Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Spartacus owned too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

that is really loving cool. I watched the first episode of spartacus and promptly deleted my illegally downloaded copy because it was dogshit.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

You're thinking of Titus, who was proceeded by Domitian.

He probably wasn't as great as portrayed. Historians just really wanted to contrast how horrible his successor was. And Domitian was pretty effective as a ruler. He just gave absolutely no shits about the senate or rich people, and had a massive chip on his shoulder because he was ignored as a kid.

History back then was shameless propaganda without nary a shred of accountability. Claudius was loving exiled because he wrote a biography of the julii that was too honest.

Also Domitian caught a bunch of flack later on for his supposed persecution of Christians and Jews.

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
Commodus is, to me, a very interesting figure, as is Nero. In roman culture, entertainers were despised by the upper classes and lauded by the lowers which absolutely had to have had an impact on their decisions in situ. Singers and actors were treated like necessary riffraff (and jupiter help you should you be seen consorting with one) while the professional fighters of Rome were rolled into the criminal justice system, a huge over-reach of state power

The story of Commodus gesturing harm to Senators after having just slaughtered a harmless beast, for instance, strikes me as either someone who is really stupid (unlikely in the nerva-antonine dynasty) or someone who is making a kind of ironic statement about the power of Rome and the old men who ran it

Similarly, Nero, while a capable ruler, was himself a poet and musician, and was treated rather unfairly by history, and both of these scions ended their multiple generation dynasties

would they have gotten away with the loving, fighting and general miscreant-in-chiefness if they hadn't been gladiators or musicians? lotta roman emperors did

huskarl_marx fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 7, 2015

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

You're thinking of Titus, who was proceeded by Domitian.

oh poo poo yeah i got my T's mixed up

then i thought trajan was that guy who nonced antinous up and down the nile but no, that was hadrian

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

huskarl_marx posted:

Commodus is, to me, a very interesting figure, as is Nero. In roman culture, entertainers were despised by the upper classes and lauded by the lowers which absolutely had to have had an impact on their decisions in situ. Singers and actors were treated like necessary riffraff (and jupiter help you should you be seen consorting with one) while the professional fighters of Rome were rolled into the criminal justice system, a huge over-reach of state power

The story of Commodus gesturing harm to Senators after having just slaughtered a harmless beast, for instance, strikes me as either someone who is really stupid (unlikely in the nerva-antonine dynasty) or someone who is making a kind of ironic statement about the power of Rome and the old men who ran it

Similarly, Nero, while a capable ruler, was himself a poet and musician, and was treated rather unfairly by history, and both of these scions ended their multiple generation dynasties

would they have gotten away with the loving, fighting and general miscreant-in-chiefness if they hadn't been gladiators or musicians? lotta roman emperors did

I don't know. loving around like those guys did was in itself a big political misstep, it shows naivete (they were both very young when they took over), and is kind of indicative of being disinterested in the work of running an empire. Sort of like "MOMMY I DON'T WANT TO BE THE PRESIDENT, I WANT TO BE A FIREMAN!"

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
Elagabalus was the most pro emperor -"devoting his life to mastering the pleasure of the flesh". He married a slave boy, would dress as a women and gently caress other dudes. He'd make sure his husband caught him and beat the poo poo out of him. He turned the imperial palace into a brothel and ask strangers to gently caress him. He was assassinated after a 4 year reign. He was 18years old.

HBO have commissioned 4 series.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
gladiator was better imo

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Ultramega posted:

that is really loving cool. I watched the first episode of spartacus and promptly deleted my illegally downloaded copy because it was dogshit.

I never watched it, but most people say the first few episodes are not indicative of the series as they were still trying to find their footing and aping 300.

Manifest Despair
Aug 20, 2008
The lower classes were drawing dicks on the walls. Dicks never change.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why
Vorena the elder :swoon:

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Manifest Despair posted:

The lower classes were drawing dicks on the walls. Dicks never change.

it's true, in the roman times only weirdo savages advocated circumcision, and it's much the same today

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001
What was with the slave with the turtle chained to his penis?

