Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Updated Character List

Present (or "the real world")
Thomas Fletcher (You) - A man from Pinwheel and an excellent painter. He was the son of a miner, Christopher Fletcher, whose wife left him when Thomas was very young due to Christopher's excessive drinking. On that day, he hid in the lighthouse with Jean, before leaving for the orphanage. The two were later reunited, and fell in love. They left for America, where they had a son named Jim. But Thomas was suddenly struck with Dementia, forcing the couple to come back to Pinwheel.
Now living in an elderly care home, Thomas has been trying to reconstruct his memories using the various objects throughout his life. His dementia, coupled with watching the sci-fi movies on the television, created a dreamworld where most of the game takes place. In it he was a Restorer working for The Ether Institute of Telepathic Medicine.
Through the help of Dr Phyllis, he has regained his lucidity.

Phyllis Edmonds - A somewhat overworked doctor in the employ of an elderly care home. She has been using validation therapy to try and help Thomas regain his memories. Contrary to Thomas' Ether Institute interpretation of Phyllis, the real version is kind and empathetic.

Jean Thornton - A British schoolteacher and Thomas' wife. She died when she was 69, some time after Thomas was diagnosed with dementia. She was Thomas' childhood friend, she lived across the street from him. She searched for him for years after the two were separated.

Jim - Thomas and Jean's son. He has a daughter named Rachel. Though he cares deeply about his father, he seems to have doubts about Phyllis' therapy. When Thomas was lucid, he came to take him home.

Past Pinwheel
Elaine Gregson - An overworked bar owner who recently took over a pub in Pinwheel. Is frequently harassed by male patrons.

Alexander Graham Bell - An inventor who doesn't seem to be having much luck with his latest invention

Christopher Fletcher - A miner who is banned from the pub. His wife left him due to his excessive drinking.

George Thornton - Jean's father. He was a miner in Pinwheel, but died due to an accident in the mine.

Matthew Lewis - A post office worker, a frequent customer of the pub and a womanizer.

Jan and Philip Hemingway - A couple that own the Pinwheel post office.

Sean V. - A miner and a troublemaker. Has been responsible for stealing material from the mine. To that end, the Warden denied his request for time off. In retaliation, Sean poisoned his coffee with arsenic tablets. He later died in the mine accident.

John K. - Sean's friend and confidant. Survived the mine accident.

The Warden (Rob) - A temperamental mine warden who genuinely cares for his workers, but does not show it. To that end he comes off as a belligerent control freak, when in reality he is simply under pressure. Has a specific mug which he drinks coffee from. Poisoned by Sean V and incapacitated at the time of the accident. Ultimately alive though.
I'll work on this list some more or others can do it as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burzmali
Oct 22, 2013
Spoilers

my dad posted:

I wonder how much of what we've heard of Phyliss was the real her, and how much was the mental image of her which Thomas built in his imagination. Presumably, the evil shrink thing is something his fear built out of scratch and his faulty memory supported.
I presume none of it was the actual Phyllis. I presume that game is largely Thomas's attempt to reconcile his departure from his home in the nursing home with his fantasy world where the nursing home is his "fortress of solitude" as it were. That's the greatest weakness in the story, in my opinion. The world constructed is largely internally consistent and, for lack of a better word, sane, which isn't something I'd really expect out of someone suffering from dementia, at least from my observation of some of my elderly relatives afflicted with the illness.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
I am not sure if it was one to one but I think the case and the house were the same shape.
The nightly(?), weekly, Sci-Fi movies likely helped create the Ether One facility and the logic of the psychic restorers.

Entity411
Aug 5, 2008
Caught up with this one over the weekend, thanks for showing it off. This was an amazing game that told its story really well. I loved the art direction and environments, though the sounds started to grate, mostly with the footsteps and some repetitive environment queues.

Also, though she has a large and important role within the game, Phyllis' constant talking got on my nerves a little, I feel her part could have been better paced or cut down considerably. The ribbons triggering her little additions began to make me cringe whenever you walked up to one, and I don't think this method was conducive to a game that promotes exploration, since it gave Phyllis a schizophrenic tonal shift that was more about the order you did the levels than any sense of progression through the game.

There were small bits that could've used a bit more polish, but overall this looks amazing and I hope to get it as soon as I can scrape the funds together. Your minimal commentary did well to let the game show itself off while also helping to keep up with the puzzles, which themselves appeared original and well thought out, but I'm not one for spotting common puzzle tropes beyond sliding blocks/tiles and that 'switch down, neighbors up' affair.

I look forward to your next LP, and thanks again.

