Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

reverieeee posted:

i was listening to npr when i was going to get gas because it's like the only semi-entertaining thing on the radio and some dude said "we can choose our gender but we're admonished for choosing our race"

:wrongful:

NPR is trash and panders to the lowest common outrage denominator. Remember when they ran with "Street Fighter 2 was racist" as an important discussion? http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2014/03/16/290119728/street-fighter-ii-most-racist-nostalgic-video-game-ever

Literal waste of airtime and money.

Anyway, back down the rabbit hole.

Our spotlight swings on Joshua Doležal, who is Rachel's older brother and an Associate Professor of English at Central College, a liberal arts college in Iowa. As mentioned previously Joshua is the defendant a sexual assault trial (accused by Rachel) that will begin in August. He has contested the charges, and is free on $15,000 bail while awaiting trial.

Joshua wrote Down from the Mountaintop, an account of his life growing up in what appears to be a strange Pentecostal religious cult. Rachel was also brought up in this environment.

Blurb from the book. http://www.uiowapress.org/books/2014-spring/down-mountaintop.htm

quote:

A lyrical coming-of-age memoir, Down from the Mountaintop chronicles a quest for belonging. Raised in northwestern Montana by Pentecostal homesteaders whose twenty-year experiment in subsistence living was closely tied to their faith, Joshua Doležal experienced a childhood marked equally by his parents’ quest for spiritual transcendence and the surrounding Rocky Mountain landscape. Unable to fully embrace the fundamentalism of his parents, he began to search for religious experience elsewhere: in baseball, books, and weightlifting, then later in migrations to Tennessee, Nebraska, and Uruguay. Yet even as he sought to understand his place in the world, he continued to yearn for his mountain home.

Rachel and Joshua's parents are Larry and Ruthanne Dolezal. Rachel's ex husband is Kevin Moore who is black.

Some points about the parents Larry and Ruthanne from Joshua's book.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/rachel-dolezal-grew-strict-christian-family-book-article-1.2260238

quote:

The two siblings, born just two years apart, were raised in tiny Troy, Mont., by Larry and Ruthanne Dolezal, ex-hippies who turned to religion for life’s answers.

Their zealot father spoke in tongues and made them wait to eat dinner every night while he read a chapter of the Bible, the memoir said.

The family of evangelists had no TV and little contact with the outside world.

Larry Dolezal delivered both his children at home, and put on the birth certificates that Jesus Christ was the witness, Joshua Dolezal wrote.

Their mom Ruthanne believed Christians could heal each other and were shielded from evil doings by God’s love.

She allowed her children to read Christian books like “The Chronicles of Narnia.”

But their dad chastised their laziness for lazing indoors with books rather than working the soil alongside him.

He flew into a rage when he discovered Joshua Dolezal reading “White Fang,” the memoir said.

Direct excerpts from Joshua's book

https://homeschoolersanonymous.word...ist-upbringing/

quote:

My mother grew up without a television, and when she and my father married, living in a tipi for a year before building a house on the land they purchased on a mountain overlooking Troy, they shared a vision of home as a refuge from the outside world. My sister was born there, delivered by my father, as I had been.

But after summer turned to fall, my mother miscarried and nearly hemorrhaged to death. She wanted no meddling doctors, no false priests. If it was God's will she should die, then so it must be.

My mother sometimes called me a survivor of the holocaust on the unborn, since I was born after Roe vs Wade. Her distrust of clinicians was so strong I was born at home, without a physician or midwife and only my father and the one witness noted on my birth certificate--Jesus Christ--to see me through. Near the end of my senior year, my parents adopted the first of four [black] children, determined to show their commitment to the pro-life cause,

This does sort of explain why Rachel is claiming her adopted brother is her son if she wants to keep him away from her crazy parents. From the frying pan of crazy to the fire of crazy I suppose.

