Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Noblesse Obliged posted:

i worry less about humans falling to this extinction even than i worry about the sudden diversification of new lifeforms that will follow it. humans likely will survive, but what also will survive will be a whole new explosion of species specialized to kill and feed on us.

Isn't that the premise of After Earth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

boom boom boom posted:

Isn't that the premise of After Earth?

Heh, forgot all about that. That movie right there is another good reason why I'm pretty ok with our dumb, violent ape-species being driven to starvation by our own actions.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Robo Reagan posted:

that;s not really how evolution works

Look at this loving guy telling me, a highly trained evolutionist how evolution works. I practically invented evolution. I've personally logged over 300 hours on Spore the evolution simulator. I've forgotten more about evolution than you'll ever know boy-o.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Look at this loving guy telling me, a highly trained evolutionist how evolution works. I practically invented evolution. I've personally logged over 300 hours on Spore the evolution simulator. I've forgotten more about evolution than you'll ever know boy-o.

Hey yeah! If evolution got us into this mess, maybe evolution can get us out. Could we... I dunno, evolve into some kind of species that doesn't habitually destroy its own environment through greed and carelessness? Or, failing that, evolve into something that can derive sustenance from oil slicks and industrial waste and UV radiation? Some kind of scaled toxic lizard creature?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

Hey yeah! If evolution got us into this mess, maybe evolution can get us out. Could we... I dunno, evolve into some kind of species that doesn't habitually destroy its own environment through greed and carelessness? Or, failing that, evolve into something that can derive sustenance from oil slicks and industrial waste and UV radiation? Some kind of scaled toxic lizard creature?

This. What is holding us back? Isnt someone here an evolutionist ???

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

thathonkey posted:

You got to earn evolution by gaining Evo points for doing poo poo like successfully loving someone so you're all hosed I'm afraid. Hb7s or better .

ChlorophileAddict
Jun 15, 2015

thathonkey posted:

well evolution takes a while.
However, when they went into the old Chernobyl plant they discovered these black mushrooms that fed on radiation and that were apparently radiation free themselves and edible. Turns out that melanin that makes them black also offered them protection from the UV radiation.
It would probably be interesting to see if humans could get that type of melanin methinks

changing the human nature which is greed based... that might be harder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

investing in guns and marijuana, future lookin good

• Locked thread