Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keg
Sep 22, 2014
I voted this thread a 5, because INRI is good at making GBS be accidentally funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

Hey! It's a picture of my wife leaving me.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I.N.R.I posted:

Is it cos of your family?

I usually think "most people are just good and normal" but then I spend a little time on the internet.

I wonder what the actual percentages are...

People living normal lives with relationships and not thinking about killing themselves all the time

and

everyone else.

But, I guess among the normal cross section of western civilization livers, people who post on SA are probably in the "everyone else" category, being absolutely miserable every day, and thinking they are the enlightened ones.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
It's what is referred to as a biased sampling frame op. Normal mentally healthy people wouldn't go to the bizarre and desperate lengths of posting on the internet, not to earnestly exchange useful information but just chattering about any old poo poo, with strangers they would probably want nothing to do with in real life, and often in a haughty and judgemental (yet ironic) way while making jokes they hope and entertain the fantasy that people find funny, in some completely perverted attempt at self actualisation

i had a manic grin while typing this because the powerful feeling of casting down a harsh judgement on people who reminded me of myself temporarily lifted me from my crushing feelings of self hatred

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
you can tell a real retard from the way they use words like "enlightened" unironically

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

vug posted:

strangers they would probably want nothing to do with in real life

w-were friends now *twitch*

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

vug posted:

It's what is referred to as a biased sampling frame op. Normal mentally healthy people wouldn't go to the bizarre and desperate lengths of posting on the internet, not to earnestly exchange useful information but just chattering about any old poo poo, with strangers they would probably want nothing to do with in real life, and often in a haughty and judgemental (yet ironic) way while making jokes they hope and entertain the fantasy that people find funny, in some completely perverted attempt at self actualisation

i had a manic grin while typing this because the powerful feeling of casting down a harsh judgement on people who reminded me of myself temporarily lifted me from my crushing feelings of self hatred
harsh, but true

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

just read some opening lines from a ben marcus story, thought of yall:

quote:

At work today, Thomas the Dead, as he had privately named himself, made a grave miscalculation by using baby talk with a colleague. He had not previously stooped, even with his own child, to baby talk. Why give the boy another reason to look at him in that cold, queer way of his? Nor had Thomas indulged in the sweet-toned animal coos that his colleagues babbled at one another when they banked and crashed around the lab on their foolish errands. Thomas preferred last words, the sort of speech to be discharged on one’s deathbed. He guessed that some unpleasant number of decades ago, as a teenager, when he wore a thin beard and sported a tie with his short-sleeved dress shirts, he must have sounded old and tired and bitterly impatient, a youth who had already drawn firm conclusions on the key issues of the day, back when certainty was a young man’s best chance at securing a mate and avoiding a life of hellish solitude, not that this had worked so neatly for him. Thomas was one for whom speech, the bursting, songlike kind that showed the world what an imbecile you were, was an annoyance that also happened to sour his body like a toxin."

e: lol just read The Moors by ben marcus it stars a goon

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

quakster posted:

you can tell a real retard from the way they use words like "enlightened" unironically

Too many syllables? I should have said, "Everyone sitting around knowing everyone else is a sheep." That's just better internet.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

GORDON posted:

People living normal lives with relationships and not thinking about killing themselves all the time

and

everyone else.

It's possible to have a loving family, mostly normal relationships, and a pretty good career, but still wish that you did not have to survive the night. It's possible that, despite all your successes, you still see yourself as a monument to human failure thanks to crippling, irrational self-hatred, brought on by a largely misunderstood physiological condition that happens to have dire effects on emotions and behavior.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
I'm not sad and miserable

I just like the cheap thrill of loving and fighting

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Kyrie eleison posted:

Just D&D posting, and posting elsewhere, and reading weird internet sites and watching weird youtubes, and working at my job I enjoy, and spending time with or calling family, and going out with friends for drinks, and hanging out with some special friends online, and spending lots of quality time doing things by myself either at home or away, and exercising and having a healthy but satisfying diet, and reading the Bible and sometimes other books, and going to church and sometimes confession, and having a great time with my church community, and making sure to give a few dollars and a smile here and there to people on the street, which is all very enjoyable really.

god bless

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GORDON posted:

Too many syllables? I should have said, "Everyone sitting around knowing everyone else is a sheep." That's just better internet.
that's better

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Lol at anyone who doesn't see lady parts.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

I.N.R.I posted:

Is it cos of your family?

Family's fine, it's just the world that's disappointing and sad.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Great answers so far everyone, thanks for posting them. I especially like the ones that are like 400+ words long

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

lonesomedwarf posted:

can i be your special internet friend too i have a bible in front of me. it is the king james version with the old and new testament inside. it has all the words in it and each page turns properly when you want it to. i havent read it but i bought it with my own, real money. it is here in the same room as me and i can read it any time, but i havent got around to it yet..... or should i say..... HEAVENT got around to it! ha ha, thats a little joke only bible readers will understand. but seriously we are friends now

Sorry but kyrie is some kind of weird time traveling reactionary catholic, your version of the bible is incompatible with his.

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

i live for the posts

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

i have post traumatic stress disorder since i got burned by the taint reaper tho

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
the KJV isn't too bad, the catholic bishops approved later revisions of it like RSV and NRSV (though with the deuterocanonical books put in the traditional order and suchlike)
you want shakespearean english you want the douay-rheims version though ideally

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene
what i want to know is why are goons so cynical? it's impossible to like something on this forum without someone making GBS threads on it

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

what i want to know is why are goons so cynical? it's impossible to like something on this forum without someone making GBS threads on it
self-deprecation/schadenfreude/trolling/psychopathy/sociopathy/agitation/boredom/misinterpretation/comedic hyperbole

it's piss-easy to like something and even be open about it if you do it right, though. i'm gay as gently caress for jojo, for example

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerenaT
Jan 16, 2015
I'm Aware That I'm Poor And Stupid

• Locked thread