Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Landa and the Basterds are two sides of the same coin, that's the point. Landa hunts Jews without regard for who they are as individuals, simply because it is his job. The Basterds, while they individually may have their own personal reasons for hating Nazis, have made it their business to travel around and kill any random Nazi they come across. The only reason we root for the Basterds and against Landa is because we know that certain Nazis committed horrible atrocities during that war, but we don't really see any of that in this movie.
The basterds kill people who commits atrocities (and arguably Tarantino shows this by having the nazi soldiers massacre Soshanna's family, the sniper trying to rape Soshanna, Landa ordering the massace and strangling Hammersmark) while Landa hunts and kills completely innocent people. They're not exactly two side of two coins. Tarantino was definitely showing that American war propaganda and German war propaganda wasn't that different, they both glorifies killers. But at the same point he also shows that the nazis were terrible people.

quote:

The character Waltz plays in Django is very, very similar to Landa, but the audience loves him and roots for him.
I would say he's very different. Schultz kills people because he very much opposes the slave trade while Landa, as noted, doesn't really care about ideology. He also completely fucks up Django's plan and arguably only helps him because he thinks their quest is exiting which made it hard for me at least to love and root for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

The basterds kill people who commits atrocities (and arguably Tarantino shows this by having the nazi soldiers massacre Soshanna's family, the sniper trying to rape Soshanna, Landa ordering the massace and strangling Hammersmark) while Landa hunts and kills completely innocent people. They're not exactly two side of two coins. Tarantino was definitely showing that American war propaganda and German war propaganda wasn't that different, they both glorifies killers. But at the same point he also shows that the nazis were terrible people.

The Basterds don't just kill people who commit atrocities, they have no qualms about executing any old soldier who happens to be wearing the Nazi uniform.

Believe me, I'm right there with you in hating what the Nazis represent and the horrific acts that were committed under that regime, and that feeling makes it impossible not to get some sort of satisfaction out of Roth's character caving a Nazi skull in with a baseball bat. That's the reaction Tarantino was looking for, but I think he also wanted people to wonder later on whether the Basterds are really any better than the average Nazi soldier, or even Landa himself. Not every German soldier in WWII was a Jew-hating, genocidal maniac.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Not every German soldier in WWII was a Jew-hating, genocidal maniac.

While that's true, I can't think of a single German soldier in that movie that wasn't in some way an rear end in a top hat. I think that Black Book did a much better job at saying that maybe not all resistance member was a saint and maybe not all German soldiers were monsters.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Alhazred posted:

While that's true, I can't think of a single German soldier in that movie that wasn't in some way an rear end in a top hat. I think that Black Book did a much better job at saying that maybe not all resistance member was a saint and maybe not all German soldiers were monsters.

There was nothing painting "random branded guy" as an rear end in a top hat outside of giving up his fellow troops (because of a threat of being beaten to death with a bat).

I didn't even really take the Basterds as being particularly caring of who they killed as long as they were German. Since Pitt's character was painted as the most stereotypical American ever, I always saw him as painting any German soldier as a kill-able NAyzee with no regard to whether they were just a conscripted soldier or someone who knew of or participated in the atrocities against Jews. But that may just have been what i brought into the film.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
A reminder that there's a significant gap between not being especially troubled by someone's death and cheering it on.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Wilhelm, who has the night of to celibrate the birth of his son with his squad, isn't much of an rear end in a top hat either.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I want to see the version of Basterds with Adam Sandler as the Bear Jew as originally imagined. He certainly would've done better than Eli Roth (who I like, but is really not an actor).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Adam Sandler isn't really an actor either.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I can't imagine Adam Sandler being as good a fit for the Bear Jew as Roth. The same way, as much as I like him, I'm not really sad that Simon Pegg couldn't make the shooting schedule and got replaced by Fassbender.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Chairman Capone posted:

I can't imagine Adam Sandler being as good a fit for the Bear Jew as Roth.

I can't imagine it either, but Tarantino could. And that's exactly what I would want to see.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
One of the best scenes in Basterds is when Shosanna is confronted by Zoller and he's coming on a little too strong and reveals that he's more vicious than she realised. But when she looks out at the movie playing she sees him again in the propaganda movie and she visibly softens for a moment. Point of fact, when Nation's Pride is playing, Zoller is the only one in the audience who's visibly uncomfortable. A lot of what Tarantino is saying about the power of movies is right there. Zoller killed those men, he recreates the kills for the camera and basks in the glory of it. But it's when he sees it playing out, set to music and the cheers of the people around him that he's troubled by it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Sandler as the Bear Jew, but only if he does the role in his little kid retard billy madison speak.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Also, Roth was worth casting because of the utter delirium he displays when he's gunning down Hitler.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I'll always love Basterds for using that music cue from The Entity. Knocked my socks off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monstre noir
Jun 19, 2015

by Ralp

DrVenkman posted:

One of the best scenes in Basterds is when Shosanna is confronted by Zoller and he's coming on a little too strong and reveals that he's more vicious than she realised. But when she looks out at the movie playing she sees him again in the propaganda movie and she visibly softens for a moment. Point of fact, when Nation's Pride is playing, Zoller is the only one in the audience who's visibly uncomfortable. A lot of what Tarantino is saying about the power of movies is right there. Zoller killed those men, he recreates the kills for the camera and basks in the glory of it. But it's when he sees it playing out, set to music and the cheers of the people around him that he's troubled by it.

Yes I really loved the "relationship" between the two of them. It was my favorite part. In a lesser directors hands, their would have been a love scene and he would have sacrificed his life for her, so she could escape. But no, Tarantino makes him a date rapist, and they shoot each other to death.

• Locked thread