Edit: Just because it came back to me and I figure it bears mentioning. The next time you show a game with heavy or frequent text on the screen, a little longer to read it would be appreciated. I know pausing the video would have solved the problem, but all I'm thinking is an extra breath or two, not that much longer. I'd be skimming one of the longer notes and get to the last paragraph only to have it vanish. :)

Entity411 fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 25, 2015

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

One of the most brilliant parts about the twist is how well the developers kept it under wraps. The trailer for this game promises a psychological sci-fi thriller but we have this relatively slow-aced game instead. I kind of wish they used their original idea since that sounds so cool, but I enjoyed the game immensely nevertheless.
The special edition content even comes with a comic that gives backstory on the blue rocks.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Oh man, I was crying at the end there. Well, at both endings.

Thank you, Skoolmunkee, for doing this LP. It was wonderful.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

I was one of the folks who got this through ps+ but couldn't get past the docks section because of the bugs early on, thanks for doing this :) it was a pretty great experience.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

SSNeoman posted:

One of the most brilliant parts about the twist is how well the developers kept it under wraps. The trailer for this game promises a psychological sci-fi thriller but we have this relatively slow-aced game instead. I kind of wish they used their original idea since that sounds so cool, but I enjoyed the game immensely nevertheless.
The special edition content even comes with a comic that gives backstory on the blue rocks.

You can't just say something like that and then not explain it. :argh:

Thank you, Skool Munkee for showing off this beautiful game, and everyone in the thread for helping to make clearer what was going on in the story. Plots like this are kinda brutal on me until they're spelled out directly, but even then I really enjoyed this game and its wonderful art. It's also notable that this was a rare game is about mental health care, and I'm glad that a game with that as its basis got access to good funding, instead of just being stuck as an indie game!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

EagerSleeper posted:

You can't just say something like that and then not explain it. :argh:

So keep in mind that the comic itself was part of this game's con. I'd upload it myself, but I don't think that's kosher.

It's about a neurologist named Dr. Monahan meeting Byron Spencer, a wealthy and retired noble, in his manor. Spencer essentially tells him that he is a real telepath, someone who can read minds. This is handy, as he has dementia and basically pieces together who he is using the memories of others, which is how he manages to keep his clarity and function in day-today life. Spencer tells the doctor that he wants to tell a story. He will give the doctor a ton of cash regardless if he believes him or not, but if he does, he wishes for the doctor to help him. See, Spencer's powers are apparently destroying his mind, which have resulted in his dementia. The doctor, desperate for funds, agrees.

Spencer says that he spend his early days as a soldier. The horrors he saw in the war changed the way he viewed the world, and desperate for meaning in his existence, he ends up joining an occult club. His status as a war hero meant that he easily climbed the ranks, only to be disappointed that the supposed masters of the cult were nothing more than charlatans. One day though, he finds a book with a promising lead.

This takes him to an unnamed coastal town in Cornwall. One with a lighthouse on a small island connecting to a hill where the rest of the town lies. Seems familiar huh.

The locals pointed him to a forest, where the bodies of demon worshippers were buried. This demon gave its worshipers extraordinary powers, but in exchange, they would guard the forest in their death. They met their demise at the hands of witchhunters, who buried them in a shallow grave in the forest's clearing. Byron dug up the grave, and revealed the bodies, one of which had a necklace with a glowing, blue rock.
The bodies suddenly come to life, obviously not happy with Byron's desecration. He climbs out of the hole, but they manage to grab onto him. Just as he is about to join them ina pit, an enormous shadow appears and thunder strikes a nearby tree. Did I mention he decided to do all this in a thunderstorm? Of course he did.
The figure was Werethekau, the goddess of magic. No I don't know what an Egyptian goddess is doing in a British town just go with it.
Byron pledges his life to the goddess, and she gives him great powers. Using those, he climbs the ranks of society, eventually becoming the wealthy man he is in the present.

Spencer finishes his tale, but Monahan doesn't believe him. Byron is crestfallen, but keeps his end of the bargain, signing a check for the doctor. As the doctor leaves, a silhouette of the goddess appears and snarls at Byron, angry that he would try to seek an outsider's help. She mentions that although Spencer's journey is at its end, Monohan's is just beginning.

The view switches to Monohan, who has just exited Spencer's house. There is a sudden crash above, and Byron's body falls out of the window, landing on a nearby fence and skewering him. The blue stone necklace is clutched in his hand. The doctor looks up to see a silhouette of a woman.

Later, the doctor gives his statement to the police. As he leaves, we see Spencer's corpse, the necklace no longer in its hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This was a pretty neat experience to sit through. Atmosphere everywhere and a story that can get unexpectedly poignant. Though the whole Knocker story did seem rather off-tone and pointlessly tragic, given the mine tragedy was... well, maybe chance and maybe greed, not just carelessness, and the main tragedy of the game is due more to inexorable time.

But I did like the visual effects, the world rebuilding itself and the ribbons dissolving away and such.

• Locked thread