Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Man, that was incredible. I cried from the 3rd turn to the end - I've watched the TC since I was a baby and have always wanted to see a winner...and seen so many come so close.

I said three weeks ago - the slop at the Preakness would set up AP winning it all- he was on afterburners for most of that race since no one else could handle the track. I can't believe he went wire to wire today though. Just incredible. Glad it was Baffert getting the win, always liked him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Just realized I feel bad for Tom Durkin. Guy made some of the most memorable race calls in recent history and never got to call a Triple Crown win - which of course happens the year after he retires.

Current guy did a good job though.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

Pikestaff posted:

Just realized I feel bad for Tom Durkin. Guy made some of the most memorable race calls in recent history and never got to call a Triple Crown win - which of course happens the year after he retires.

Current guy did a good job though.

I was telling my wife the same thing. Being an NYC resident, I was able to catch all his calls and he missed out by a year.

Also, why is there no horse racing thread? I got interested in the sport last year and was beginning to figure out the PPs and all that, but there's no real SA community for it.I could understand why, but I'm sure there are goons out there that would like to have a thread.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

There was one like a year or so ago, but it was pretty much just the OP giving out his picks for harness races (Mr. Trifecta iirc). Just not enough interest in discussing top stakes horses or the industry in general.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
it owned

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3533368

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Man, I would sit in a horse racing thread all day long. Unfortunately as was mentioned I don't think there's enough interest here, especially in-between the big races (Triple Crown and Breeders' Cup).

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

Pikestaff posted:

Man, I would sit in a horse racing thread all day long. Unfortunately as was mentioned I don't think there's enough interest here, especially in-between the big races (Triple Crown and Breeders' Cup).

As would I. It would be like the sumo thread, the core thread members would always be in there and then people pop in from time to time during tournaments. If I knew enough I would make the thread but I am really a beginner.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

:lol: at Monday's Today Show coverage. "American Pharoah may race again after the Belmont, something almost unprecedented for a Triple Crown winner."

Uhhh, actually every TC winner ever has raced past the Belmont.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

Moktaro posted:

:lol: at Monday's Today Show coverage. "American Pharoah may race again after the Belmont, something almost unprecedented for a Triple Crown winner."

They covered themselves by saying "almost unprecedented" so nyah nyah nyah!

If the weather's good I think I'm gonna head out to Belmont tomorrow. I enjoy watching live racing when it's nice out.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Moktaro posted:

:laffo:

I mean, I guess it might be unprecedented for modern horses if modern horses (other than Pharoah) actually won the TC. But um, alrighty then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Yeah, the last two both raced the following year as well, even had an epic Seattle Slew-Affirmed matchup in '78. Secretariat probably would've if his owners weren't scrambling to pay off DEATH inheritance taxes before the Derby.

• Locked thread