Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Has anybody else had internet connection problems while playing? My connection seems to randomly drop during games, and I was wondering if it's a problem on my end or if it has happened to anybody else. I'm in Europe if it matters.

Edit: and as soon as I post this, my connection starts acting up outside the game, so ignore this.

On a gameplay question, what's a good second starter if my first was green?

LupusAter fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
I may grab this tomorrow when I have actual time to sit down and check it out. How is the deckbuilding aspect? I have played magic casually for like... 17 years? I always enjoy deckbuilding more than the game, especially doing silly, unexpected things. I imagine the card pool is still small, but is there much room for experimentation?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Megasabin posted:

Can anyone comment on this vs. Hex as they seem to be doing a similar thing (minus single player in hex). Is there drafting in this?

I played Hex since the alpha so I'll drop a couple of observations

It solved the main problem I had with Hex in that you can actually progress your collection without dropping cash. You get some type of reward every level up with every 5th being a starter deck. In addition to the cards unlocking a starter deck gets you more access to the world map which unlocks more slots for dailies.

The resources in this kinda work like Hex but instead of getting threshold and mana you have to choose between a threshold or mana and drawing a card. Because you're constantly drawing it feels way faster than Hex or Magic.

I love the way hero abilities work in Spellweaver. Instead of being locked to one ability some resource cards give you an ability (up to 3) instead of letting you draw a card. With how I'm getting worked over online these can be really good.

There's drafting but it's a bit to expensive imo (4000 gold when you get a average of 300 for a daily). Maybe when you've unlocked the whole map it's more reasonable. The draft mode is basically a ripoff of hearthstone. You pick a faction and it gives you a choice of 3 cards until you get 40 and you keep going until you lose 3 times. I think I prefer this more than Hex's tournament style because you can do your matches whenever you want instead of sitting for 2 hours.

As far as the actual cards go I think I prefer Hex because the cards seem more creative.

the game seems pretty generous from what I played so far but I don't know if it'll stay like that at later levels.

Aside from a few complaints (a lot of which is caused by the low playerbase) I'm liking Spellweaver. When hex gets it's poo poo together I'll probably like it a bit more.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
My first impression is that there's a lot of soft removal but not a lot of ways to deal with big back row creatures.

Is this generally correct, or am I just in the wrong colours for dealing with an opponent who voltrons buffs on to a 4/4 flyer?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

LupusAter posted:

Has anybody else had internet connection problems while playing? My connection seems to randomly drop during games, and I was wondering if it's a problem on my end or if it has happened to anybody else. I'm in Europe if it matters.

Edit: and as soon as I post this, my connection starts acting up outside the game, so ignore this.

On a gameplay question, what's a good second starter if my first was green?

Dominion/Purple also has elfs, and is a good deck in general. If you like the energy mechanic, get Wisdom/Blue. Also, White/Order gives you more buffs for your naturally fast elfs, and some lategame drops with the angels.

Jabor posted:

My first impression is that there's a lot of soft removal but not a lot of ways to deal with big back row creatures.

Is this generally correct, or am I just in the wrong colours for dealing with an opponent who voltrons buffs on to a 4/4 flyer?

Backrow is a pain without the right cards. I usually freeze and poke something big if I can't bounce it.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

DrManiac posted:

I'm coming up to my third free starter so far I have corruption and rage. I was thinking getting either dominion or wisdom.

I really don't like the dominion starter, you need a lot of cards to make the faction work (in my not very well informed opinion) and the various combo's it has built in don't work too well with a splash of another colour - a lot of the cards in the box require two symbols and it makes it quite a jealous colour really. I regret taking it and would urge you to leave it to last. Unless you have opened some other good stuff along the way.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Phrosphor posted:

I really don't like the dominion starter, you need a lot of cards to make the faction work (in my not very well informed opinion) and the various combo's it has built in don't work too well with a splash of another colour - a lot of the cards in the box require two symbols and it makes it quite a jealous colour really. I regret taking it and would urge you to leave it to last. Unless you have opened some other good stuff along the way.

Yeah, I'm not too impressed by the Dominion starting deck either. Conversely, it actually has a bunch of fairly good level 1 cards, so it may be a reasonable pathway for augmenting another deck. Having access to Assassinate, the moon elves, that ranged unit, and the vampire count at level 1 can be good complimets to many of the starting decks I've seen so far.

That said I still wish I had chosen another color for me second unlock. :/

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I tried to get some friendly matches against real people last night instead of the AI and I got destroyed. I played against one guy running domination/corruption and it was total hand and draw control, he was emptying my hand, looking through the top cards of my deck and rearranging them and playing my own creatures against me. I had no recourse at all! Are there any counterspells or anything in the game to stop stuff like this? It was pretty depressing because when you only have the card you drew that turn to play with the game gets one-sided fast.

I managed to resurrect the big undead knight guy on turn 3 but then he wiped the board..

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
I think dominion is actually one of the better starter boxes honestly. You just have to know when to go all in, and make sure you pressure early so you can threaten lethal with that metabolic overcharger you've been holding on to.

Unfortunately loses really hard to black. Blue as well if you can't get a quick start or some lucky rng with experiments.

