Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

King of Bees posted:

Liver and onions top billed dinner. Lol. Does any chain serve that any more? No thanks, I'll have the sandwich Americana, extra cheese sauce smothering please.

Imagine the taste of liver and onions enhanced by the aroma of people chain smoking in a Denny's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

glowing-fish posted:

Imagine the taste of liver and onions enhanced by the aroma of people chain smoking in a Denny's.

this actually sounds really good

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

glowing-fish posted:

My childhood :allears:

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Skeleton Ape posted:

My childhood :allears:

Even though you are sitting in the non-smoking section, your Aunt Helen lights up a Virginia Slim. The waitress is too busy to say anything, and even if she wasn't, it would be a bit rude to bring the issue up. Your eyes water and you cough because you have asthma, but Aunt Helen and your mom are too busy gossiping to notice. When the waitress comes over to take your order, Aunt Helen looks over at you and says "the boy looks a little pale, might be getting anemic, lets get him some liver and onions".

...was this basically it?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I didn't want to try liver and anything since seeing that episode when I was young but I had calf liver and onions recently. I figured if it was the equivalent of 35 dollars it can't be bad. It was alright.

Risky
May 18, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

Remember that 1991 Simpsons episode where sushi was a crazy exotic thing for a middle class white American to try?

Rich girl in breakfast club brought sushi for lunch to school. It must have been something only wealthy people ate in the 80s and it started getting mainstream popular in the 90s.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Demonachizer posted:

I was raised in a household with parents that still knew how to cook so I never ate that garbage. I know what you are talking about though because I had a neighbor friend who ate mustard sandwiches (mustard, lettuce and white bread). They were super poor also (we all were) and the mother worked as a lunch lady in a school cafeteria so they also always had the foil pack lunches that were leftover.

This post brought to you by Demonachizer.

this post turned depressing really quick

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

Zzulu posted:

thirteen percent of the U.S. population consumes pizza on any given day.

"why are we fat", the fatties asked themselves as they stuffed their maw with cheese and bread

I read somewhere that Norwegians eat more pizza per capita than any other ethnicity on the planet

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

notZaar posted:

Liver and onion is probably pretty healthy but I find it hard to eat chopped liver. It's so dry and odd tasting.

liver and onion isnt served the same was as chopped liver usually, its like whole liver pieces instead of cat food style

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

TEAYCHES posted:

lol this actually was good

i paused it right as they took sips of their liquid slams and i knew they were going to melt into t2 metallic puddles

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines

glowing-fish posted:

Even though you are sitting in the non-smoking section, your Aunt Helen lights up a Virginia Slim. The waitress is too busy to say anything, and even if she wasn't, it would be a bit rude to bring the issue up. Your eyes water and you cough because you have asthma, but Aunt Helen and your mom are too busy gossiping to notice. When the waitress comes over to take your order, Aunt Helen looks over at you and says "the boy looks a little pale, might be getting anemic, lets get him some liver and onions".

...was this basically it?

Hell yeah, flicking the ashes into a water cup since there's no ashtray :allears:

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4M2gHprbMM

I like that this is recorded off a VCR, it gives the impression that we are really looking at a document of a long-ago and forgotten time (which, indeed, we are).

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
I always wonder why Americans call their main courses entrées. Clearly, even from the meaning of the word, Entrées are not main courses.

Please stop using entrée to denote the main course of the meal. It is a plate preceding the main course.

thank you Americans for not confusing me in your restaurants

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

glowing-fish posted:

I know that foodies get their share of hate, and a lot of it is justified, especially when they invent constant new trends and allergies and other stuff to make life more complicated for us.

On the other hand, does anyone remember the 1980s?

I remember being a kid in the 1980s and eating baloney sandwiches on white bread. With maybe a slice of American cheese. Or maybe just eating American cheese slices straight. We had two competing brands of peanut butter, Skippy and Jif, and both were loaded with sugar. When I was in elementary school, the fancy kids had Capri-Suns, which (along with Sunny-D) was probably considered a health food because it contained 2% fruit juice. In kindergarten, the teacher told parents to save velveeta boxes for school supplies, because of course every housewife would cook with velveeta. Even at the lower end of the scale, there were two fast food restaurants: McDonalds and Burger King. Pizza hadn't even really become a thing yet. TACO BELL was exotic. And in most towns, or even cities, the most exotic cuisine you could probably find was the local Chinese restaurant. Basically, unless you lived in maybe San Francisco or New York, you were stuck eating the same bland, processed foods forever and thinking that a trip to an All-You-Can-Eat seafood restaurant was fancy.

So as much as we might look down on foodies, go eat a mayonnaise sandwich and tell me the occasional bursts of pretention aren't worth it.

shut up, grandpa

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Boner Slam posted:

I always wonder why Americans call their main courses entrées. Clearly, even from the meaning of the word, Entrées are not main courses.

Please stop using entrée to denote the main course of the meal. It is a plate preceding the main course.

entree is a french word and french people are complete assholes about meals so gently caress them i hope we call them entrees because Ben Franklin decided to do some trolling while doing diplomacy and it followed him back home

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I once had liver and onions at Old Country Buffet

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

Boner Slam posted:

it's right there in Wikipedia, you lazy bum.

"In North American English, the term retains an older meaning describing a heavy, meat course,[4] due to the disappearance in the early 20th century of a large communal main course such as a roast as a standard part of the meal in the English-speaking world. This use of the term is almost unheard of outside North America, as most other English speakers follow contemporary French usage, generally considering the word "entrée" to mean a first course.[1][5][6][7]"

North American English retains a lot of old forms of English that didn't evolve with the modern British forms. Take the word "gotten" for instance. It isn't "wrong" but a lot of Brits hate it.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

RaceBannon posted:

it's right there in Wikipedia, you lazy bum.

"In North American English, the term retains an older meaning describing a heavy, meat course,[4] due to the disappearance in the early 20th century of a large communal main course such as a roast as a standard part of the meal in the English-speaking world. This use of the term is almost unheard of outside North America, as most other English speakers follow contemporary French usage, generally considering the word "entrée" to mean a first course.[1][5][6][7]"

North American English retains a lot of old forms of English that didn't evolve with the modern British forms. Take the word "gotten" for instance. It isn't "wrong" but a lot of Brits hate it.

It's still not an (old) English word dipshit, the lack of a communal main course doesn't make a modern presentation of a main course an entrée.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i really hope we can argue like a bunch of fags over proper use of the word entree

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Robo Reagan posted:

i really hope we can argue like a bunch of fags over proper use of the word entree

thats what the forums are for!

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

Boner Slam posted:

It's still not an (old) English word dipshit, the lack of a communal main course doesn't make a modern presentation of a main course an entrée.

Settle down, silly. My point was that language sort of gets stuck sometimes. Calling you a lazy bum was meant to be playful.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I once had liver and onions at Old Country Buffet

Was it in '83 when it was the most popular dish in America?

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

entrées on trays

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

King of Bees posted:

Was it in '83 when it was the most popular dish in America?

This was mid to late 90s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

glowing-fish posted:

The presence of pizza as a popular food item across America encourages the earlier adoption of Italians into the rest of American culture. With friendlier American-Italian relations, Italy never falls to fascism, and thus, Hitler is just another forgotten putschist. The US never develops computers or space travel, and thus we aren't having this discussion right now, and also aliens destroy our country in 2056.

See what you've done?

All part of the plan. :v:

• Locked thread