Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

jon stewart should do the world a mercy and diminish into obscurity and let the memory of his horseshit fade into nothing

like the snows of yesteryear, gone from this earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calbiyum
May 18, 2015

Universe Master posted:

He skips them every night.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
Didn't he cry on his show after 9/11?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
*lectures jewishly*

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Agag posted:

Didn't he cry on his show after 9/11?
what a dumb rear end, I loved it when terrorists destroyed the World Trade Center, killing thousands, I LOL'd, for darn sure

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

EL BROMANCE posted:

But 'real journalism' is pure garbage a lot of the time. My housemate was working alongside the BBC yesterday on a piece about Snowden, and they thought he was the wikileaks guy.

This is not an isolated incident as to how bad and dumb these people are.

what is the purpose of a journalism degree?

a journalism degree should always be a minor coupled with major in STEMs, the social sciences, history, anthropology, military science. something to act as a focus for a journalist's career so they know what they are reporting on and can call bullshit if need be.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

most of y'all some fuckin' idiots

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Fabricated posted:

He discovered America is beyond parody; it really is a dystopian hellhole filled with the dumbest, most vile people ever to walk the earth

Please. His brother is some really big name on Wall St. and he covered the W. Bush administration. He's known for a drat good long while.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
What's funny is that as soon as Jon Stewart finally rallies the liberals to take up arms and overthrow this dangerous government is the exact day the government will finally make guns illegal.... then what are they gonna do?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

GORDON posted:

What's funny is that as soon as Jon Stewart finally rallies the liberals to take up arms and overthrow this dangerous government is the exact day the government will finally make guns illegal.... then what are they gonna do?
Surely you can look at your doddering idiot cousin the UK and see that guns are not the only way people are murdered, if that is in fact how you want to overthrow the government (the last real government overthrow we had was in 1974 and it was down to a prolonged coal mining strike, perhaps your oil workers could do the same if you want rid of your government, hth).

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

jBrereton posted:

Surely you can look at your doddering idiot cousin the UK and see that guns are not the only way people are murdered, if that is in fact how you want to overthrow the government (the last real government overthrow we had was in 1974 and it was down to a prolonged coal mining strike, perhaps your oil workers could do the same if you want rid of your government, hth).

our oil workers are all muslims who already hate the usa and live in the middle east

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
At least he isn't Larry loving Wilmore. Goddamnit that show isn't funny.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Yeah larry wilmore's show sucks

stump collector
May 28, 2007
remember chocolate news??

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

BigBoss posted:

our oil workers are all muslims who already hate the usa and live in the middle east
The US produces the vast majority of the oil it uses, and it barely exports it. Here is Bloomberg saying mostly the same thing if you want their opinion.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

Veskit posted:

Skipping the jokes is loving annoying because all John does is get on his high horse about how he's a comedian and not a journalist and that by speaking the truth you can use that as the core driver of comedy. If you then get off the comedy train and do straight journalism while claiming that you need no journalistic duty or integrity it's going to drive people bonkers. Certainly drives me bonkers. Just say you are a funny journalist and then you won't have this dumb issue.

Yeah I've heard him say that nobody would get the jokes if they didn't know the news already, and I think that's a bit disingenuous. And the guests blow, or the ones that don't are just token appearances (or I suppose all of them are).

But John Stewart is an actual funny guy to watch on tv so :shrug:

And as for the Nightly Show, who the gently caress puts the show's staff on? And nobody with a brain gives a poo poo about anybody from the blaze. It's like they're televising bad decisions.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
Actually while we're on a roll what does :goonsay: feel about Last Week Tonight?

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Last week tonight with John Oliver is the replacement funny/maddening news show. It is a good show.

Shame that Oliver always gets within earshot of the real problem (unfettered capitalism) but is content to dissect the symptoms. it's better than John Stewart's funnyman no responsibility shtick.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

man say a thing. bwaaa?? *make funny face*

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005

Ferroque posted:

man say a thing. bwaaa?? *make funny face*

i am a serious man. i am only seriously humored by serious things.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
How did this show and its imitators become so important?

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
I think it works like ET for people who like books.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
Holy christ et's website is nuts

Also I learned from it that the thread is literal.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Stewart is right tho, Arby's does suck

Pulp Can Move
Oct 4, 2012
Larry Wilmore's show is the television equivalent of that gif with the kid spitting watermelon juice.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Agag posted:

It's crazy isn't it? Stephen Colbert got to testify to congress in character

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Agag posted:

huh??? it hasn't been for years. and "important" prolly isn't the right word as it's mostly just impotent college kids or gently caress-YOUDAD-IM-GOING-TO-WATCH-DAILYSHOW-AND-BE-A-REBEL high-schoolers with a smattering of mid-late 20s viewers who only catch it every so often and laugh at the latest fox news clip+facesmirk.

if you want to ask why it became so popular, that's easy--bush. bush was so loving horrible but no one was allowed to criticize even the smallest modicum of his administration in the early-mid 2000s without being labelled unpatriotic, terrorist,etc etc. and major news from cnn to fox was hoorah bush bush american #1#1#1 mission accomplished type bullshit being forced down everyone's throats and lot of places had fox news turned on 24/7. so daily show was pretty much the major getaway from that and was one of the very few shows on the network tv during the early that could criticize and laugh at the absurdity of it all.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
I wish Jon would do more. Maybe strip naked and have written something across his chest or at least link a petition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Hoping someone reports in on whether he brings the jokes back tonight.

• Locked thread