everything else a distant second.

I mean, for gently caress's sake there's a guy in the ENWorld comments complaining that Paizo isn't in enough categories.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

If you are to nominate a fangame that wasn't authorized by copyright owners at least nominate Pokémon Tabletop United because it wasn't on DTRPG, has an actual system that evolved nicely the last few years and is inspired by a better loving franchise than ME.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

If you are to nominate a fangame that wasn't authorized by copyright owners at least nominate Pokémon Tabletop United because it wasn't on DTRPG, has an actual system that evolved nicely the last few years and is inspired by a better loving franchise than ME.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

They just announced the replacement nominees for the Ennies:

Best Free Product
Valiant RPG Digital Initiative (Catalyst Game Labs)

Best Electronic Book
Dragon Age Core RuleBook (Green Ronin Publishing)

Product of the Year
Designers & Dragons: A History of the Roleplaying Game Industry (Evil Hat Productions)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So I have a Silver Ennie. Well, ceramic, but silver painted.

I mean, not as an award. I haven't published poo poo. But I was buddies with the guy who used to make them about 10ish years ago, and he gave me a spare when I visited.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I know they've come up before but are there any RPG podcasts preferably of actual play sessions that are at the most PG? I listen to podcasts and audiobooks at work but it's a day care so I can't be listening to a podcast that uses words deemed "inappropriate."

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
This Star Wars: Edge of the Empire campaign makes a point to only use fake Star Wars profanity, but they slip up a fair number of times in the earlier episodes: http://www.oneshotpodcast.com/category/campaign/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Not having sex crap on your tabletop game is the best choice all things considered.

This right here. Yeah, mature folks can handle it in their games, but the market has plenty of immature folks who can't handle it and will tell you loudly how much they can't handle it.

• Locked thread