Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chilled
May 29, 2013
Hi All,

After looking at my spending on Coffee Shops for the past year, I've decided to post my findings. Hopefully you all will find it helpful.

You've all heard the expression "Don't shop hungry," as it results in more impulse purchases that are usually not so healthy.
Fast food is the epitome of literally shopping hungry, and coffee shops are a close second. You go in for just a coffee before work, and are guarantee to leave with a bagel, or muffin, or a donut.

Why go to Coffee Shops in the Morning?
>Convenience
>Laziness
>No Clear Alternatives
>Need Hot Coffee
>Need Really Good Coffee
>Stressed & Need a pick me up

Costs of Coffee Shops (Dunkin Donuts Reference):
Cup of Coffee (Medium) $1.89
Iced Coffee (Medium) $2.49
Ice Tea (Medium) $1.99
Muffin $3.36 (Includes Drink)
Ham Egg & Cheese Sandwich $5.79 (Includes Drink)
Bagel and Cream Cheese $3.69 (Includes Drink)

Record of Coffee Shop Spending 4-9-14 to 5-30-15
Raw Data: http://i.imgur.com/Mf8u7Cc.png

Total Spent in 14 Month Duration $420.64
Actual Average Monthly Spending $30.05
Average Cost Per Meal $5.39
Estimated Monthly Cost if Average Meal Eaten 22 times in a Month $118.64
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motivations to NOT go to Coffee Shops for Breakfast
>At home breakfast and morning beverage combination cost is 100x less expensive.
>Convenience can be achieved with minimum effort either at home or work. Preparation requirements below are for "Add Water" or "Toast" options

Cost of Supermarket:

Average Cost per Meal (Roughly for ease of use) $0.50
Estimated Monthly Cost if Average Meal Eaten 22 times in a Month $11.00
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Findings:
You can save over $1000 a year by avoiding coffee shops in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The general principle of not spending money on stuff thoughtlessly is a good one. But if you spent $420 on breakfast in 14 months, how are you gonna save $1000 per year? Let's get apples next to apples here.

chilled
May 29, 2013

slap me silly posted:

The general principle of not spending money on stuff thoughtlessly is a good one. But if you spent $420 on breakfast in 14 months, how are you gonna save $1000 per year? Let's get apples next to apples here.

Point taken, my aim was to use my (thoughtless) spending history to make better choices and save moving forward.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Eh, I was being gratuitously snarky anyway. Making your own coffee and biscuits is loads cheaper and probably more delicious too. Personally, I bought a stupidly expensive coffee maker and grinder last year but I've probably saved enough money to pay for it by now.

chilled
May 29, 2013

slap me silly posted:

Eh, I was being gratuitously snarky anyway. Making your own coffee and biscuits is loads cheaper and probably more delicious too. Personally, I bought a stupidly expensive coffee maker and grinder last year but I've probably saved enough money to pay for it by now.

If you're grinding your own coffee, its probably still cheaper than dat Keureg money mill. What a racket.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Seriously. Don't get me started. I have this: http://www.baratza.com/conical-burr-grinders/encore-grinder/ which is the cheapest decent grinder I know about, and once you account for not buying the goddamn stale anti-environmentalist coffeepods it's legitimately Not Bad.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Oatmeal for breakfast. Oatmeal for lunch. Lentils for dinner.

FILife

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
Sorry to be that guy, but you can't say that you, "Need Really Good Coffee" but then buy Maxwell House. Dunkin' whole bean is excellent and can be had for $5/lb if you buy at the right time. Just keep an eye out for sales.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Or take up a 16/8 fast routine. Never eat breakfast again! I skip breakfast almost every day with an occasional weekend brunch. I also do 24 hour fasts a few times a week. As such I've been able to lose weight even while traveling 75% of the time and generally eating what I want when I do eat. Saves me a ton of money too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

oRenj9 posted:

Sorry to be that guy, but you can't say that you, "Need Really Good Coffee" but then buy Maxwell House. Dunkin' whole bean is excellent and can be had for $5/lb if you buy at the right time. Just keep an eye out for sales.

This.

My wife and I love our Dunkin' coffee and we always stock up on the large 24oz packages of ground and it will last us a few weeks. They go on sale all the time at Publix or even the local Dunkin' Donuts shop down the road. The price per cup comes out to be like $0.25 to $0.30. I actually prefer our homebrewed version over the store prepared (I drink it black and the coffee shop always tastes a bit burnt/bitter compared to home).

gently caress Maxwell House.

• Locked thread