Was there a trick he does with the turtle?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

There used to be a thread about roman history and it's time for another. I'd make it but I actually know gently caress-all about history i just read about it go 'drat thats cool' and forget 6 months later. One of you roman history nerds should make one.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

MD2020 posted:

True Roman bread for true Romans.

they got brian blessed to do the voice for one of those car satnav things and it's glorious

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
Is the Wire good? I heard good things from people, but most folks don't talk about it. Should I watch it?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
oh wait that was ian mcneice nevermind

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

JonathonSpectre posted:

The best part was when Servilia sat outside Attia's house chanting "Attia of the Julii, come out that justice may be done upon you, Attia of the Julii, come out..." for days and days and days and they used lots of cuts to show just how long she was doing it, rain or shine, 24/7, and finally Attia comes out and you're like, no loving way is Servilia going to be able to say or do anything cool enough to pay off that kind of a buildup... then she starts to talk and it's just a concentrated stream of pure hatred the likes of which has rarely been heard before or since. The whole show was great but man, that part has really stuck with me.

This part really owned and stands out more than anything else to me. Rome was an awesome show. I really hope that after Game of Thrones is done HBO will put up for another big budget period drama in the ancient world. You could do something like the Funeral Games/post-Alexander the Great factional wars that scratches basically the same itch as Game of Thrones for most viewers.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Fetus Tree posted:

THIRTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ultramega posted:

Spartacus gets better a few episodes in

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

etalian posted:

Spartacus gets better a few episodes in

I should give it another shot. I watched 3 episodes, and it was obviously ripping off 300. It seemed more like guilty pleasure territory because of all the T&A and Manu Bennett cockshots. I got pretty bored with it compared to Rome.

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot

Drunkboxer posted:

I don't know. loving around like those guys did was in itself a big political misstep, it shows naivete (they were both very young when they took over), and is kind of indicative of being disinterested in the work of running an empire. Sort of like "MOMMY I DON'T WANT TO BE THE PRESIDENT, I WANT TO BE A FIREMAN!"

i'll agree that they made many misteps and doubtlessly acted like petulant children from time to time but there's like three guys i can say that didnt come off that way

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Nero was very full of himself and politically incompetent.

A large portion of your city just burned down? Don't loving build a giant imperial palace on the newly freed land you poo poo rear end

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I should give it another shot. I watched 3 episodes, and it was obviously ripping off 300. It seemed more like guilty pleasure territory because of all the T&A and Manu Bennett cockshots. I got pretty bored with it compared to Rome.

There is nothing guilty about manau bennett cockshots

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

There is nothing guilty about manau bennett cockshots

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

lol! Fuckin Crixus!

crazycarl
Jun 13, 2001

Welcome to TB Diddlers in Mokena.

Where the special is always Dr Rassmusin's Hot Beef Injection and you can play "Whers my Manometer" with other diners

Blood rains down from an angry sky, my cock rages on my cock rages on

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
If they're gever gonna make a series like Rome again, I hope it is set during the crisis of the third century. Somewhat baffles me that this period of Roman history is so popularly unknown and all pop culture depicting Rome is almost always late republic/early empire or height of the empire.

Sure, sources are thinner during the crisis but still, the potential the is great.

Velisarius
Nov 1, 2009

Falukorv posted:

If they're gever gonna make a series like Rome again, I hope it is set during the crisis of the third century. Somewhat baffles me that this period of Roman history is so popularly unknown and all pop culture depicting Rome is almost always late republic/early empire or height of the empire.

Sure, sources are thinner during the crisis but still, the potential the is great.

There will always be shows and movies that further Nordic portrayals of Mediterranean peoples, don't worry.

Rome was just another turd in a long line of Anglo-Saxon wankery.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
cleopatra was v attractive imho

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Funnily enough episode 4 is where most people agree the show starts to turn around. Episode 6 is where it becomes a great show in its own right.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Yeah, Spartacus was definitely cashing in on 300 being a megahit. It didn't develop its own personality until Episode 4 which I believe is "The Thing in the Pit"

For me, Gods of the Arena was the best Spartacus ever did. It was only 6 episodes and it was just a great deal of fun. I just couldn't get into the later seasons of Spartacus even though I know Gannicus shows up

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
Started watching Rome because of this thread and I have to say I am quite pleased so far.

I enjoy the use of rank and file soldiers to move the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004

SweetKarma posted:

Is the Wire good? I heard good things from people, but most folks don't talk about it. Should I watch it?

If you like seasons 15+ of the simpsons you'll like the wire. At that point their practically the same show

• Locked thread