It's kind of a weird deck/playstyle though.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
So I choose Black then White as my start decks and they seem to work really well together. The constant rush of cheap zombies and militia backed up by the white buffs and the deadly/vigilant late tier cards seems to work well. I can outlast pretty much any gimmick.

The only problem I seem to have is with those drat experiments. How the hell do you deal with a 2 mana card that lets you buff it with +3/3 right off the bat, and keep doing so? Its ridiculous how powerful experiment cards seem to be.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Slaan posted:

So I choose Black then White as my start decks and they seem to work really well together. The constant rush of cheap zombies and militia backed up by the white buffs and the deadly/vigilant late tier cards seems to work well. I can outlast pretty much any gimmick.

The only problem I seem to have is with those drat experiments. How the hell do you deal with a 2 mana card that lets you buff it with +3/3 right off the bat, and keep doing so? Its ridiculous how powerful experiment cards seem to be.

4 copies of sleep works well vs implants.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

This game is a surprisingly refreshing take on a TCG. I really enjoyed the tutorial and am looking forward to actually having some time to play it properly.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Basic board states are staggeringly complex in this game. I don't think I've played a game yet where I haven't made at least one glaring misplay every few turns. I like the game so far but I might genuinely be too stupid to play it.

Dav
Nov 6, 2009

HMS Boromir posted:

Basic board states are staggeringly complex in this game. I don't think I've played a game yet where I haven't made at least one glaring misplay every few turns. I like the game so far but I might genuinely be too stupid to play it.

This is a game for people who like Magic but want to get rid of the stack and make combat way more complicated, apparently.

I'm intrigued so far, but I've hit the point where I need rares to build any more interesting decks which starts to feel grindy.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Yep. I've noticed that basically everyone playing right now has purchased/ground out a bunch of rarer cards for their decks. A new player coming in won't be fighting sometime else with newish decks ever. It's life hitting a brick wall. I haven't been able to get a card off in my last three friendly matches because they all w were heavy purple/blue without a starter card in sight.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Maybe this is true of all the starter decks, but god drat the Blue starter is a disaster. The human I tried to run it against was playing a pretty simple red deck, but he had a burn spell for every dude I tried to play whereas I had a grip full of useless durdle bullshit. 1/1s whose job is just to generate mana and do nothing with it, and guys who freeze some one mana goblin and then get gang-attacked into oblivion. There's a long climb here, it looks like.

Heatwizard fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 2, 2015

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
The blue starter is like a really lovely combo deck where you have to draw your energy generators and your energy spenders (golem guy, bird, to a lesser extent shield guy) at the right time or you just get run over. I started with it and had a pretty rough time. Ended up unlocking the red deck at level 5 and cannibalizing a few useful cards from the blue deck before switching to RG aggro at level 10.

If you want to stay on the control plan (to whatever extent blue's pile of cards can be described as such) you could try picking up purple to make your removal suite less anemic. Red might also work as a splash just for its removal suite and pingers to shatter frozen creatures.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Aug 3, 2015

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Limited is really generous in this game! You get so many daily quests (plus leveling rewards early on and academy quests afterwards) that you can easily do a trial every day or two, even if you don't get very far in any of them.

tell your friends dangit this game is cool

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Aug 5, 2015

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

HMS Boromir posted:

Limited is really generous in this game! You get so many daily quests (plus leveling rewards early on and academy quests afterwards) that you can easily do a trial every day or two, even if you don't get very far in any of them.

tell your friends dangit this game is cool

Thats's the main thing. Tell YO Friends! The only problem with this game is the terrible wait times on off hours.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

This game is good and I am sad that it will probably die a slow unpopular death. It's not perfect but they mixed the right elements from the right sources. With a bit better production values this game could be killer. It's just a bit generic, no real art direction or unique world building.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

This game is good and I am sad that it will probably die a slow unpopular death.

bloodline champions is going to happen to me again and im going to die

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

Tell YO Friends!

I told seven people and a podcast. I think that's all I got. Maybe they're going to have an advertising campaign once beta is over? I really don't want this to die as quickly as it's looking like it will.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

HMS Boromir posted:

I told seven people and a podcast. I think that's all I got. Maybe they're going to have an advertising campaign once beta is over? I really don't want this to die as quickly as it's looking like it will.

It is pretty awful as a new player just now, every time I queue for a casual game against a human my starter decks get stomped by people with nuts decks. Makes me play less and less.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm running a red/green aggro pile that's almost entirely constructed from the contents of the red and green starters and I haven't been doing that badly.

You could also just play trials for a less lopsided experience. A perfectly random system is maximally fair and all that. Assuming you haven't already spent gold on packs, you should have oodles of it from leveling up and quest rewards. There isn't even enough time in the day for me to play the 20 or so trials' worth of gold and tickets I have sitting around.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Aug 12, 2015

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

If people haven't noticed a huge balance patch went through, and there are new heroes for all colors.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

If you log in by the 21st you get 2000 free gems which is about $40 worth.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 15, 2015

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Nobody plays this anymore? They're doing a big invitational with a couple magic pros this month.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

always be closing posted:

Nobody plays this anymore? They're doing a big invitational with a couple magic pros this month.

Not really, it's kind of bad. Tried to like it, couldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

always be closing posted:

I stopped playing mostly just due to other things coming down the pipe. I left with a good impression though.

• Locked thread