Also from the blog (R.L. Stollar)

quote:

I have also heard testimonies from numerous homeschool alumni who grew up knowing the Dolezal family that frequent and significant child abuse occurred in the family. The parents allegedly forced both Rachel and her older, biological brother Joshua to beat their younger, adopted siblings with plumbing supply line and two foot long glue sticks, a practice inspired by Michael and Debi Pearl’s book, To Train Up a Child.
According to my sources, infant spanking (in public in their church parking lot, even) and blanket training were also common in the Dolezal family. Additionally, Rachel’s adopted brother Izaiah Dolezal has himself raised public allegations against his parents involving physical punishment, forced labor, and isolation in out-of-state group homes.

And the cherry on top about Larry Dolezal, the father.

quote:

Her father, Larry Dolezal, worked for Creation Ministries International and was charged in 1999 with felony theft though the charges were later dismissed.

In excerpts from his book, Joshua appears to support Rachel's story about domestic violence from her then husband Kevin Moore.

https://homeschoolersanonymous.word...ist-upbringing/

quote:

He [Kevin Moore] wrote back: "Protecting my wife is my business, not yours. No one lives with her but me and our son. I don't want you putting ideas in her head."

He was reading her messages. Things were worse than I'd thought.

My [Joshua Dolezal] reply: "Protecting' your wife becomes my business when your wife is my sister and your control interferes with her life. I will defend her right to privacy and freedom. You have no right to deny her that."

Still nothing from her [Rachel], so I called.

"What's going on? Can you talk, or is he home?"

"It's OK," she said, "but I wish you wouldn't write. It makes everything worse."

"Makes what worse?"

"He hasn't hit me yet, but he's thrown me by my hair twice."

"What? That bastard. I had no idea."

"I'm scared. The other day I was walking out of the bathroom and he bumped me with his hip and I fell down. He said, 'Look--I can knock you over with nothing but my skinny little rear end.' And he wakes me at three in the morning by licking me. Sometimes he's on top of me before I'm even awake. He's done that before, but now it happens every day. It's freaking me out."

I [Joshua] read everything I could find about domestic violence: the wheel of power, the isolation, the intimidation, the guilt, the victim's denial. I murdered him hundreds of times in my sleep.

:stare: Now granted the guy is an English professor so I wonder about the total accuracy of all this.

However, yeah I think this clusterfuck is going to be turned into a movie. Jfc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Helical Nightmares posted:

However, yeah I think this clusterfuck is going to be turned into a movie. Jfc.

Can we call it Brown Paper Bag

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Why is everyone taking any of this seriously this lady is obviously bonkers

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Joshua wrote Down from the Mountaintop, an account of his life growing up in what appears to be a strange Pentecostal religious cult. Rachel was also brought up in this environment.

back in the 80s, montana was a hotbed for new age/millennialist cults awaiting the end of the world from nuclear fire/ozone depletion/aids, probably because it is in the middle of nowhere and they want to be left alone

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

LethalGeek posted:

Why is everyone taking any of this seriously this lady is obviously bonkers

Well because a lot of people would like it turn out be legal to just assume minority status. There are conservatives who will support this woman's choice to "be black" because they would love to make similar claims whenever it benefits them.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

poor woman is coming off the back of Chet Haze. If only she were first she'd be off the hook instead of considered suspect

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Paladinus posted:

Until I have a DNA test, I'm all ethnicities at the same time. I'm a Schrodinger friend of the family, if you will.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i think it's hilarious liberals are fighting over an adjunct college professor in washington state while jeb bush marked hispanic on that form or whatever, speaks spanish, will win the cuban vote and carry florida and become president

:lol::lol::lol:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Omi-Polari posted:

i think it's hilarious liberals are fighting over an adjunct college professor in washington state while jeb bush marked hispanic on that form or whatever, speaks spanish, will win the cuban vote and carry florida and become president

:lol::lol::lol:

FLORIDA :argh:

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

It's the circle...

