Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Have you ever wanted to sell nightmare-inducing anti-insomnia pills? Now you can! The game is currently in beta, but it is fully playable right now. It can be purchased at http://www.bigpharmagame.com/ . It isn't on steam yet, but the creator promises a future steam key with the purchase.

In Big Pharma you run a drug company, and your goal is to build machines that process raw resources into profitable drugs. Doing so requires you to connect the outputs and inputs of the machines with belts. Think factorio, but the goal is to make a profit, and each processing step adds a cost.

You only start off with two machines, but paying the daily cost of scientists lets you research better machines using the game's tech tree. With enough time, you'll unlock large, expensive machines that allow you to create profitable super-drugs. Idle scientists let you upgrade individual machines, which usually results in lower operational cost.

New raw resources for your drug empire can be found by paying the daily cost for explorers. Idle explorers let you decrease the cost of raw resources.

Higher tier cures are more profitable, but require advanced machines and/or the use of catalyst effects. You'll make more money selling antimalarials than you will cold remedies.

You compete against other drug companies as well, who may drive up the price of certain ingredients, or saturate the market share. In general, the best way to compete is to get a jump on the more advanced cures before they do.

Tips:
-Hire two scientists right away, and set them on researching Ionizer and Agglomerator right away. Trying to do much of substance without them is a pain.

-Hiring a single explorer at the start to get a new resource isn't a bad idea. You might even fire him when he is done. Don't go overboard on explorers early on. They are expensive, and less important than scientists. Since exploration doesn't have a tree which must be followed, time is less of a pressure

-If you have a path to a third tier cure early, take it and enjoy the cash. Most third tier cures require more advanced machines/catalysts.

-It is okay to take out loans. In general, picking the loan with the smallest monthly payment is the way to go. You can always pay it back early to pay less interest.

-Analyzer and creamer are pretty important early techs. The analyzer lets you figure out the concentration where your drugs are the most effective. More effective drugs will yield more profit. Packaging drugs into creams reduces the side effects, which again means a better rating for your drug.

Screenshots:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Just got this. Managing mixers and staying profitable is driving me completlu insane. I did manage to make aspirin cream for your face that causes headaches as and prevents gout though.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I am a complete sucker for this type of thing so I bought it, it's a little bit unbalanced. It works well and is a great deal of fun but for example there isn't all that much incentive to build complex drugs. A bad drug in a saturated market makes more money than a good one if it needs a large production line.

Just plug a conveyor into one wall, do the minimum you can, and export it, then just make as many of that same machine as you can.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

Nolgthorn posted:

I am a complete sucker for this type of thing so I bought it, it's a little bit unbalanced. It works well and is a great deal of fun but for example there isn't all that much incentive to build complex drugs. A bad drug in a saturated market makes more money than a good one if it needs a large production line.

Sounds like they need to add subsidies.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
It would be neat if some of those side effects altered demand for other drugs in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

It seems to depend on how far down the tree you go as well. I'm in a game with the max competitors and simple drugs definitely get flooded out of the market if you don't do it right.

• Locked thread