Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Johnson's short game is poo poo. That's why he lost. And Speith had a caddy pretty much intimately familiar with the course who could drive home and sleep in his bed at night. Speith played smart and had inside knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pro golfers definitely can change their game to course conditions, but if putts are bouncing around on surfaces with random poo poo grown into them, I can understand the complaints to a degree.

Like Kilo said though, Spieth had a fantastic caddie and that clearly helped him out.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

DJExile posted:

Pro golfers definitely can change their game to course conditions, but if putts are bouncing around on surfaces with random poo poo grown into them, I can understand the complaints to a degree.

Like Kilo said though, Spieth had a fantastic caddie and that clearly helped him out.

Plus, you know, Johnson could have got there a day, week, or month early and try to putt. I mean, maybe he could actually make a shot from less than two inches.

That said, I'm gonna start a gofundme, need a million dollars to open a putt-putt course based off the terrain and conditions of Chambers Bay. I'll name it the Dustin Johnson Memorial Greens. But it'll always be brown.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Parody Threads posted:

Yes it has irrigation. And the USGA was totally signed off on the course.

Like I said, they had a ton of poo poo everywhere about the future of golf and sustainability and water access, they know golf has huge problems coming down the pipe (which might be the only things in the pipes for golf in Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Nevada or California lmao).

I also talked to my brother who was on the course friday sat and sunday, he said its not really the watering (well kinda). What happened was that usga came in about 6 weeks ago and cut the greens too short which normally isn't a problem except that they also refused to keep the grass hydrated and Washington has been unusually hot this year so one type of grass in the greens died.

On the other hand it did exactly what they wanted, it created drama and excitement.

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

I also talked to my brother who was on the course friday sat and sunday, he said its not really the watering (well kinda). What happened was that usga came in about 6 weeks ago and cut the greens too short which normally isn't a problem except that they also refused to keep the grass hydrated and Washington has been unusually hot this year so one type of grass in the greens died.

On the other hand it did exactly what they wanted, it created drama and excitement.

It's more like the brocolli/cauliflower started flourishing and taking over in the conditions, less that the other stuff died. But that's about right.

They did actually do some work on a few of the greens and I think 12 was one of them. They were noticeably different.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

runoverbobby posted:

Maybe I'm not reading the last sentence correctly, but it seems to suggest that the solution to bad greens is to putt with a bad stroke. I've never heard anything like that before.

I didn't say you should put with a "bad" stroke. You just can't take your standard putting stroke when you get certain lies on bad greens -- the ball will immediately redirect to the side. You need some extra loft on the putt in that situation.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm not sure Jordan Spieth is good for the long term health of the golf. He's boring and does nothing to help grow the game.

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm not sure Jordan Spieth is good for the long term health of the golf. He's boring and does nothing to help grow the game.

People loving love the kid if the gallery is any evidence.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

Which current pro would be good for the long term health of golf? Cuz in my book "the long term health of golf" could do a lot worse than a 21 year old kid who has ice water running through his veins and two major championships.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Oost seems like a chill dude who I could root for in the years to come. I'd rather watch him than a babyface who need to cry on his caddies shoulder all day or a coke fiend.

The course owned, use a putter with a bit more loft and enjoy your private hell on earth. I want to see futile struggles on TV.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Josh Lyman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psmD1DVPIrU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

thebushcommander posted:

Chambers bay is literally what Westwood said. If you're going on there to score well you're playing the wrong course. Its like one of the courses where I'd hit driver every hole just to see where it would end up and see what type of whacky putts I could make putting the opposite direction of the hole. That said I am going to Tacoma in a few weeks and I was going to attempt to check it out, but I wouldn't even pay real dollars to play there. So I need to see if they except monopoly monies.

Yeah the complaints seem to be about the ball rolling wherever due to the lovely grass.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/06/gary-player-eviscerates-us-open-course-chambers-bay

The course being lovely to watch if you showed up with a ticket is also a major problem when it's the loving U.S. Open. The U.S. Open is supposed to be a hard course every year, but it's also supposed to be a nice course that is taken care of.

All this being said, the highlight videos of the U.S. Open online are absolutely hilarious.

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Yeah the complaints seem to be about the ball rolling wherever due to the lovely grass.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/06/gary-player-eviscerates-us-open-course-chambers-bay

The course being lovely to watch if you showed up with a ticket is also a major problem when it's the loving U.S. Open. The U.S. Open is supposed to be a hard course every year, but it's also supposed to be a nice course that is taken care of.

All this being said, the highlight videos of the U.S. Open online are absolutely hilarious.

Golfers are a bunch of weirdos about greens. Many would rather putt on an upsidedown ceramic bowl than putt on Chambers Bay greens, because even though the former is impossible it's at least consistently so.

It is rare that a guy would just go "well I need to rethink my approach play if inconsistencies will come into play." Because they are all so good, you see! But to me it's no different than the randomness of start times, which can dramatically affect course conditions in all sorts of different ways for each golfer. Just deal with it, and there are ways to deal with it.

And the course was fine as a spectator. I've been to other majors and this was just as good if not better. Old entitled white people were being whiny babies because they couldn't follow Phil the entire time and hear his labored breathing on 8 and 12. Who cares, watch someone else for 20 minutes or look at the Puget Sound for a bit and have a beer.

When the Amateur was here they let people a lot closer to those holes and all the olds fell in pits and stuff, lmao. I wish they had opened those spots up.

And yes things were a bit parched, and expecting a bunch of southern golf fans and northern business executives to be comfortable around that much brown was always going to be a stretch.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Parody Threads posted:

And yes things were a bit parched, and expecting a bunch of southern golf fans and northern business executives to be comfortable around that much brown was always going to be a stretch.

:drat:

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
God, the tears that would be shed if they played at my home course. Granted our greens haven't been cored in a year and have a disease through them. I'm used to my ball bouncing every so often.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Josh Lyman posted:

Jesus man, source your quotes.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah, Josh I love ya but the dude destroyed the Masters, now has 2 majors in a row, and he's only 21. If anything, dude is a sign that there is a lot of new exciting young blood in the game and goddamn if that isn't exactly what it needed.

Yeah, he's not a major personality yet, but I'd give that some time.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I mean, I like Jordan, but I listened to all the ESPN shows on Monday and they basically said Jordan was too boring for them.

To be fair, a lot of the commentators are black and their only interest in the sport is Tiger, and in general ESPN personalities don't know anything about golf, but I fear they still represent the casual sports fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ohhhh ok.

Josh is cool guys, let him back in the club :v:

Honestly I wouldn't listen to jack squat said on ESPN these days. They want headlines beyond "this guy owns at golf and won 2 straight majors".

• Locked thread