The ciiircle of white.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

white npr liberals are going to gun for this hard they have got the most authentic dashikis back in the back of the walkin closet they look sooooooo cute in it and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g9poWKKpbU

lmao poverty tourism and music video. tell me more mr arkansas IT man.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

NPR is trash and panders to the lowest common outrage denominator. Remember when they ran with "Street Fighter 2 was racist" as an important discussion? http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2014/03/16/290119728/street-fighter-ii-most-racist-nostalgic-video-game-ever

Literal waste of airtime and money.

i mean when npr isn't doing their "i'm better than you neener neener" circlejerk liberal poo poo they have some decent segments, i like their music stuff and also radiolab/science friday/all tech considered

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

reverieeee posted:

i mean when npr isn't doing their "i'm better than you neener neener" circlejerk liberal poo poo they have some decent segments, i like their music stuff and also radiolab/science friday/all tech considered

Oh I agree in general but I've just had it up to here with it and the "important discussion about race in video games in the early 90s or whatever" when Street Fighter 2 was amazing at the time because it actually had the graphics and novel idea to showcase other ethnicities; was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

Also if you want science news people should go to the Nature, Science or Scientific American podcasts. More actual information and analysis from professionals and less cutesy production noises from dipshits.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
if npr was relevant i think limbaugh would have destroyed it on his show today, but i dont think it is

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

lol you listen to limburger

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

lol you listen to limburger

I can't speak for gently caress the Row; but listening to/reading diverse media, in particular points of view antithetical to your own, is important, yo.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

I can't speak for gently caress the Row; but listening to/reading diverse media, in particular points of view antithetical to your own, is important, yo.

No, NO! Shut off this mans keyboard. Shut it off! Get him out of here!

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Oh I agree in general but I've just had it up to here with it and the "important discussion about race in video games in the early 90s or whatever" when Street Fighter 2 was amazing at the time because it actually had the graphics and novel idea to showcase other ethnicities; was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

Also if you want science news people should go to the Nature, Science or Scientific American podcasts. More actual information and analysis from professionals and less cutesy production noises from dipshits.

yeahhhhhhhhh npr does get too self-righteous and hard-left for me sometimes and i end up turning it off and listening to judge or youth of today or whatever

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
this is what i listen to when i drive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5ydL_dVP9w

in my big truck

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

Omi-Polari posted:

this is what i listen to when i drive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5ydL_dVP9w

in my big truck

this makes me embarrassed of my early puberty years

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
L

Snak posted:

Well because a lot of people would like it turn out be legal to just assume minority status. There are conservatives who will support this woman's choice to "be black" because they would love to make similar claims whenever it benefits them.

"Lol let's willfully ignore essential identity conflicts because it!s inconvenient to substantial policy!"

- a liberal

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

this is 'catch me if you can' starring the bass player from korn

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

katlington posted:

this is 'catch me if you can' starring the bass player from korn

uhh, he has a name, jerk. His name is Fieldy

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

That's true but acting like Limbaugh isn't anything but a media whore moron is well completely bullshit and undermines whatever point you're trying to make here.

Slide Rule
Feb 21, 2007

Emoticons will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law

LethalGeek posted:

That's true but acting like Limbaugh isn't anything but a media whore moron is well completely bullshit and undermines whatever point you're trying to make here.

I agree and I think you are right

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
say what you will but limbaugh destroyed this a full three days ago... thats just a fact

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

LethalGeek posted:

idk i think limbaugh is a pretty clever media whore. he has this whole bilking angry rubes for money thing down to a t, liberal con artists are only just starting to crack the surface on that!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

fits my needs posted:

lmao poverty tourism and music video. tell me more mr arkansas IT man.

you must have me confused with somebody else, sorry

reverieeee posted:

yeahhhhhhhhh npr does get too self-righteous and hard-left for me sometimes and i end up turning it off and listening to judge or youth of today or whatever
the 30 minute softball sessions for whatever ignorant rear end lindsey graham shitbag conservative they're trying to give Equal Time to are particularly painful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Mercilessly owned by memes, saved on the Internet forever

• Locked thread