Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan
Ever since I was young, I've always been fascinated with treasure stories, and in my spare time I especially enjoy reading about and researching treasure stories which may contain an element of truth to them. Just last month, a 55KG silver bar was found off the coast of Madagascar and may have been part of Captain Kidd's lost treasure, so there's definitely tons of interesting stuff out there just waiting to be found (of course there's always Byron Preiss' treasure too)! :agesilaus:.

One story I find particularly interesting is the Lost Addams Diggings in New Mexico. Believed to be located somewhere in the Southwestern quadrant of the state (which is a gold producing area, so there's a possibility the diggings may actually exist), this recent book has quite a bit to say on the subject, but to date no one has ever found anything conclusive.

Another interesting hunt is for treasure allegedly sunk by the Nazis during WWII in Lake Toplitz, Austria. There's been some efforts to search for the treasure, but according to Wikipedia,

quote:

...There being a layer of sunken logs floating half way to the bottom of the lake, making diving beyond it hazardous or impossible. Gerhard Zauner, one of the divers on the 1959 expedition, reports that he saw a sunken aircraft below this layer. The area is accessible only on foot by a mile-long path, as the K-Mautner-Weg is a private road that serves the Fisherman's Hut restaurant at the western end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Even though it's most likely bullshit and not treasure at all, I've always been fond of Oak Island and the Money Pit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak_Island

quote:

Oak Island is a 57-hectare (140-acre) island in Lunenburg County on the south shore of Nova Scotia, Canada. The tree-covered island is one of about 360 small islands in Mahone Bay and rises to a maximum of 11 metres (36 feet) above sea level. Located 200 metres (660 feet) from shore and connected to the mainland by a modern causeway, the island is privately owned.

Oak Island is noted as the location of the so-called Money Pit and the site of over 200 years of treasure hunting.[1] Repeated excavations have reported layers of apparently human-made artifacts as deep as 31 metres (102 ft), but ended in collapsed excavations and flooding. Critics argue that there is no treasure and that the pit is a natural phenomenon, likely a sinkhole.

There was a good documentary on TV a year or two ago that profiled the latest pack of suckers who think they can find piles of doubloons or whatever.

The list of "potential" treasures that are presumed to be buried in there is hilarious.
Pirate treasure
Naval treasure
Marie Antoinette's jewels
Shakespeare manuscripts
Knights Templar treasure
Freemason treasure
Viking ship
Or just a prank

I'd like to see someone finally pull up a metric ton of gold, but that's about as likely as finding bigfoot it seems.

TheDon01 has a new favorite as of 04:08 on Jun 17, 2015

• Locked thread