Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.

Edge & Christian posted:

4) The entire Sapphire gimmick, which I don't believe was his idea (and was probably a rib on him) though I don't really know much about this besides watching it as a kid, was he a dick to her or otherwise was lovely about it?

For whatever reason, Vince seemed to be resentful of Dusty growing up poor and for being popular among poor white people and poor Black people and other people of color at the same time, so he would saddle Dusty with stuff design to humiliate him, like the polka dots or Sapphire. One Man Gang's makeover into "Akeem The African Dream" was another joke at Dusty's expense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
He was okay

Rip

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Vince apparently grew up poor and got beaten up a lot, so yeah.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Other than "The Dusty Finish," was Dusty known for any other widely-used wrestling trope?

Yes, without him there would be no Duthty Rhodth imperthonathuns.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Bigass Moth posted:

Why did he become a cowboy in ecw?

I imagine the conversation went:

Paul: Here in ECW we're trying a different approach. More aimed towards adults, a little more real and raw.
Dusty: I wanna be a cowboy, daddy.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Gavok posted:

Vince McMahon was so out to get Dusty Rhodes that he had three guys who were supposed to take the piss out of him:

- Reo Rogers

I had never heard of Reo Rodgers before this. They just dressed Brother Love up as Dusty/ a cowboy and had him interview Shawn Michaels. This lasted less than a month. Neat.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

I imagine the conversation went:

Paul: Here in ECW we're trying a different approach. More aimed towards adults, a little more real and raw.
Dusty: I wanna be a cowboy, daddy.

Dusty: I'm GONNA be a cowboy, daddy

:colbert:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
nothin realer than a cowboy, daddy.

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!

projecthalaxy posted:

I had never heard of Reo Rodgers before this. They just dressed Brother Love up as Dusty/ a cowboy and had him interview Shawn Michaels. This lasted less than a month. Neat.

Wasn't the American Dream/polka dot gimmick an attempt to humiliate Dusty too? Dusty was so charismatic, he got over even with that gimmick.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Sapphire was a fan that dusty noticed at a bunch of shows. So he hired her as his valet. He also paid for her funeral when she passed.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The American Dream posted:

Sapphire was a fan that dusty noticed at a bunch of shows. So he hired her as his valet. He also paid for her funeral when she passed.

She was actually a fan who the WWF hired to errands for the company over the years, like drive them around when they were in town.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Psychlone posted:

Wasn't the American Dream/polka dot gimmick an attempt to humiliate Dusty too? Dusty was so charismatic, he got over even with that gimmick.

Little known fact: His elbow drop finisher was known as the "Polka Dot Drop."

Yup.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

sapphire was vince's idea. dusty wanted a skinny hooker to be his valet. sapphire made him uncomfortable and most people interpret that as racism because they like to call things racism, but it was probably because she was mentally incompetent and didnt even know she was supposed to cash her checks.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
A Salon.com article about Dusty & his relationship with African-American fans.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Mulaney Power Move posted:

sapphire was vince's idea. dusty wanted a skinny hooker to be his valet. sapphire made him uncomfortable and most people interpret that as racism because they like to call things racism, but it was probably because she was mentally incompetent and didnt even know she was supposed to cash her checks.

Bad News Brown claimed that Vince gave Sapphire her name because of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereotypes_of_African_Americans#Sapphire

Not sure if I believe that or not; Vince is a racist rear end in a top hat but he's also a clueless rear end in a top hat, so who knows if he even knew that was a thing. Dusty went along with it because, according to him, he was burned out from years of booking/being in charge and just wanted to have fun for a while without questioning anything.

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!

CombineThresher posted:

Bad News Brown claimed that Vince gave Sapphire her name because of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereotypes_of_African_Americans#Sapphire

Not sure if I believe that or not; Vince is a racist rear end in a top hat but he's also a clueless rear end in a top hat, so who knows if he even knew that was a thing. Dusty went along with it because, according to him, he was burned out from years of booking/being in charge and just wanted to have fun for a while without questioning anything.

You gotta take a lot of what Bad News Allen said with a grain of salt. He had trouble with everyone. His in ring persona was basically the same type of person he was outside of the ring. Bret Hart said in his book that Bad News had no idea what selling was and what wrestling was, so he wouldn't sell offense against him, and he'd straight up hit his opponents as hard as he could in the ring. Guys saw conspiracies everywhere.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

The Dusty tribute that aired tonight (and will probably air all week)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npKZ-W5pUXE

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Other than "The Dusty Finish," was Dusty known for any other widely-used wrestling trope?

innovated the 12-6 elbow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGxNVVrn8d8

• Locked thread